Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Couple of questions on FSW Application

Couple of questions on FSW Application

Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

iamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really nice
Default Couple of questions on FSW Application

Hey folks, finally managed to get all of the paperwork we need so we're filling in the FSW forms. Exciting...but frustrating. Everyone'd do it if it was easy though, right?

For the 'generic' form, you can fill that in online and it has dropdown boxes for lots of the answers, which is pretty neat. When you get a question with a dropdown, the answers have a capital letter first and then lowercase letters. Therefore for the other answers on this form, I've continued that through (i.e. not everything in CAPS).

With other forms, which don't have the dropdowns, the help at the top of the form says PRINT or TYPE which suggests if you are typing then you should do so in caps. Is that recommended? Or should it be consistent with the 'auto' form?

May sound like a very pedantic question (hey, I'm a pedant, I'll admit) but there's a chance my girlfriend and I will only get 1 chance at this and we want to get it right.

My second question, which I notice has just been asked about 4 hours ago in another thread but remains unanswered, is what to do about 'last entry to Canada' on the 'generic' form. We, too, have visited recently, but if I understand the question correctly (and why it 'blanks out' those answers when you say you are a British Citizen) is that because the principal applicant isn't a Canadian Citizen and therefore the 'last entry' isn't valid? Or am I completely misunderstanding it?

Thanks again for all help!
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice
Default Re: Couple of questions on FSW Application

Hi mate,

Good to see someone in the same boat, and as pedantic as me !

Yeah ive not had my question about the 'last entry to canada' cleared up yet, was hoping some1 could have helped..
But i suppose we can take it as being the form blocks it out for 'a reason' so just leave it blank as requested.... Or we could fill in manually once printed out just to be safe?!

The thing with these forms is you doubt yourself at everything!

One thing id like to triple check is in the Personal Details section,
When it asks for your 'Given Name(s)' exactly as shown on passport

My wife has a middle name, but it is not on the passport....
So does she leave the middle name out of this section??
You would surely think providing a FULL name would be required... (as on birth certificate)

Or am I being pedantic and over thinking things ?!!

Originally Posted by iamfriendly
Hey folks, finally managed to get all of the paperwork we need so we're filling in the FSW forms. Exciting...but frustrating. Everyone'd do it if it was easy though, right?

For the 'generic' form, you can fill that in online and it has dropdown boxes for lots of the answers, which is pretty neat. When you get a question with a dropdown, the answers have a capital letter first and then lowercase letters. Therefore for the other answers on this form, I've continued that through (i.e. not everything in CAPS).

With other forms, which don't have the dropdowns, the help at the top of the form says PRINT or TYPE which suggests if you are typing then you should do so in caps. Is that recommended? Or should it be consistent with the 'auto' form?

May sound like a very pedantic question (hey, I'm a pedant, I'll admit) but there's a chance my girlfriend and I will only get 1 chance at this and we want to get it right.

My second question, which I notice has just been asked about 4 hours ago in another thread but remains unanswered, is what to do about 'last entry to Canada' on the 'generic' form. We, too, have visited recently, but if I understand the question correctly (and why it 'blanks out' those answers when you say you are a British Citizen) is that because the principal applicant isn't a Canadian Citizen and therefore the 'last entry' isn't valid? Or am I completely misunderstanding it?

Thanks again for all help!
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

iamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really niceiamfriendly is just really nice

alcat, you're so right. I'm not sure I've ever doubted myself so much in my entire life as I do when filling in this form. I'm a perfectionist and a huge pedant, so that isn't helping things, but there's just so many 'but, what if's...' in these forms.

With regards to the 'greyed out' forms, my girlfriend and I have printed it out and written 'N/A' just to be absolutely certain. It's more of a 'Hey, yes I've seen this box, I haven't forgotten about it, please don't send this back to me as incomplete' sort of thing, tbh.

With regards to your passport problem, that's a tough'n! It's bizarre that the passport office "got it wrong". I would suggest, whichever way you go, that you clarify the situation on a covering letter somewhere. Explain why the passport doesn't have her full name, for example. Most strange.

I'm going down the route of "If I'm not sure, provide as much evidence to back up what I've written as I can" and make sure I don't leave anything blank.

We're hoping to have the forms completed this weekend and am waiting on a bank statement and then we're done. We're applying through NOC 1122 so we're really pushed for time as that's filling up *fast*.

Never been so stressed in my life when we're filling out these forms. Good luck, alcat!
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Something else id like to run by you..

Is it a requirement to get all photocopies of documents (birth/marriage/educational etc) that we send to CIC Notarized/Certified?

This was a requirement before the new changes, but there doesnt seem to be any specific instructions on the updated checklist??

More doubt!

Cheers
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

You're asking someone who has asked that exact question in the past. From looking through the forums, half got them notarized, half didn't.

Someone suggested to get things certified - which can be done at the post office. I got a quote of £200 to get things notarized here in Manchester - quite a lot of money. I believe the new forms still say things need to be certified.

I'm probably going to pay the smallish fee at the Post Office.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well last time my wife and I paid £45 for 17 documents to be notarized at local solictitors...

This time weve found one who said theyl do it for £20 + vat!...

The variety of prices is unbelievable, some offices who should be wearing ski masks quoted us £35 per document!

Makes me think putting fires out for a living was the wrong choice!
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

I nearly choked when I was told £200, tbh. Quite literally, all they need to do is look at the original, look at the copy, and write one sentence on each and sign. That's it. Makes me think making drinks and websites (2 different careers! haha) were poor choices.

