COPR within Canada

Old Mar 25th 2014, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

keelan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default COPR within Canada

I applied for PR within Canada via the PNP process now i just sent off a copy of my passport and 2 photos for my COPR (certificate of permanent residence).

From what i have read, they send you a COPR that then needs to be validated which confuses me a little, wouldn't they send it validated and also then start the process to issue you your first PR card?

Seems a bit strange to get it mailed to me unvalidated then having to go back to the same office to get it validated by appointment or via the border. (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...asp?q=748&t=22)

I am thinking that this is a different process if you are applying within Canada.

Has anybody has anyone been in a similar situation.

Thank you.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COPR within Canada

The COPR forms be it inland or outland are the same. They have to be presented at a POE to be validated. The in Canada ones can also be presented at an inland CIC office.
You would be surprised at how many COPR forms are issued but never validated/activated as people change their minds.
So basically they are the same process.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The COPR forms be it inland or outland are the same. They have to be presented at a POE to be validated. The in Canada ones can also be presented at an inland CIC office.
You would be surprised at how many COPR forms are issued but never validated/activated as people change their minds.
So basically they are the same process.

Ah I see, I guess that explains it. Seems like a very big run around seems the office giving me my COPR will also be validating it. It is what it is. Thank you for clearing that up.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:20 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keelan
Ah I see, I guess that explains it. Seems like a very big run around seems the office giving me my COPR will also be validating it. It is what it is. Thank you for clearing that up.
The processing office where COPR's are sent out from and your local CIC office that can 'land' you are not necessarily one and the same place.

As an example, my COPR came from the Vegreville processing office but my local CIC for landing was in Ontario.

You will need to either go to the border or else call the contact number you will be sent with your COPR and make an appointment to 'land' at your nearest local CIC office. Depending on which office that is, you may have to wait for an appointment for several weeks.

It's standard operating procedures, by the way, regardless of 'where' you happen to be.

Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
The processing office where COPR's are sent out from and your local CIC office that can 'land' you are not necessarily one and the same place.

As an example, my COPR came from the Vegreville processing office but my local CIC for landing was in Ontario.

You will need to either go to the border or else call the contact number you will be sent with your COPR and make an appointment to 'land' at your nearest local CIC office. Depending on which office that is, you may have to wait for an appointment for several weeks.

It's standard operating procedures, by the way, regardless of 'where' you happen to be.

oh don't get me wrong, I understand it's the procedure. I really just thought there would be something a little different for people applying within Canada. I'll probs just make a trip around the flag pole.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

oh don't get me wrong, I understand it's the procedure. I really just thought there would be something a little different for people applying within Canada. I'll probs just make a trip around the flag pole.
Unfortunately not, inland applicants get the same treatment - although they are allowed to go to a local office to 'land' if they want to.

Hope it comes through soon for you!

Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Unfortunately not, inland applicants get the same treatment - although they are allowed to go to a local office to 'land' if they want to.

Hope it comes through soon for you!

Makes sense and thank you.

Just one more question
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...asp?q=748&t=22

So when I make my trip around the pole I'll need:
Passport, COPR, current work permit and proof of implied status.

It says and rather than or for implied status. Why would I need implied status proof if i have a twp?

Unless I am suppose to read it as:
If current work permit expired and you are on implied status then provide proof.

Immigration website is up for debate sometimes.

Last edited by keelan; Mar 25th 2014 at 12:46 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:01 pm
Banned

Makes sense and thank you.

Just one more question
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...asp?q=748&t=22

So when I make my trip around the pole I'll need:
Passport, COPR, current work permit and proof of implied status.

It says and rather than or for implied status. Why would I need implied status proof if i have a twp?

Unless I am suppose to read it as:
If current work permit expired and you are on implied status then provide proof.

Immigration website is up for debate sometimes.
I agree - it would appear that they have got the 'and' bit wrong!

COPR
Passport
Proof of status (current or implied) - TWP or visitor
If you have not paid your RPRF you will need that as well.

Also - if you are going to the border - B4 / B4E goods accompanying and goods to follow lists for CBSA.

Don't forget to get your SI number changed when you have 'landed' - you need a permanent one, not one that starts with a '9'. You may also need to get your Provincial health card updated to reflect your PR status.

Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

I agree - it would appear that they have got the 'and' bit wrong!

COPR
Passport
Proof of status (current or implied) - TWP or visitor
If you have not paid your RPRF you will need that as well.

Also - if you are going to the border - B4 / B4E goods accompanying and goods to follow lists for CBSA.

Don't forget to get your SI number changed when you have 'landed' - you need a permanent one, not one that starts with a '9'. You may also need to get your Provincial health card updated to reflect your PR status.

Well I don't think I'll need to do a b4, i have been in Canada since 09 so i havent got anything else to bring and i was requested to pay my rprf so that is already done.

Simply a matter of making a trip to the border, update my sin/health card and await a my PR card.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 3:04 pm
Banned

Well I don't think I'll need to do a b4, i have been in Canada since 09 so i havent got anything else to bring and i was requested to pay my rprf so that is already done.

Simply a matter of making a trip to the border, update my sin/health card and await a my PR card.
Glad to have been of help.