Couple of citizenship questions

Old Oct 19th 2015, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of
Default Couple of citizenship questions

Hi,

We're British ex-pats living in Canada as permanent residents. We are approaching being here for 4 years and so are now preparing to apply for citizenship in the coming few months. I have a spreadsheet listing all our trips outside Canada so I know exactly when we'll meet the required number of days in Canada.

I just have a couple of questions - wondering if anyone might know ...

1) Proof of language. The help on the CIC website says:

"Proof of completion of a secondary or post-secondary program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, includes:
A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation from a program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad."

I have a bachelor's degree in Computing and Management from Loughborough University, UK. This was a half/half between computer science and the business school. My wife has a chemistry degree from the same university and a doctorate in Pharmacy from Nottingham.

Will the degree certificates alone be adequate proof of language - or must we get transcripts and then try to explain which modules involved writing essays etc?

2) My wife arrived in Canada around 6 weeks after me and so she will not be eligible to apply for Citizenship until January, whereas technically I could apply in December. Is there any mechanism to apply "together" so we can get the same ceremony date etc - or are we just individually applying anyway?

Thanks!
Wayne
Old Oct 19th 2015, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Couple of citizenship questions

We recently became citizens. I can't comment on the first query as I think the rules have changed and we were in a different age band but regarding the actual application - we sent our 4 applications away in the same envelope as soon as the last of us was eligible. We seemed to be processed at the same time, and all received an invite to the same citizenship ceremony.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

1. Acceptable language proof:

Acceptable language proof to apply for citizenship wizard

but note there have been threads on this forum about people having trouble (or not as the case may be).

2. Wait until your wife meets the residency requirement and then each apply. Send both applications together with a cover letter, saying you want to share the momentous occasion together etc.

S

PS: sorry I crossed with Twitcher saying something similar.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 7:21 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I used my High School exam pass sheet and several RAF education docs and was fine, over a year ago tho.

I applied for all of ours on the same day and they processed them together same time. Just wait till Jan and put the whole thing in as one.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Hi all - thanks for the reply and advice!

Ok will just wait until January and post both our applications together with the cover letter you mentioned!

Reading the additional info linked - it does certainly seem to indicate that the degree certificate only is adequate as long as the course was taken in English of French and was completed.

Wayne.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 9:26 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

I used a copy of my English language O-Level Certificate
Old Oct 26th 2015, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

UHOP is an unknown quantity at this point

I love the Fact that Brits need proof of Language.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 2:47 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UHOP
I love the Fact that Brits need proof of Language.
So you should. Read some of their posts ! "If I'd of known that I had to do a test", "I done mine in.." and so it goes on. Lots of poor english written by born and bred Brits !
Old Oct 26th 2015, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

If you were a linguist or a sociolinguist, you wouldn't make a comment like that!

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Oct 26th 2015 at 2:58 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Couple of citizenship questions

Hi there,
Me and my spouse applied a few months apart and we ended up ok.
Me: Applied Dec 2013, test/document checking November 2014, ceremony December 2014.
Spouse: Applied April 2014 (waited to be 55 so he didn't have to do IELTS), document checking appointment November 2014, ceremony December 2014.
So we applied 4 months apart and managed to get into the same ceremony. At our document checking we mentioned we were together as our appointments were 2 days apart at the same location in Nanaimo.
I sent in copies of GCSE, A Level & degree certificates and they were good with that. Spouse didn't need anything as he's a giff.
Sarah