Corona and IEC awaiting entry.

Old Mar 18th 2020, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Corona and IEC awaiting entry.

Just wondering if anyone has seen anything people entering on temporary work permits/IEC working holiday visas who can't enter the country.

The only bit I can see is for those applications in progress, nothing about those that have been approved and just need to land -

We won’t refuse your application if you cannot complete the next step due to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). This applies to applications for
  • a visitor visa
  • a work permit
  • a study permit
  • permanent residence
Examples of the next steps include
  • submitting your passport or supporting documents, such as a police certificate
  • completing an immigration medical examination
No application in progress will be closed or refused due to a lack of documentation. We’ll automatically give you 90 days to complete these steps. Once you’re able to, complete the steps as soon as possible to avoid delays.
Theres a bit on the PR section for those in this boat, but obviously isn't the same situation, and also talks about restarting your application!

We've got a few months yet, so hoping its passed by then - but who knows, hence the question.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Corona and IEC awaiting entry.

When does your POE letter expire? As it is changing daily nobody knows but once visitors are allowed into Canada as per normal then if POE letter is still valid and nothing has changed (not become inadmissible) then on arrival you would be processed as normal.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
When does your POE letter expire? As it is changing daily nobody knows but once visitors are allowed into Canada as per normal then if POE letter is still valid and nothing has changed (not become inadmissible) then on arrival you would be processed as normal.
Thanks, it doesn't expire until August - its my partners (Plan B for getting in, as i have a PR application in processing) and realise if we can get her across the border before August in theory its happy days.

I'm seriously hoping the borders are back open by then and even if we aren't quite ready to go (can't really plan too much at the moment) i can always stick her on a flight to start her visa off and worry about the rest of it from then. Alternatively my PR should be approved in that time frame hopefully.

The sensible bit of me thinks this will all be done and dusted by then, but the quasi lockdown status in the UK is a major issue in my opinion (Complete lockdown and we can control it, no lockdown and even if every case is currently diagnosed, given the 3-4 day doubling of cases we'd all be infected in circa 60 days, this soft lockdown means people are still spreading it, but others aren't, slowing the spread but not enough in my opinion) as well as how the rest of the world responds to it.
Old Mar 19th 2020, 1:58 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-measures.html
Old Mar 19th 2020, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aye thats the page my quote came directly from the temporary residents bit.

It doesn't discuss anything about POE letters expiring during a travel ban (or being impacted by one, as whilst a ban may be lifted August 1st, its not like we could then hand notice in at work, book flight and go by the 6th).

It states for PR you can use a webform to inform them of their delays- but nothing that i can see around IEC.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

cr204304 has a reputation beyond reputecr204304 has a reputation beyond reputecr204304 has a reputation beyond reputecr204304 has a reputation beyond reputecr204304 has a reputation beyond reputecr204304 has a reputation beyond reputecr204304 has a reputation beyond reputecr204304 has a reputation beyond reputecr204304 has a reputation beyond reputecr204304 has a reputation beyond reputecr204304 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
Just wondering if anyone has seen anything people entering on temporary work permits/IEC working holiday visas who can't enter the country.

The only bit I can see is for those applications in progress, nothing about those that have been approved and just need to land -

Theres a bit on the PR section for those in this boat, but obviously isn't the same situation, and also talks about restarting your application!

We've got a few months yet, so hoping its passed by then - but who knows, hence the question.
Not sure if you were able to find an answer, but IRCC is now saying that the border will be opened early this week to those with work/study visas. Additionally, the travel ban put in place has an effective end date of June 30, 2020. Of course, that can change based on the circumstances, but I'm hopeful that borders will open up to non-essential travel by then. Either way, I think you will be set by August. As the expiration date draws closer, if the situation hasn't changed, you can also submit a webform to IRCC to get a 3-month extension to your visa. So you have plenty of options
Old Mar 24th 2020, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cr204304
Not sure if you were able to find an answer, but IRCC is now saying that the border will be opened early this week to those with work/study visas. Additionally, the travel ban put in place has an effective end date of June 30, 2020. Of course, that can change based on the circumstances, but I'm hopeful that borders will open up to non-essential travel by then. Either way, I think you will be set by August. As the expiration date draws closer, if the situation hasn't changed, you can also submit a webform to IRCC to get a 3-month extension to your visa. So you have plenty of options
Heres to hoping - to be honest this is one of the few situations where I'm not all that concerned - on the grand scale of things its huge, but i have zero control over it so it is what it is.

as you say I'm far from out of options.

