Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

COPR received but medical expires in January

COPR received but medical expires in January

Old Dec 8th 2020, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Clara_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default COPR received but medical expires in January

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I've been reading up on here for the past two years and it's a priceless resource for us - thank you to everyone who puts in so much time, effort and humour into all their posts!

So here's my first question. My software developer husband and I (retraining as a web developer, too) have been going through the process of applying for PR over the past year (intending to bring our two young children to Kitchener-Waterloo) and we've just received our COPR. It has an expiry date of November 8th 2021. However, our medical certificates expire soon, at the start of January. The first letter we received stated the COPR will expire when the medicals expire.

I get the impression from a similar previous question in 2016 that it's the date on the COPR that matters, and in the current circumstances we're assuming the deadline has been extended with the pandemic circumstances in mind. Are we likely to be right about this, please?

Thanks!
Old Dec 8th 2020, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COPR received but medical expires in January

If you’re outside Canada

If we approved your permanent resident application before March 18th, 2020 or you are exempt from the travel restrictions, but you can't travel to Canada before your documents expire, or your documents have already expired, you don’t need to tell us until you’re ready to move to Canada and live here permanently.

When you’re ready to move to Canada

You can come to Canada and become a permanent resident now, if we approved your permanent resident application before March 18th, 2020 or you are exempt from the travel restrictions, if you plan to stay and settle here. If you’re planning on coming temporarily and leaving again, you can’t do that right now unless you meet a different travel exemption.

Use the Web form to let us know when you are ready to move to Canada to live and settle here as a permanent resident. We’ll contact you with more information once the Web form is received.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...s.html#expired
Old Dec 8th 2020, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks we've seen that but are thinking that surely the deadline on the COPR takes into account the January expiry - we were thinking it must have been set with our submitted documents in mind. But maybe that's not how it works.

I wish they would answer people's questions more directly. We can't go ahead with putting our house on the market and so on, if it expires in January and without knowing if they would grant us an extension.
Old Dec 8th 2020, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

It is the expiry date on the CoPR that matters. It is 'usually' one year from the date of the medical, but not always. Looks like they are cutting some slack due to Covid.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 8:15 am
Just Joined

That's what we've been hoping - thanks.