Credit time for living in Canada.

Old Jun 7th 2004, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit time for living in Canada.

Hello All,

Could somebody from the list share your views about what would be the credit that of a person on a Working or Student Permit who have been living in Canada for 3 years and got the Permanent Resident. When would be the right time to apply for the Canadian Citizenship??

Thanks,

Redwings
Old Jun 7th 2004, 2:12 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Credit time for living in Canada.

Each day in Canada prior to becoming a PR counts as a half a day and such days can be accumulated for up to the max total of 1 year when counting days required for citizenship application eligibility. And of course all those counted days must be within 4 years period immediately preceding citizenship application.

So, if you were in Canada for 3 years prior to becoming a PR and you stay put in Canada since becoming a PR then you can apply for citizenship 2 years after landing (1 year accumulated prior to PR and 2 years after PR).

Originally posted by Redwings
Hello All,

Could somebody from the list share your views about what would be the credit that of a person on a Working or Student Permit who have been living in Canada for 3 years and got the Permanent Resident. When would be the right time to apply for the Canadian Citizenship??

Thanks,

Redwings
Old Jun 7th 2004, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

frankwang is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you show me the article saying max 1
year is counted?
Old Jun 7th 2004, 6:14 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Frank

Originally posted by frankwang
Can you show me the article saying max 1
year is counted?
I should say that you might want to search on the CIC site, but I will be nice. see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/...h/cp/cp05e.pdf

PMM
Old Jun 7th 2004, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks.
No article says it directly.
But technically, you can only get a maximal 1 year credit becuz only recent 4 years are counted.

Originally posted by PMM
Hi Frank

I should say that you might want to search on the CIC site, but I will be nice. see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/...h/cp/cp05e.pdf

PMM
Old Jun 7th 2004, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

simple math:
x/2+y=3;
x+y<=4;

=> y=3-x/2;
=>3+x/2<=4;
=>x<=2;

x=2;
y=2; is the case you get maximal credit b4 your PR status.

Originally posted by frankwang
Thanks.
No article says it directly.
But technically, you can only get a maximal 1 year credit becuz only recent 4 years are counted.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Timmo is an unknown quantity at this point

What about time in Canada prior to applying for PR? Is there a certain amount of years you can work in Canada then qualify for PR?

I know you get points in the Adaptability section if you have worked in Canada, but what if you have lived and worked there for 3 years already? Is there an "easier" way to obtain PR or doesn't the length of time really matter, I just get the 5 points?

Also, each winter I get an HRDC approved work visa for 6 months, but since it's not a year, I can not count it as Arranged Employment eh?
Old Jun 8th 2004, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwings is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply Andrew and PMM,

I think you would get in total of 10 points for working here in Canada for 1 year before applying for PR. It would be because of the adaptability and having a full time work.

In my case, I have been working year more than a year before I applied for PR just to get more points. The problem is I got too many points that. In my assessment, I would have passed 70 pts even if I applied for PR right after arriving Canada. I should have applied much earlier instead of getting more points, because there is too much delay in applying for PR. The big restrictions of being on a working status is not worth waiting for the PR. I am feeling it now specially if you have 2 grown up kids and 1 is going to college.

Cheers,

Redwings

Originally posted by Timmo
What about time in Canada prior to applying for PR? Is there a certain amount of years you can work in Canada then qualify for PR?

I know you get points in the Adaptability section if you have worked in Canada, but what if you have lived and worked there for 3 years already? Is there an "easier" way to obtain PR or doesn't the length of time really matter, I just get the 5 points?

Also, each winter I get an HRDC approved work visa for 6 months, but since it's not a year, I can not count it as Arranged Employment eh?
Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:59 pm

5 points in the Adaptability factor is all what you get for working (on valid work permit of course) in Canada for at least 1 year. Nothing more, nothing "easier", sorry...

Originally posted by Timmo

Old Jun 8th 2004, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

spas is an unknown quantity at this point

Does this year has to be "continuous".

Thanks

S.

Originally posted by Andrew Miller
5 points in the Adaptability factor is all what you get for working (on valid work permit of course) in Canada for at least 1 year. Nothing more, nothing "easier", sorry...
Old Jun 8th 2004, 10:14 pm

No, as long as you already have another 1 year of continuous work experience.

Originally posted by spas
Does this year has to be "continuous".

Thanks

S.