Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Couple of comments from CHC at Sandown

Couple of comments from CHC at Sandown

Old Mar 2nd 2008, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold
Default Couple of comments from CHC at Sandown

Thought I'd just post these two comments from the immigration officer taking one of the sessions at Sandown yesterday. Many may know this already, but I thought quite useful to know:

1. Silled worker processing slows down over summer due to the large number of visitor visas they have to process.

2. Timescale from receiving 90-day letter to issue of visa is around 12 months (thought I have read of others getting through this more quickly?).

Another official said that there are around 800,000 visa applications outstanding worldwide, 260,000 (I think) were issued last year, and there is going to be a desperate shortage of workers in Canada by 2015.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to all
Default Re: Couple of comments from CHC at Sandown

hello

Point 1) well i did not know about this one.

Point 2) yes, you are correct.. have noticed that it takes lesser for some. hoping that it would be shorter than that.

thanks

regs
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

jugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nicejugapper is just really nice

Hi

We also went to the show at Sandown but we decided not to attend the presentations. Did you think they were worth going to? If we go to the show again, we would consider paying extra for the pass so wondered if you thought it was money well spent..

Thought the show itself was worth a visit and was nice to speak to people face to face, got some good leads! - just glad we had bought our tickets in advance as the queue to pay on the door was stretching down to the car park when we got there!!

Julie
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 7:03 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
Another official said that there are around 800,000 visa applications outstanding worldwide, 260,000 (I think) were issued last year, and there is going to be a desperate shortage of workers in Canada by 2015.

Let's analyze it and do the math again, shall we?

800,000 applications x 2.2 statistical people per application = 1,760,000 visas

Annual visa quota for federal, PNP and Quebec skilled workers (as per current 2008 plan) combined is 122,000 (low) to 132,000 (high):

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...n1.asp#table_1

1,760,000 visas needed vs. 132,000 available per year = 13,33 years of visa quotas.

Assuming that 50% refusal rate remains (highly unlikely as trend towards employment based immigration continues with increasing speed) it will take an average 6.6 years just to clear the backlog. Of course as refusal rate goes down in time number of years of visa quotas needed to clear the backlog will go closer and closer to 10 or more years.

But life won't stay still and applications with PNP and arranged employment will keep coming in greater and greater every month numbers, taking away first available visas from annual quota.

Thus perspectives for applicants without arranged employment are very bleak, if existing at all.

Applicants with PNP, CSQ (Quebec) and arranged employment will experience longer processing times as their numbers will continue to increase rapidly.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Mar 2nd 2008 at 7:10 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jugapper
Hi

We also went to the show at Sandown but we decided not to attend the presentations. Did you think they were worth going to? If we go to the show again, we would consider paying extra for the pass so wondered if you thought it was money well spent..

Thought the show itself was worth a visit and was nice to speak to people face to face, got some good leads! - just glad we had bought our tickets in advance as the queue to pay on the door was stretching down to the car park when we got there!!

Julie
Definitely worth going to - although I think they had too many this year and some had to leave early to get to others, which had started by the time they go there. More choice than last year.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

maggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller

Assuming that 50% refusal rate remains (highly unlikely as trend towards employment based immigration continues with increasing speed) it will take an average 6.6 years just to clear the backlog. Of course as refusal rate goes down in time number of years of visa quotas needed to clear the backlog will go closer and closer to 10 or more years.

Thus perspectives for applicants without arranged employment are very bleak, if existing at all.
Forgive me if I'm asking a dumb question; your second point above Andrew...I've just received my 90 day letter but have not arranged employment. Do you mean it's bleak for people applying now, or that it includes applicants like me already in the system?

Also the 50% refusal rate has surprised me - is that for all applicants, no matter what route? It seems very high. Again, thinking sefishly, do many SW applicants w/o arranged employment get refused?

Thank you in advance for any further information you're able to give.

A now worried Maggie
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 8:04 pm

You received 90-days letter because you applied well before September 2006 (as your signature indicates before Oct 2005) - at that time was no difference between applicants with and without arranged employment.

