Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Could somebody give me a little help ?

Wikiposts

Could somebody give me a little help ?

Old Oct 24th 2009, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

celticbhoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Could somebody give me a little help ?

Allright,
Im a 17 year old boy in Scotland and i have my heart set on moving to Canada. I would like to do this as soon as possible but i do realise that it does take time.
I have considered pursuing a career in plumbing. Should i learn that here and then move to Canada ? Basically i want to know has anyone been in my position ? and how long did it take you to move ? What did you do ?
ANY help will be appreciated very much
Old Oct 24th 2009, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of
Default Re: Could somebody give me a little help ?

Originally Posted by celticbhoy
Allright,
Im a 17 year old boy in Scotland and i have my heart set on moving to Canada. I would like to do this as soon as possible but i do realise that it does take time.
I have considered pursuing a career in plumbing. Should i learn that here and then move to Canada ? Basically i want to know has anyone been in my position ? and how long did it take you to move ? What did you do ?
ANY help will be appreciated very much
Hi Celticbhoy,

Well... given your age, I wouldn't get your hopes up in the short term. That's not to say there isn't hope, though.

The best place to start is the Wiki. It gives you all the information you need:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada

Next, do your research. Check out as many threads on the topic as you can. A good one to start with for you would definitely be this one, as it probably will tell you a lot of what you need to know because the chap who started it is like you - quite young, and also wanting to go as a plumber:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=636461

Good luck!
Old Oct 24th 2009, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks alot the sooner i get started the better eh
Old Oct 24th 2009, 9:42 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Step1 - Once you turn 18, apply for a 12 month BUNAC visa to get you out there and see if it's actually what you want (assuming you've not experienced living there before).
Old Oct 24th 2009, 10:16 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Step1 - Once you turn 18, apply for a 12 month BUNAC visa to get you out there and see if it's actually what you want (assuming you've not experienced living there before).
Also check the province you are going to, as the age of majority is 19 in some provinces, so being 18 and on your own may cause problems.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

DibDibbler is an unknown quantity at this point

BUNAC is the way to go to start with, if you want to do plumbing see if its on the list of occupations on the immigration site and how may years you have to be in it to apply, just do that groundwork and then you wont waste your time studying something that wont be useful for the application.

It takes 3 years from start to finish to get a PR card, so with that in mind, if you study for plumbing youll get your grades and then do some practical work, once you can apply youll be in a much better position.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 1:37 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Also check the province you are going to, as the age of majority is 19 in some provinces, so being 18 and on your own may cause problems.
Oh i didn't actually know that. Thanks for clarifying
Old Oct 25th 2009, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

el_richo,
I have been on two holidays, one to Vancouver and the other was in Winnipeg. I really enjoyed it and obviously i do realise that it will be different actually living there but im pretty sure i want to move over there.

DibDibler,
Could you explain a little more about this BUNAC as im not quite sure what you mean.

Cheers everyone
Old Oct 25th 2009, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

el_richo,
I have been on two holidays, one to Vancouver and the other was in Winnipeg. I really enjoyed it and obviously i do realise that it will be different actually living there but im pretty sure i want to move over there.

DibDibler,
Could you explain a little more about this BUNAC as im not quite sure what you mean.

Cheers everyone
Check it out here:

http://www.bunac.org/

Tom
Old Oct 25th 2009, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice

You know, I'm not completely sure I'd do BUNAC so soon. It's a very useful strategem and, if you really want to move to Canada, then I'd think carefully about when you want to use it.

i.e. you might want to wait until you have useful skills and then use it to come over here and find an employer who wants those skills. Then you can use that to get PR.

At 17, I'd be surprised if you had truly useful skills yet. You'd end up coming over here, doing unskilled work and then having to go back. It's possible this is something you need to do to prove to yourself you want to immigrate.

As to the plumbing idea. Pick an occupation you think you might enjoy. Forget whether it helps with immigration because doing something you don't like for 40 years is a dreadful idea.

If you do something you enjoy, then you'll get good at it, and people will want your skills.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 1:18 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Just throwing this out and it depends on funds, but what about getting a student permit and going to a trade school in Canada? Gets the education and the experience.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

I think plumbers are in demand everywhere! Go for it Celticbhoy! Keep your dream alive and get yourself to Canada sweetie!
Old Oct 26th 2009, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the link Tom but i think ill take Esarge's advice as i dont really have any skills to offer, as of yet.
Also im pretty sure plumbing would be good as i like work that is practicle.
Ive read what plumbing involves many times and it all sounds good so as of yet no problems there.
I reckon ill go to college or try for an apprenticeship, and get qualified as an actual plumber. After that how does it go? Do i need years of experience? And if so does anybody know how many years?

The Aviator,
When i was on holiday me and my parents were lookin that idea up, but it would be a bit too much money unfortunatly.

Aye i wont give up on this easily Elizabeth
Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Aye i wont give up on this easily Elizabeth

Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

Don't disregard Bunac quite yet. They also offer a student one. You can do the student one and then later on when you aren't a student any more, you can do the non-student one. I *think* (and I could be wrong so make sure to check their site) that you can do the student one more than once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.