Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Criminal Check PR Application help!

Wikiposts

Criminal Check PR Application help!

Old Nov 29th 2009, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

Matt Lazenby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Criminal Check PR Application help!

Hey everyone,

Just filling my PR application. Wife is Canadian and she is sponsoring me. I've been here getting on 2years already (initially BUNAC then TWP.) I'm worried over the criminal record aspect of my application. When I applied with BUNAC I had a conviction on my record, from when I was fined in court for swearing infront of a police-officer (silly mistake but harmless nevertheless.) The offence happened 6 years ago when I was 19. I attached a letter explaining the circumstances and I haven't had any problems with immigration since.

Now I'm worried about what to put on my PR application. I presume this will still come up on my record? or would it be considered spent now? Would it be overlooked as it's such a minor offence? Is it worth getting a crim-check done before to see if it's still there? (if so, how long does that take to get)?

Hope I can get some advice. I want to get my PR application done within the first week or so of January.

Matt
Old Nov 29th 2009, 5:31 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Criminal Check PR Application help!

Hi

Originally Posted by Matt Lazenby
Hey everyone,

Just filling my PR application. Wife is Canadian and she is sponsoring me. I've been here getting on 2years already (initially BUNAC then TWP.) I'm worried over the criminal record aspect of my application. When I applied with BUNAC I had a conviction on my record, from when I was fined in court for swearing infront of a police-officer (silly mistake but harmless nevertheless.) The offence happened 6 years ago when I was 19. I attached a letter explaining the circumstances and I haven't had any problems with immigration since.

Now I'm worried about what to put on my PR application. I presume this will still come up on my record? or would it be considered spent now? Would it be overlooked as it's such a minor offence? Is it worth getting a crim-check done before to see if it's still there? (if so, how long does that take to get)?

Hope I can get some advice. I want to get my PR application done within the first week or so of January.

Matt
1. Admit the conviction on your application. It is at most a summary offence and will not effect your PR. Fail to report it and you can find your application dragging out, as CIC/CHC will wonder what else you "forgot" to mention. It is quite likely to show up on your PCC as "no live trace" which to CIC/CHC is a red flag as it means there is something criminal in your past and the conviction has been "stepped down"
Old Nov 29th 2009, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

You got taken to court for swearing??? Is it a criminal offence to swear then? You would think the courts would have better things to do with their time. Sorry, I haven't got any helpful info for you, just found that incredible that they took you to court for swearing.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Matt Lazenby is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah the whole thing was ridiculous to be honest. Basically, the police were giving me and my friends a hard time for being stood outside a club at the end of the night, drunk and loud (like most young people after a night out.) After not hearing one of the policewomen say "the next person who I hear swear is getting arrested" I made the fatal mistake of turning to a friend and saying "(expletive) this, I'm off home."
Next thing I knew I was being handcuffed, with absolutely no idea why! The next morning they told me I would have to pay a fine and if I didn't like that I would have to attest it in court. Me, being a 20 year old student and feeling incredibly wronged, decided not to pay the fine there and then!
So, I ended up going to court where I had the lovely pleasure of hearing a completly fabricated account of what I said! I guess they couldn't get away with arresting someone for simply using a swear word to say they were going home. Small town police with nothing better to do on a friday night can get away with these things eh?

Anyway, thanks for the advice. It's probably best to be honest. Besides, I'm thinking that it would be stupid to all of a sudden say I have never been arrested, after I had to declare this incident for my BUNAC visa application.

Still I'm thinking of getting my record processed when I'm back for Xmas. Any idea how long it takes to get the crim-check done in UK? I honestly can't remember.

Take care,

Matt

Matt
Old Nov 29th 2009, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

£35 for the standard 10 day service and £70 for the fast tracked 2 day service. Allow a few days either side as well for postage. Website to go to is http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

Tim

Last edited by tim010; Nov 29th 2009 at 12:46 pm. Reason: Added link to obtain the certificate