Since September 2006 applicants without arranged employment can submit only a simplified application form (it is not actually an application yet, only purchasing a spot in who knows how many years long queue) and they will wait until there are some visas left (if any) after those with PNP and arranged employment take first what is available. My statement about bleak perspectives applies to those who applied since Sep 2006 and still continue to apply without arranged employment.

I have many clients who like yourself applied before Sep 2006, some even in late August 2006 - they all managed later (after Sep 2006) to find arranged employment and I updated their cases without waiting for any request from CHC - all got their visas or PPR's already.

Just last week I got passport requests for last few such upgraded in mid to late 2007 cases which were originally submitted in August 2006. All my clients with cases submitted prior to Sep 2006 who's files were upgraded with arranged employment between Oct 2006 and June 2007 already got their visas in last 6 months of 2007.

Refusal rate is quite steady for past decade or so and it is the average across the board. Among them there are about 2% plus of applicants who get refused on the basis of R76(3), most of them without arranged employment, but some even living and working in Canada for years already after completing Canadian post-grad education are being refused on the basis of R76(3) if they didn't provide enough evidence showing that they have abilities and solid chances to succeed in Canada. The majority though (beyond those 2%) of refusals are due to lack of points - regardless the fact that such applicants had education and experience (at least they believed they had) to warrant more than enough points, but they simply didn't prove conclusively enough their claims.

With 90-days letter your worries are likely not warranted - most refused get their negative decision letters prior to 90-days letter. But there is no guarantee and Murphy''s Law applies to Canadian immigration applicants too...

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Mar 2nd 2008 at 8:14 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to jump in on this thread, just a point of clarification if you could please Andrew.

You say that you updated the cases of your clients when they got arranged employment. Do you mean that you submitted the full application and fees without waiting for a request from the CHC, or that you just wrote and told them that they now had arranged employment and waited for further requests?

If it is the first of these 2 I had no idea that could be done.

I am in that situation at present and I want to speed up my PR application having submitted the simplified application a year or so ago. What do you recommend that I do?

Thanks in advance for your great advice as ever.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

maggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Andrew for your swift reply
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
Sorry to jump in on this thread, just a point of clarification if you could please Andrew.

You say that you updated the cases of your clients when they got arranged employment. Do you mean that you submitted the full application and fees without waiting for a request from the CHC, or that you just wrote and told them that they now had arranged employment and waited for further requests?

If it is the first of these 2 I had no idea that could be done.

I am in that situation at present and I want to speed up my PR application having submitted the simplified application a year or so ago. What do you recommend that I do?

Thanks in advance for your great advice as ever.
I was referring to full applications submitted prior to September 2006, not about simplified apps being submitted since Sep 2006. All what needed to be done was bringing file up to date as soon as arranged employment was secured and without waiting for 90-days letter, adding required evidence of arranged employment and requesting expedited processing (it is little bit more complex than it sounds).

If you submitted only simplified form then you will not get 90-days letter. Instead if you are lucky in about 5 or so years you will get request to submit standard, full application package with all supporting evidence.

But if you now have arranged employment as specified (look for it in Wiki) then you need to prepare full application package, with all forms and required in checklist supporting documents as well as all necessary (unlisted) case/circumstances specific evidence, evidence of arranged employment as required and to ask for upgrade of your simplified application to a full one with arranged employment and to move it to expedited processing. It is very brief and generic guide only as detailed instruction must be case specific.

And this is exactly what I am doing for all new clients since Sep '06 who don't have arranged employment yet - we first submit simplified form (for those who have enough points of course) just to get an early submission date and to get application in before pass mark may go up (it may happen any day or it may be months or years later - but better to be safe than sorry). Then we do in parallel 2 different tasks - (1) my clients look for jobs with my guidance, I represent employer in obtaining LMO or AEO and in case of LMO I am getting work permits; and (2) at the same time we build a full, strong application package so we have it ready for submission as soon as arranged employment is fully secured. In most cases it is few to several months of focused preparation and job search - but finally we are upgrading simple application to full one with arranged employment and usually have PR visas 3 to 8 months later (depending from background/security check).

