Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Credit Checks, can anyone offer advice please?

Wikiposts

Credit Checks, can anyone offer advice please?

Old Jan 11th 2008, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

hlt77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit Checks, can anyone offer advice please?

Hello, I'm new here

I apologise if this has been asked before,I have been searching the forum for a couple of hours but can't find an answer....

My husband and I are hoping to emigrate to Calgary, he is a uk police officer and has 6 years service. We've downloaded the application form but it says that you need to provide your credit history, and it also asks if you have ever had debt problems on the actual form.

I lost my job 3 years ago, long story but I was sacked for being pregnant, I sued the company and won, BUT in the year it took to go through with that we had problems repaying our debts. We went to the cccs who put us on a debt management plan. We have remained on this and have made our reduced repayments every month since. As a result of the money problems we got 5 defaults between the 2 of us.

So i'm just wondering, would you recommend:

1. Applying to Calgary Police and admitting to the problems.

2. Defer immigration for a couple of years, resume normal debt repayment and aim to partially repair credit problems before applying to Calgary police.

3. Apply for immigration under the skilled worker class and apply to police once out there? I've heard that credit history isn't checked when applying for immigration???

I'm sorry for the questions, or if any of my questions are stupid.

Thanks to anyone who can offer help,it will be much appreciated.

Helen
Old Jan 12th 2008, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Credit Checks, can anyone offer advice please?

Hi and welcome,

I can't help but maybe somebody on here can, try posting something on here if nobody answers your question.

Good Luck
Rosie

http://http://britishexpats.com/foru...splay.php?f=79
Old Jan 12th 2008, 12:06 am
Just Joined

Thank you,

The link isn't working, or am I doing something wrong?

Helen

Last edited by hlt77; Jan 12th 2008 at 12:08 am.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hlt77
Hello, I'm new here

I apologise if this has been asked before,I have been searching the forum for a couple of hours but can't find an answer....

My husband and I are hoping to emigrate to Calgary, he is a uk police officer and has 6 years service. We've downloaded the application form but it says that you need to provide your credit history, and it also asks if you have ever had debt problems on the actual form.

I lost my job 3 years ago, long story but I was sacked for being pregnant, I sued the company and won, BUT in the year it took to go through with that we had problems repaying our debts. We went to the cccs who put us on a debt management plan. We have remained on this and have made our reduced repayments every month since. As a result of the money problems we got 5 defaults between the 2 of us.

2. Defer immigration for a couple of years, resume normal debt repayment and aim to partially repair credit problems before applying to Calgary police.

3. Apply for immigration under the skilled worker class and apply to police once out there? I've heard that credit history isn't checked when applying for immigration???

Helen
Hi

Not too sure about the Calgary Police force application process, but I do know they are paid by the city & that they are desperate to recruit especially from the UK. RCMP would probably be a bit more picky as they are federal. Personally from what you have written I believe you've done the right thing and proved your commitment during a difficult financial time. Try speaking to their HR people before you file your application.

That said if you intend to purchase a property here and have less than 35% deposit you will need to bring UK credit bureau to avoid being viewed as high risk. You could always rent here, establish a credit history and a year or so on apply for a mortgage.

I know of an expat here who has recently qualified as mortgage adviser who is specializing in assisting new comers to Canada. I can PM her details if you are interested.
Thomas
Old Jan 12th 2008, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you,

The link isn't working, or am I doing something wrong?

Helen
Hi Helen

Sorry, here try again

Rosie

yep it works now
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79

Last edited by RodRos&Co.; Jan 12th 2008 at 2:42 am. Reason: just checking
Old Jan 12th 2008, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, I'm new here

Helen
Hi

I would just send a covering letter with your application to Calgary Police explaining. If they want to speak to you about it then they can always use the Polygraph test to see if you are telling the truth.

I wouldn't let it stop you.....presumably things are now going more smoothly for you? and you can show the credit file as proof that you have picked yourself up?

Good Luck whatever you decide to do
Stef and Lins
Old Jan 12th 2008, 5:18 am
Painting r own Rainbow

WelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician
Hi

Not too sure about the Calgary Police force application process, but I do know they are paid by the city & that they are desperate to recruit especially from the UK. RCMP would probably be a bit more picky as they are federal. Personally from what you have written I believe you've done the right thing and proved your commitment during a difficult financial time. Try speaking to their HR people before you file your application.

That said if you intend to purchase a property here and have less than 35% deposit you will need to bring UK credit bureau to avoid being viewed as high risk. You could always rent here, establish a credit history and a year or so on apply for a mortgage.

I know of an expat here who has recently qualified as mortgage adviser who is specializing in assisting new comers to Canada. I can PM her details if you are interested.
Thomas
Hi

Sorry to jump in on this post - but just wondered if you would be kind enough to let me have the details of the mortgage adviser you know.

Many thanks

Dawn
Old Jan 12th 2008, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

pete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant future

Hi

Could I have the mortgage guys details as well please. Hope you are charging commission for this!!!

Many thanks

Pete
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:21 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for great advice

We're going to go for it, going to send a covering letter explaining everything along with a copy of my court decision that confirms I was subject of unfair dismissal.

Thanks again

Helen
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone for great advice

We're going to go for it, going to send a covering letter explaining everything along with a copy of my court decision that confirms I was subject of unfair dismissal.

Thanks again

Helen
I will PM the details of mortgage broker to all those who have requested these details shortly.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 4:23 am
Painting r own Rainbow

WelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician
I will PM the details of mortgage broker to all those who have requested these details shortly.
Thank you very much -
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

Canadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant future

The Calgary Police Service has recently relaxed their recruiting standards, so that those who are NOT presently a Canadian citizen, or a Permanent Resident card holder, may apply, while they are waiting to get their PR status. Source.....Calgary Police website.

The RCMP will ONLY accept applicants who ARE Canadian citizens. RCMP officers must be willing to serve at any location in Canada.

Source....RCMP recruiting website .

Jim Bunting. Toronto.