Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

A couple of point scoring questions.

A couple of point scoring questions.

Old Nov 19th 2009, 10:17 am
Just Joined

marcelxl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A couple of point scoring questions.

Apologies if these have been asked before!

We are currently starting the process and before we send off our application proper we would like the following just clarifying if poss.

I am an apprentice trained Carpenter with a Level 2 (2yr) NVQ city & guilds with now 18 yrs carpentry experience. I went to school from 4yrs old to 16 and then straight to college for the NVQ. Does this qualify for "Obtained a two-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies"? on the skilled worker online self assessment, as there does not appear to be any other options that seem to adequately cover the "2 year diploma"

Also I can get by with limited basic french but would this need to be proven and to what extent would I be tested if I put basic in the speaking and listening?

Many thanks in advance

Marc
Old Nov 19th 2009, 10:32 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A couple of point scoring questions.

Hi

Originally Posted by marcelxl

We are currently starting the process and before we send off our application proper we would like the following just clarifying if poss.

I am an apprentice trained Carpenter with a Level 2 (2yr) NVQ city & guilds with now 18 yrs carpentry experience. I went to school from 4yrs old to 16 and then straight to college for the NVQ. Does this qualify for "Obtained a two-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies"? on the skilled worker online self assessment, as there does not appear to be any other options that seem to adequately cover the "2 year diploma"

Also I can get by with limited basic french but would this need to be proven and to what extent would I be tested if I put basic in the speaking and listening?

Many thanks in advance

Marc
1. They are most likely to give you 11 years of elementary and secondary education, they aren't going to count the reception year. So probably only 15 points

"You have a one-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and at least 13 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study. 15 points"
2. You have to take the TEF to get any points for french. No test, no points.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 10:55 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply PMM.

Are you aware of the 2yr diploma counting for anything? (I actually did 3 yrs but the level 2 is a 2 yr diploma)
The yrs schooling and diplomas seem to jump between stages.

We clear the 67 points with that but fall short without.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 12:52 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcelxl

Many thanks in advance

Marc
Whilst I agree with PMM above re the years of education (sometimes they count the reception year at age 4 and sometimes they dont - technically they should count it because you did do it and there is nothing in the rulebook that says they have to compare it to Canadian school system but it doesnt always happen), what about your apprenticeship? Did your apprenticeship finish at 18 or did it continue beyond that age? If, for example, your apprenticeship took 3 years and the employer of that time would write a letter confirming you completed it when you were 19 then you could claim the 3 year apprenticeship which would supersede the 2 year NVQ level 2.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 4:39 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Paul Wildy
Whilst I agree with PMM above re the years of education (sometimes they count the reception year at age 4 and sometimes they dont - technically they should count it because you did do it and there is nothing in the rulebook that says they have to compare it to Canadian school system but it doesnt always happen), what about your apprenticeship? Did your apprenticeship finish at 18 or did it continue beyond that age? If, for example, your apprenticeship took 3 years and the employer of that time would write a letter confirming you completed it when you were 19 then you could claim the 3 year apprenticeship which would supersede the 2 year NVQ level 2.
In Roberts vs Canada, http://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/en/200...2009fc518.html

The court ruled

"[19] With respect to the Applicant’s claim to the number of years it took to complete her O Levels, the statement in her application that she spent 10 years in primary school was clearly wrong and the Applicant provided no additional explanation or clarification as to how she reached that calculation. Thus the Officer had to use her best judgment to assess the appropriate amount of years of education which led to the good faith conclusion that O Level studies require 11 years to complete. There was nothing unreasonable about this conclusion.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

alexcanada is an unknown quantity at this point

i have the same question i have one bachelor degree ,total years of study 15 years . does it count 20 points,or 22 points? thanks
Old Nov 20th 2009, 5:23 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies guys!

Can anyone clarify if the years of education (12yrs) are seperate to the years I spent attending college whilst attaining my NVQ (3 yrs but a 2yr diploma) or would I then have the 14yrs education with a 2 yr Diploma that I would need to get 67+ points?

Or can anyone point me in the direction of someone who can or somewhere or a resource that breaks this down and explains this stage in depth?

Once again thanking you in advance!

Marc
Old Nov 20th 2009, 9:05 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

Originally Posted by alexcanada
i have the same question i have one bachelor degree ,total years of study 15 years . does it count 20 points,or 22 points? thanks
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:50 am
Just Joined

davidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant future

How many points would I get. I left school at 16 in 2000 and went to college:

BTEC 1st Diploma (1 Year Full Time) Landscaping 2000/1
BTEC National Dimploma (2 Years Full Time) Landscaping 2001/3
City and Guilds NVQ Level 3 (Work Based Modern App) Dental Nursing Around 2 years to complete

Applied to Open University I am currently working towards an LLB(Hons) that will take upto 6 years to be a QLD and it normaly takes 3 years to complete if I took it full time but if I have 20 points on just the above excluding the degree I am working towards I may as well apply with just my 2 diplomas and NVQ Level 3

Thanks

Last edited by davidrn; Nov 21st 2009 at 7:53 am. Reason: More details req