COPR and next step

Old Nov 29th 2016, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Leaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond repute
Default COPR and next step

I have received my COPR I just got back from England on Sunday and my COPR was at the post office last Thursday. If it had been a week earlier I could have activated when I returned

Anyway I'm in the GTA and looked at maybe going to Boston or Washington for an overnight visit, then when I return activate my PR. But looking at flight prices and with it coming up to Christmas it's more expensive than I thought.

So I'm thinking of driving to Buffalo and staying over night there and returning. Or would it be fine just going for the day? I've read various posts on here with different views and experiences on literally going and turning round. I've also read about B4 or B15 forms? I've not seen any mention of this on the documents required on my COPR. I was planning on just taking all the hard copies of what I uploaded with me for the process just incase.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COPR and next step

Originally Posted by Leaf25
I have received my COPR I just got back from England on Sunday and my COPR was at the post office last Thursday. If it had been a week earlier I could have activated when I returned

Anyway I'm in the GTA and looked at maybe going to Boston or Washington for an overnight visit, then when I return activate my PR. But looking at flight prices and with it coming up to Christmas it's more expensive than I thought.

So I'm thinking of driving to Buffalo and staying over night there and returning. Or would it be fine just going for the day? I've read various posts on here with different views and experiences on literally going and turning round. I've also read about B4 or B15 forms? I've not seen any mention of this on the documents required on my COPR. I was planning on just taking all the hard copies of what I uploaded with me for the process just incase.

Wiki is your friend - this should help

Trip around the flagpole-Canada : British Expat Wiki
Old Nov 29th 2016, 3:26 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on COPR!

Also read the wiki articles about Landing, it addresses most of your questions, along with the Flagpoling article that Hurl posted.

Happy landing!
Old Nov 29th 2016, 4:19 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

For the what was B4 now BSF186 - Goods to follow, you'll need these for anything you have back in the UK (or where ever) and want to ship over at any point either now or in the future, without paying taxes on them.

Goods To Follow-Canada : British Expat Wiki

Old Nov 29th 2016, 6:43 am
Just Joined

toeknee has a reputation beyond reputetoeknee has a reputation beyond reputetoeknee has a reputation beyond reputetoeknee has a reputation beyond reputetoeknee has a reputation beyond reputetoeknee has a reputation beyond reputetoeknee has a reputation beyond reputetoeknee has a reputation beyond reputetoeknee has a reputation beyond reputetoeknee has a reputation beyond reputetoeknee has a reputation beyond repute

After advice from a friend who 'flagpoled' in Buffalo who now has an administrative refusal on her US border records and is delayed as she is called to explain this 'refusal' on each US entry, although without an actual refusal to date.

So I didn't use the phrase "flagpole" at Rainbow Bridge Niagara. My wife and I said we were coming to do a shopping daytrip at some plaza. After an unremarkable successful entry, we promptly turned left and paid the bridge toll to re-enter Canada and 'land' at the Canadian border.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toeknee
After advice from a friend who 'flagpoled' in Buffalo who now has an administrative refusal on her US border records and is delayed as she is called to explain this 'refusal' on each US entry, although without an actual refusal to date.

So I didn't use the phrase "flagpole" at Rainbow Bridge Niagara. My wife and I said we were coming to do a shopping daytrip at some plaza. After an unremarkable successful entry, we promptly turned left and paid the bridge toll to re-enter Canada and 'land' at the Canadian border.
That's unusual.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 7:38 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
That's unusual.
I would agree- that has been discussed at length in the past, there will always be occasional exceptions but we have never had a problem, we travel frequently and it seems the vast majority of people never have a problem
Old Nov 29th 2016, 7:54 am
Just Joined

toeknee has a reputation beyond reputetoeknee has a reputation beyond reputetoeknee has a reputation beyond reputetoeknee has a reputation beyond reputetoeknee has a reputation beyond reputetoeknee has a reputation beyond reputetoeknee has a reputation beyond reputetoeknee has a reputation beyond reputetoeknee has a reputation beyond reputetoeknee has a reputation beyond reputetoeknee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I would agree- that has been discussed at length in the past, there will always be occasional exceptions but we have never had a problem, we travel frequently and it seems the vast majority of people never have a problem
It might well be but she sure sounded cheesed off and couldn't wait to tell me about her border issues and was quite insistent on me not mentioning flagpoling when she found out I was planning to land at the Niagara crossing.