To be honest, if you've been quoted £20 I'd just get it done. It wouldn't be much cheaper at the post office. "Better safe than sorry"

I might go on a hunt to find a local solicitor that can notarize documents, see if I can get something cheaper, if not, then off to the post office I go!
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Inspired by your story of finding a solicitor that charged £20...I went on a telephoning mission and I've managed to do likewise! About 30 sheets of paper and he's going to charge us £20 as long as we go when suits him. Perfect!

Thanks alcat2010, you just saved us £180 (kinda)
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Inspired by your story of finding a solicitor that charged £20...I went on a telephoning mission and I've managed to do likewise! About 30 sheets of paper and he's going to charge us £20 as long as we go when suits him. Perfect!

Thanks alcat2010, you just saved us £180 (kinda)
Ha, nice one mate. Thats a good saving!

Aye ,its the way the solicitors sit and say 'well, its a really time consuming thing, having to check all the documents, my time is so precious blah blah blah...'

Away and try do a real days work!!
Old Aug 10th 2011, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice

Pleeeeeease......I have a simple question regarding the Generic Application Form; one which I previously asked a few weeks ago but unable to find now.

Regarding the 'NATIONAL IDENTITY DOCUMENT', am I meant to give details of my National Insurance number here? There is a drop down box for 'England', but I just want to make sure which document this refers to?

Many thanks
Old Aug 10th 2011, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Canuck Fan
Pleeeeeease......I have a simple question regarding the Generic Application Form; one which I previously asked a few weeks ago but unable to find now.

Regarding the 'NATIONAL IDENTITY DOCUMENT', am I meant to give details of my National Insurance number here? There is a drop down box for 'England', but I just want to make sure which document this refers to?

Many thanks
As far as I know, the vast majority of people in this country don't have a National Identity card. (a few do). So I've put N/A in that box. I could be wrong though...?
Old Aug 10th 2011, 4:50 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

As far as I know, the vast majority of people in this country don't have a National Identity card. (a few do). So I've put N/A in that box. I could be wrong though...?

You are right.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

The important thing when filling out the form isn't necessarily 100% accuracy, but whether all your documents match, and whether you can get all the evidence to back up everything on the form. For example alcat2010's issue with his wife's middle name, I would put it as the passport, since that matches. Then enclose a note with the birth certificate explaining why there is a middle name on that.

It can become quite nerve racking since there is just so much information spread across multiple documents, cross-checking it in your head isn't easy, but as long as you go through and systematically check that everything is there, you should be fine.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
The important thing when filling out the form isn't necessarily 100% accuracy, but whether all your documents match, and whether you can get all the evidence to back up everything on the form. For example alcat2010's issue with his wife's middle name, I would put it as the passport, since that matches. Then enclose a note with the birth certificate explaining why there is a middle name on that.

It can become quite nerve racking since there is just so much information spread across multiple documents, cross-checking it in your head isn't easy, but as long as you go through and systematically check that everything is there, you should be fine.
Jimmy, thanks so much for saying that - it's actually helped put my mind at ease a little bit. Makes sense, too when you think of it like that. Consistency and provability seem to be the order of the day.

As NOC1122 is basically full now (I imagine if you send something today, you'd be incredibly lucky to be one of the remaining 81 spots left seeing as it's going up by about 30 a day) and that was the first route we were going to apply under, we're down to using me as the primary applicant. We're in the fortunate position of having both my girlfriends and my own occupations on the noc list (mine being 0631).

The problem with that is "provability" - the bar/restaurant trade is so massively changeable that I don't have contracts for 2 of the jobs I'm using as evidence of work. One of the restaurants no longer exists (but I can prove that with companies house records) and I'm no longer in touch with the owner of that company (no one is...) but I *am* in touch with the manager of place (I was his assistant and when he left, I became manager) - something I can prove with Town Hall records, business cards which I've kept (fortunately - this was 5 years ago) etc.

I'm literally going to put as much evidence as I can possibly manage and ensure the reference letters say why other items haven't been included (as appropriate). Genuinely concerned that it isn't going to be enough, but I can only do my best and send what I can.

Well that was a nice story, huh? haha. I do have a question, out of it, though - I heard that the 'list' gets "reset" each July. Is that true - I know it did this year, but wasn't sure if it was an annual thing. And if so does anyone know of the 'probable' (or even possible) likelihood of NOC1122 being on it next July?

We literally have *all* of the paperwork needed for 1122 for my g/f apart from 1 reference which is now on its way to us (the NHS let us down massively, there as it took 2months to get a reference - my girlfriend works in an appropriate dept for them - appropriate as in 'applicable for 1122).

Genuinely gutted to miss out on 1122 this year, but if it's on there again next year - and my application isn't successful this year, the day the list gets reset will be the day our application gets sent.

So...odds? (I'm a betting man )
Old Aug 11th 2011, 10:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I do have a question, out of it, though - I heard that the 'list' gets "reset" each July.
The list doesn't automatically get 'reset' each July, but the quota does. The list can change, or stay the same (as it did this year).

And if so does anyone know of the 'probable' (or even possible) likelihood of NOC1122 being on it next July?
My guess is that it won't be on the list for next year - but then I also thought it would be removed this year! I think they'll overhaul the list next year as it will then have been in effect for 2 years (the previous list of 38 occupations - which 1122 wasn't on - was also in effect for 2 years). By then the labour market needs will have changed, and I suspect they'll change it, but that is just a guess.

If you think you can apply now, I'd do it personally rather than waiting. But your call!

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.