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Mar 2nd 2008 at 11:43 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 12:53 am
Account Closed

Jazzflute is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
Thought I'd just post these two comments from the immigration officer taking one of the sessions at Sandown yesterday. Many may know this already, but I thought quite useful to know:

1. Silled worker processing slows down over summer due to the large number of visitor visas they have to process.

2. Timescale from receiving 90-day letter to issue of visa is around 12 months (thought I have read of others getting through this more quickly?).

Thanks for that info. At this rate I'm never gonna get there
Just thought I'd add that the Singing Ringing Tree is one of the best films ever and extremely scary in places!! I love the bear!!!! I know this is absolutely nowt to do with Canada!
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

I was referring to full applications submitted prior to September 2006, not about simplified apps being submitted since Sep 2006. All what needed to be done was bringing file up to date as soon as arranged employment was secured and without waiting for 90-days letter, adding required evidence of arranged employment and requesting expedited processing (it is little bit more complex than it sounds).

If you submitted only simplified form then you will not get 90-days letter. Instead if you are lucky in about 5 or so years you will get request to submit standard, full application package with all supporting evidence.

But if you now have arranged employment as specified (look for it in Wiki) then you need to prepare full application package, with all forms and required in checklist supporting documents as well as all necessary (unlisted) case/circumstances specific evidence, evidence of arranged employment as required and to ask for upgrade of your simplified application to a full one with arranged employment and to move it to expedited processing. It is very brief and generic guide only as detailed instruction must be case specific.

And this is exactly what I am doing for all new clients since Sep '06 who don't have arranged employment yet - we first submit simplified form (for those who have enough points of course) just to get an early submission date and to get application in before pass mark may go up (it may happen any day or it may be months or years later - but better to be safe than sorry). Then we do in parallel 2 different tasks - (1) my clients look for jobs with my guidance, I represent employer in obtaining LMO or AEO and in case of LMO I am getting work permits; and (2) at the same time we build a full, strong application package so we have it ready for submission as soon as arranged employment is fully secured. In most cases it is few to several months of focused preparation and job search - but finally we are upgrading simple application to full one with arranged employment and usually have PR visas 3 to 8 months later (depending from background/security check).
Thanks for that Andrew. I am in the position you describe as I have a permanent job offer with LMO approval. All my documents have been sent of for my WP (I have to do it this end as I am a nurse and will need a medical). I just want to get my PR expedited as soon as possible as I have 2 older children (under 22) who are on our application but will not be able to get WP's. I will start collecting the documentation as you suggest.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:50 am

Remember to submit entire package after you start working in Canada and can prove it (2 or 3 paychecks will do), together with copy of valid work permit and letter from employer confirming your employment and indicating intention or offering to convert your current (at that time) temporary employment to a permanent, full time position after you become a PR.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Remember to submit entire package after you start working in Canada and can prove it (2 or 3 paychecks will do), together with copy of valid work permit and letter from employer confirming your employment and indicating intention or offering to convert your current (at that time) temporary employment to a permanent, full time position after you become a PR.
My job offer letter already states that the job is a permanent offer. Does that mean that I can upgrade the application whilst I am still in the UK (trying to sell my house)
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 3:00 am

For work permit you need a temporary, time defined job offer, not a permanent one.

And in order to use arranged employment benefits under your circumstances you must have valid work permit (you won't have it until you come with approval notice to Canadian port of entry) and start working in Canada.

For applicants who don't have work permit and don't work in Canada the proper route to arranged employment is a permanent job offer with positive Arranged Employment Opinion.

LMO is for work permit, not for arranged employment for PR application - you need a combination of (1) working in Canada on (2) valid work permit and (3) having offer to convert your temporary employment to a permanent one on indeterminate basis after you become a PR.

This Wiki article explains all:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp

and please also download and read pages from Immigration Manual about Arranged Employment from post #3 in this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514472

Parts relevant to your circumstances are highlighted in said pages.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Mar 3rd 2008 at 3:05 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.