Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Couple of comments from CHC at Sandown

Couple of comments from CHC at Sandown

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Couple of comments from CHC at Sandown

I think I get it now. Thank you for your patience. I probably should have gone straight for the 'not taking up employment without PR' thing and not the WP route. One of the disadvantages of using an immigration consultant who doesn't appear to know that they are doing. If only I had found BE (and you) first.
Thanks again.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

wayne-Niki is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
I was referring to full applications submitted prior to September 2006, not about simplified apps being submitted since Sep 2006. All what needed to be done was bringing file up to date as soon as arranged employment was secured and without waiting for 90-days letter, adding required evidence of arranged employment and requesting expedited processing (it is little bit more complex than it sounds).

If you submitted only simplified form then you will not get 90-days letter. Instead if you are lucky in about 5 or so years you will get request to submit standard, full application package with all supporting evidence.

But if you now have arranged employment as specified (look for it in Wiki) then you need to prepare full application package, with all forms and required in checklist supporting documents as well as all necessary (unlisted) case/circumstances specific evidence, evidence of arranged employment as required and to ask for upgrade of your simplified application to a full one with arranged employment and to move it to expedited processing. It is very brief and generic guide only as detailed instruction must be case specific.

And this is exactly what I am doing for all new clients since Sep '06 who don't have arranged employment yet - we first submit simplified form (for those who have enough points of course) just to get an early submission date and to get application in before pass mark may go up (it may happen any day or it may be months or years later - but better to be safe than sorry). Then we do in parallel 2 different tasks - (1) my clients look for jobs with my guidance, I represent employer in obtaining LMO or AEO and in case of LMO I am getting work permits; and (2) at the same time we build a full, strong application package so we have it ready for submission as soon as arranged employment is fully secured. In most cases it is few to several months of focused preparation and job search - but finally we are upgrading simple application to full one with arranged employment and usually have PR visas 3 to 8 months later (depending from background/security check).
Mr Miller,

Having read your replies on this thread gives me a little hope, but I’m sure after you have answered this question I will be shot down in flames again.

We submitted a full application back in Jan 06 and have an AOR dated Feb 06, I’m the main applicant currently employed as a Police Officer in the UK. The wife is the 2nd applicant and has 10 yrs experience in admin. We are currently in Canada on BUNAC w/p`s (I know how you feel about these), since arriving at the start of 08 the wife has secured employment. The company are in the process of applying for a LMO, we don’t think it will be approved due to the skill level (receptionist). However the company are happy to offer a permanent job for our PR application.

Would we be able to update our case at the CHC in view to speeding it up as the 2nd applicant has employment. In my case I would like to join the BC Police but you have to be a landed immigrant or citizen, I’m hoping this will help our application as the Police in BC are so under resourced.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:49 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wayne-Niki
Mr Miller,

Having read your replies on this thread gives me a little hope, but I’m sure after you have answered this question I will be shot down in flames again.

We submitted a full application back in Jan 06 and have an AOR dated Feb 06, I’m the main applicant currently employed as a Police Officer in the UK. The wife is the 2nd applicant and has 10 yrs experience in admin. We are currently in Canada on BUNAC w/p`s (I know how you feel about these), since arriving at the start of 08 the wife has secured employment. The company are in the process of applying for a LMO, we don’t think it will be approved due to the skill level (receptionist). However the company are happy to offer a permanent job for our PR application.

Would we be able to update our case at the CHC in view to speeding it up as the 2nd applicant has employment. In my case I would like to join the BC Police but you have to be a landed immigrant or citizen, I’m hoping this will help our application as the Police in BC are so under resourced.

BUNAC is not a problem - occupation principal PR applicant is working in Canada in is important (must be skilled occupation), spouse's work doesn't count.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Applicants with PNP, CSQ (Quebec) and arranged employment will experience longer processing times as their numbers will continue to increase rapidly.
Won't happen with Quebec applicants (assuming numbers of CSQ applicants stays in line with Quebec's own targets). For the obvious reason that the Quebec government wouldn't tolerate that kind of federal foot-dragging.

As for PNPs, depends on the political influence of respective Province in Ottawa.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
Won't happen with Quebec applicants (assuming numbers of CSQ applicants stays in line with Quebec's own targets). For the obvious reason that the Quebec government wouldn't tolerate that kind of federal foot-dragging.
The problem is that Quebec is already for some time receiving substantially more applications that their own annual quota is - this is why you can see waiting times just for CSQ interview for applicants from countries being the largest source (Africa and Middle East) of immigrants to Quebec already reaching 3 years:

http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.q...mes-table.html

Of course visa posts will only receive the number of PR applications under CSQ route not exceeding Quebec's quota and there will be no problem processing them under 12 months (with exception for some security affected cases) - but applicants are interested in total processing time, not in just federal stage which in most cases is much shorter than CSQ stage.

Similar situation is with PNP cases - in some Provinces PNP certificates are granted within weeks, while in others it may take a year or two if not longer.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Mar 3rd 2008 at 6:50 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Location: Lee-on-the-Solent, Hampshire, UK...soon a new life in Canada ;o)
amberdayz is on a distinguished road

So am I right in thinking? If for instance you get offered full-time employement (with LMO already in place) only then can you apply for a WP? However in the meantime if you fall under the Skilled Worker etc catagory you can apply for your PR?

Old Mar 4th 2008, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by amberdayz
So am I right in thinking? If for instance you get offered full-time employement (with LMO already in place) only then can you apply for a WP?
Yes, you need a full time job offer with positive LMO (or in occupation covered by national blanket LMO) to apply for work permit.

It doesn't apply to working holidays (BUNAC, etc.) and open permits for dependent spouses/partners of certain work/study permit holders.

There is no such thing as job offer "with LMO already in place" - employer must provide you with job offer and then apply for LMO listing you in the application as foreign worker to be hired. LMO will be issued with your name. There are no LMO's without name of foreign worker to be hired. So, anyone who may try to tell you that s/he can "offer you full-time employment (with LMO already in place)" either doesn't know anything or may try to scam you.

Originally Posted by amberdayz
However in the meantime if you fall under the Skilled Worker etc catagory you can apply for your PR?
If you don't have arranged employment but you qualify to apply for PR - have minimum (or more) required points, meet regulatory requirements (minimum 12 months of full time or full time equivalent of paid, continuous experience in skilled occupation and minimum settlement funds - then of course you may apply for PR using simplified form. And then wait (in case of CHC London) 4 - 5+ years or way longer for request for full, standard application package with all required forms and supporting documents.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Mar 4th 2008 at 2:05 am.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Location: Lee-on-the-Solent, Hampshire, UK...soon a new life in Canada ;o)
amberdayz is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply Andrew, that cleared that up and yet another question answered
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that Quebec is already for some time receiving substantially more applications that their own annual quota is - this is why you can see waiting times just for CSQ interview for applicants from countries being the largest source (Africa and Middle East) of immigrants to Quebec already reaching 3 years:
Which is a different issue. Obviously Quebec has to decide how it wants to manage its own selection criteria and waiting times.