COPR and next step

Old Dec 1st 2016, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

HighCeiling is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: COPR and next step

Originally Posted by Leaf25
Thanks Siouxie, that clarifies things for me

I've just been reading up on entry into the US. Do I need to obtain an I-94 number before I travel? I know in the wiki it mentions about getting the I-94 back before going through the Canadian border. I have an ESTA from when I flew to the States in January this year, so I know I'm ok on that front.

As far as I can tell it's basically drive to the border, present my British passport, ESTA and WP. Once through, visit the States. Come back to border crossing and say to CBSA "I want to activate my PR", present documents in the COPR list, Goods to follow and goods accompaniying, and the I-94 document the Americans should have given me previously?

Apologies if I'm making a big deal of this! Just trying to get organised and make sure I am fully prepared before going through with it Never driven over a border before, always flown.
Yep you will need to get an I-94 when crossing into the USA, you also need to make sure you have the ESTA. I wouldn't specifically mention that you want an I-94 or anything to do with Canada, just say you are wanting to do a bit of shopping or whatever. The border agent, will know that you will need an I-94, you will go inside and have to pay $6. I believe the I-94 is valid for 90 days.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighCeiling
Yep you will need to get an I-94 when crossing into the USA, you also need to make sure you have the ESTA. I wouldn't specifically mention that you want an I-94 or anything to do with Canada, just say you are wanting to do a bit of shopping or whatever. The border agent, will know that you will need an I-94, you will go inside and have to pay $6. I believe the I-94 is valid for 90 days.
ESTA is not required for land border crossings by private vehicle (though it does make the border agents job a bit easier if you do have it).
Old Dec 1st 2016, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Leaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome thanks So I just get this when I cross? I don't need to apply for a number before hand?
Old Dec 1st 2016, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

HighCeiling is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome thanks So I just get this when I cross? I don't need to apply for a number before hand?
Nope, just cross and they will sort it out for you. Took be about 10-15 mins, depends on the queue of course. They asked me if I had an ESTA when I got the I-94. They staple the I-94 into your passport.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

Leaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
ESTA is not required for land border crossings by private vehicle (though it does make the border agents job a bit easier if you do have it).
Good to know, thanks!

Nope, just cross and they will sort it out for you. Took be about 10-15 mins, depends on the queue of course. They asked me if I had an ESTA when I got the I-94. They staple the I-94 into your passport.
Great! Another thing to staple in the thing! Passport is becoming as thick as the yellow pages with all these extra papers!!!!!

Thanks for confirming HighCeiling

Last edited by Leaf25; Dec 1st 2016 at 4:54 am.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah if you have ESTA, then they can use the declarations you made as part of the application, so you don't need to make them again. If you don't have ESTA, you fill in the green I-94 and make the declarations there. You can 100% cross a land border in a private vehicle without ESTA.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 6:05 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know, thanks!

Great! Another thing to staple in the thing! Passport is becoming as thick as the yellow pages with all these extra papers!!!!!

Thanks for confirming HighCeiling
They'll staple your COPR in it as well, once you land! Don't lose it, you need it for Citizenship, pensions etc.

One thing to add, when you do your 'goods accompanying' list, make sure to include things that you have taken over the border with you - bag of clothes, laptop, phone or what have you.

Old Dec 1st 2016, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
They'll staple your COPR in it as well, once you land! Don't lose it, you need it for Citizenship, pensions etc.

One thing to add, when you do your 'goods accompanying' list, make sure to include things that you have taken over the border with you - bag of clothes, laptop, phone or what have you.

What happens when my passport expires and I get a new one??

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Gonna have to staple the passport shut at this rate!!!

You mean the things that I've taken across for the trip?
Old Dec 1st 2016, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

What happens when my passport expires and I get a new one??

Gonna have to staple the passport shut at this rate!!!

You mean the things that I've taken across for the trip?
Once you get the COPR activated take it out of the passport and keep it somewhere safe. You will need it many many years down the road. As you are issued with a PR card no need for the COPR once you get the card.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 11:19 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

My husband's COPR want stapled to his passport when he landed, they just gave him the papers back and told him not to lose them.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

That happened with my 2nd work permit when I got it in 2015, the border agent stapled it to my passport because they changed the process or something so people wouldn't lose them as easily. I know my first work permit I got in 2014 the woman just gave it to me....never said anything.

I'm gonna be keeping all my documents and letters etc from my EE application and work permit. Never know when you might any of it in the future.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been reading up on entry into the US. Do I need to obtain an I-94 number before I travel? I know in the wiki it mentions about getting the I-94 back before going through the Canadian border. I have an ESTA from when I flew to the States in January this year, so I know I'm ok on that front.
If you are crossing the land border, you will be told to park up, and enter the building. You will be quizzed on where you're going/what you're doing. If satisfied that you're a genuine visitor, you will have a piece of cardboard stapled into your passport. That is your I94 form. It cannot be applied for before you get to the border, and you must get it at the border. It costs $6 in US cash or credit card. If you already have a valid ESTA, they can copy the information across from that, which saves time, but does not remove the requirement to get it.

The I94 is valid for 90 days, and the Americans insist you must return it to either the Canadians, or them, when it expires (or the last time you expect to cross the border back before it expires). The Canadians roll their eyes at this, and humour them but don't seem to understand why.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
If you are crossing the land border, you will be told to park up, and enter the building. You will be quizzed on where you're going/what you're doing. If satisfied that you're a genuine visitor, you will have a piece of cardboard stapled into your passport. That is your I94 form. It cannot be applied for before you get to the border, and you must get it at the border. It costs $6 in US cash or credit card. If you already have a valid ESTA, they can copy the information across from that, which saves time, but does not remove the requirement to get it.

The I94 is valid for 90 days, and the Americans insist you must return it to either the Canadians, or them, when it expires (or the last time you expect to cross the border back before it expires). The Canadians roll their eyes at this, and humour them but don't seem to understand why.
Returning it to the Canadians is where they are supposed to send it back to the Americans to confirm I've left right?
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

yes