1) My COPR comes through fine, I've got 12+ months to enter the country.
2) My PR application is still being processed when the travel ban is lifted pre August - we get her indoors on a flight out there to kick off her work permit, then make a hasty-ish move out there in the months following if my PR doesn't come through so we have a chance to get some Canadian work experience to bump by PR score up somewhat.
3) If travel ban isn't lifted, hope there is allowances made for TWP's etc and the POE letter gets extended.
4) we go next year with one or both of us enrolled into a Canadian uni.
5) I still have PNP as an option.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

timballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nice

My son's in a similar position, although he needs to enter by 24th June so I'm monitoring closely. He had a Skype interview almost a couple of weeks before they closed the borders, but the resort has closed down and they're not sure when they will be reopening for the summer. He was laid off from his work here because of the clampdown and has to give two months' notice on his flat, so I've made the estate agents aware that he might not be able to do that depending on if/when the situation changes. I'm not sure if he should just apply for a 3 month extension to his POE letter just in case. Difficult times. Unable to plan.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 8:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just in case anybody hasn't seen this yet - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-students.html

HTH.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just in case anybody hasn't seen this yet - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-students.html

HTH.
Aye thanks,

We are sitting tight for a few weeks hoping my PR turns up, if not she's getting shipped off on a flight in June/July!!

Strange situation we're in now, is technically we could fly and land in Canada, self isolate etc. But not sure we've got a valid reason to travel to a UK airport as we are on a strict "essential travel only" policy in the UK.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

timballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nice

I think there is some ambiguity in whether an IEC qualifies as a temporary work permit (in these circumstances) - checking this out at the moment. However, the bigger worry is insurance. I read somewhere else that the Immigration Officer can ask to see your health/travel insurance and if it does not cover Covid-19 related issues, has the power to turn you away. Although my son has travel insurance, which would have covered him for Covid-19, you need special insurance for a work permit and can't buy a policy now that would provide cover for Coronavirus.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 9:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by timballs
I think there is some ambiguity in whether an IEC qualifies as a temporary work permit (in these circumstances) - checking this out at the moment. However, the bigger worry is insurance. I read somewhere else that the Immigration Officer can ask to see your health/travel insurance and if it does not cover Covid-19 related issues, has the power to turn you away. Although my son has travel insurance, which would have covered him for Covid-19, you need special insurance for a work permit and can't buy a policy now that would provide cover for Coronavirus.
Yes, it’s a temp work permit. Where is ‘somewhere else’ that you’ve read this? If it’s not an official source then ignore it, if there is a change to the requirements for insurance for IEC visas, CIC will make it clear.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, it’s a temp work permit. Where is ‘somewhere else’ that you’ve read this? If it’s not an official source then ignore it, if there is a change to the requirements for insurance for IEC visas, CIC will make it clear.
Yes, wasn't official admittedly, but did make me worry:

https://pvtistes.net/en/covid-19-can...T-7DxeW_2UuiWE
Old May 21st 2020, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Didn't want to bump this unnecessarily but feel its worthwhile for a) those in the same boat who may have not seen the changes and b) to see if I'm missing something as well as check in with timballs above, whose son is in a similar but more timebound position.

In the past month or so it appears to have changed so that my partner now cant fly over as she is on IEC with no job lined up - But i also can no longer see the option to extend a non activated work permit (unless I am missing something).

Granted flying over and job hunting wasn't going to be on the cards for her in June, but given we have no idea when/if my PR status will be approved (6 months since AOR tomorrow!!) if it wasnt for COVID she'd be flying out there to activate with the fact it would give us 2 years over there to up our points and reapply (My FST score is currently at 412 from memory, got my ITA but had some stumbling blocks with work references and proof of finances which i had to submit in a not quite perfect state) - Currently it would be a fly over, 2 weeks of netflix and ubereats/skipthedishes in a hotel/airbnb near the airport and fly back.
Old May 21st 2020, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

My son has had a 3 month extension to his PoE entry date. What I would suggest is joining an excellent Facebook page called O Canada! IEC Discussion & Support. There are 16.9K members and so many people are in similar situations. In your current situation I don't think you would be allowed in to quarantine, but you will find someone on that Facebook page who will verify.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.