Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

costs for dealing with the immigration process

costs for dealing with the immigration process

Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

woodworker has a spectacular aura aboutwoodworker has a spectacular aura aboutwoodworker has a spectacular aura about
Default costs for dealing with the immigration process

Weve been in touch with a company today based in London enquiring about applying for a permanent residency visa.
They quoted £1500 plus vat for the whole family for application of the visa,£300 per adult and £80 per child for the Embassy fees and £100 each for the medicals .
They also stated that the application would be dealt with within 6 to 8 months providing there was no hangups .
Does this sound a reasonable price ,or is it possible to deal with the application ourselves.
Has anybody had dealings with these type of companies ,and are they trustworthy ,Thanks for any advice
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

KS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really nice
Default Re: costs for dealing with the immigration process

That's a very common question and the usual answer is that unless there is something particularly complicated or unusual about your circumstances there really, really isn't any need to spend money on a consultant.

A lot of us here (myself included) did it ourselves and while it is a time consuming and stressful process, using a consultant is still going to require you gathering all the information, you filling in the forms and you doing all the worrying. The only difference is that you get to spend a lot of money just to have someone check the forms ... and if you have any doubts or questions or things that need checking, you can just as easily and much more cheaply post your questions here.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodworker
Weve been in touch with a company today based in London enquiring about applying for a permanent residency visa.
They quoted £1500 plus vat for the whole family for application of the visa,£300 per adult and £80 per child for the Embassy fees and £100 each for the medicals .
They also stated that the application would be dealt with within 6 to 8 months providing there was no hangups .
Does this sound a reasonable price ,or is it possible to deal with the application ourselves.
Has anybody had dealings with these type of companies ,and are they trustworthy ,Thanks for any advice
Hi
Woodworker
Interesting about the embassy & medical fees
My direct fees were as follows~
$550 CIC application fee per adult
$490 Landing fee per adult

medical fee
£200 per adult

hope this helps
regards
Joinerboy
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

lifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to all

Hi,

My advice is to have a really good look at the forms on the CIC website, then go back a few days later and take another look at them. Hopefully you'll decide that they're not really that hard to fill in yourself. If you do decide to use a 'consultant' you must remember that it will still be YOU gathering all your documents together (education docs, employment contracts, birth, marriage certificate), and YOU working out all those previous addresses and dates and that's the hardest part. Once you have it all, it really isn't that hard to fill in the forms, get docs notarised etc.

Why pay someone to do it for you when you can do it just as well yourself. There's no preferential treatment given to applications sent in from consultants either so it's not going to speed anything up.

Unless you have a complicated family/criminal/ medical situation I'd urge you take a good look at the forms yourself.

At first my instinct was to pay someone to do it for us. But then when I actually printed everything off, read the guidelines and saw what had to be done, we decided to do it ourselves.

Whatever you decide, good luck!
Old Sep 24th 2009, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

woodworker has a spectacular aura aboutwoodworker has a spectacular aura aboutwoodworker has a spectacular aura about
Wink Re: costs for dealing with the immigration process

Originally Posted by KS2008
That's a very common question and the usual answer is that unless there is something particularly complicated or unusual about your circumstances there really, really isn't any need to spend money on a consultant.

A lot of us here (myself included) did it ourselves and while it is a time consuming and stressful process, using a consultant is still going to require you gathering all the information, you filling in the forms and you doing all the worrying. The only difference is that you get to spend a lot of money just to have someone check the forms ... and if you have any doubts or questions or things that need checking, you can just as easily and much more cheaply post your questions here.
There shouldnt be any complication fingers crossed and by what people are saying i think it will be better to look at the forms ourselves and save a lot of money as well
Old Sep 24th 2009, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lifeisajourney
Hi,

My advice is to have a really good look at the forms on the CIC website, then go back a few days later and take another look at them. Hopefully you'll decide that they're not really that hard to fill in yourself. If you do decide to use a 'consultant' you must remember that it will still be YOU gathering all your documents together (education docs, employment contracts, birth, marriage certificate), and YOU working out all those previous addresses and dates and that's the hardest part. Once you have it all, it really isn't that hard to fill in the forms, get docs notarised etc.

Why pay someone to do it for you when you can do it just as well yourself. There's no preferential treatment given to applications sent in from consultants either so it's not going to speed anything up.

Unless you have a complicated family/criminal/ medical situation I'd urge you take a good look at the forms yourself.

At first my instinct was to pay someone to do it for us. But then when I actually printed everything off, read the guidelines and saw what had to be done, we decided to do it ourselves.

Whatever you decide, good luck!
Thanks for the advice judging by what people are saying i think well start the process ourselves cheers
Old Sep 24th 2009, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=joinerboy;7961501]Hi
Woodworker
Interesting about the embassy & medical fees
My direct fees were as follows~
$550 CIC application fee per adult
$490 Landing fee per adult

medical fee
£200 per adult

hope this helps
regards
Joinerboy[/QUOTE
That seems reasonable i think were going to start the process ourselves ,judging by what people say it doesnt sound that bad ,the prices vary from company to company ,the company we spoke to also help arrange job interviews but also for a fee cheers

Last edited by woodworker; Sep 24th 2009 at 6:24 pm. Reason: mistake
Old Sep 24th 2009, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Mr Woodworker
I hope that it goes well. My personal feelings are I am going it alone. There are plenty of debates on here about using agents etc so I would try searching on here then have a read for your self and make your own mind up!
Also I would advise (as another poster mentioned) that you simply print out the paper work and have a look at it yourself! You will find it fairly straight forward!
What every you decide I wish you the best of luck!
Old Sep 24th 2009, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dinger24
Mr Woodworker
I hope that it goes well. My personal feelings are I am going it alone. There are plenty of debates on here about using agents etc so I would try searching on here then have a read for your self and make your own mind up!
Also I would advise (as another poster mentioned) that you simply print out the paper work and have a look at it yourself! You will find it fairly straight forward!
What every you decide I wish you the best of luck!
Thanks for that it seems as though the diy approach is the best option,and a money saver ,thanks for the best wishes , i take my hat off to all those who have made the move weve been considering this for the past 12 months and i know that its no easy move, lots of discussions and debates on the fors and against ,but sometimes youve just got to go for it ,lifes too short and before you know it its too late ,then the questions asked in years to come "what if "
cheers
Old Sep 25th 2009, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

hobbitess is on a distinguished road

Indeed Woodworker, I have seen so many of these queries during my fact finds and met a couple of "Agents". I looked at the forms and gave in. But question by question its not so bad, jus the paper chase:curse:

These guys are oracles and despite the reliably thick questions I post there is always an answer, with a smile.

Good luck.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Woodworker

quote[That seems reasonable i think were going to start the process ourselves ,judging by what people say it doesnt sound that bad ,the prices vary from company to company ,the company we spoke to also help arrange job interviews but also for a fee ]quote

They can't charge you for arranging employment it's illegal in Canada

regards
Joinerboy
Old Sep 25th 2009, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by joinerboy
Hi Woodworker

quote[That seems reasonable i think were going to start the process ourselves ,judging by what people say it doesnt sound that bad ,the prices vary from company to company ,the company we spoke to also help arrange job interviews but also for a fee ]quote

They can't charge you for arranging employment it's illegal in Canada

regards
Joinerboy
Cheers mate ill look into that ive sent you a pm