Who knows - it may just be the way it was reported on her US border records.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Leaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
For the what was B4 now BSF186 - Goods to follow, you'll need these for anything you have back in the UK (or where ever) and want to ship over at any point either now or in the future, without paying taxes on them.

Goods To Follow-Canada : British Expat Wiki

Oh gees, there's me thinking of going to Buffalo for an overnight visit would be fairly quick and easy! Now I got to remember what I would likely bring over. I lived with parents up until I moved to Canada, and even now I live with family so things like bed linen, kitchen utensils I don't have any/they aren't mine. I haven't got alot of things to bring over anyway I guess.

I presume as I am already in Canada and driving over the border I'm only gonna have an overnight bag so I won't have anything to list? Or have I got to list things like "toilet bag"?

What do you do for example, your clothes you brought over in your suitcase when you first entered on an IEC or TWP?

Or is this all more for people who are literally packing up their whole house in the UK or wherever and landing in Canada?
Old Nov 29th 2016, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Originally Posted by toeknee
It might well be but she sure sounded cheesed off and couldn't wait to tell me about her border issues and was quite insistent on me not mentioning flagpoling when she found out I was planning to land at the Niagara crossing.

Who knows - it may just be the way it was reported on her US border records.
Or it may be an issue (or a non-issue) other than the admin refusal, one never knows.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh gees, there's me thinking of going to Buffalo for an overnight visit would be fairly quick and easy! Now I got to remember what I would likely bring over. I lived with parents up until I moved to Canada, and even now I live with family so things like bed linen, kitchen utensils I don't have any/they aren't mine. I haven't got alot of things to bring over anyway I guess.

I presume as I am already in Canada and driving over the border I'm only gonna have an overnight bag so I won't have anything to list? Or have I got to list things like "toilet bag"?

What do you do for example, your clothes you brought over in your suitcase when you first entered on an IEC or TWP?

Or is this all more for people who are literally packing up their whole house in the UK or wherever and landing in Canada?
I think you might have missed the relevant part of the phrase "goods to follow". The list can be a bit vague/general: e.g. Personal items (clothes, books ...); household goods (kitchen stuff, furniture, etc)...

Last edited by Shirtback; Nov 29th 2016 at 9:15 am.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Congrats on COPR!

Also read the wiki articles about Landing, it addresses most of your questions, along with the Flagpoling article that Hurl posted.

Happy landing!
Thank you
Old Nov 29th 2016, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I think you might have missed the relevant part of the phrase "goods to follow". The list can be a bit vague/general: e.g. Personal items (clothes, books ...); household goods (kitchen stuff, furniture, etc)...
Ye sorry I was referring to both accompanying and goods to follow!

I've checked the link above with the landing wiki etc. With the accompanying list... My phone for example was bought in Canada. Is it a case of just listing everything I'll have with me when I land, regardless of where it's from? Like this is all I have, documented in the list? Including my car?
Old Nov 29th 2016, 11:14 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Ye sorry I was referring to both accompanying and goods to follow!

I've checked the link above with the landing wiki etc. With the accompanying list... My phone for example was bought in Canada. Is it a case of just listing everything I'll have with me when I land, regardless of where it's from? Like this is all I have, documented in the list? Including my car?
Think of it this way.

1) Things that you have physically on your person, when you cross the border into Canada. This is your 'Goods Accompanying' regardless of where it was bought

2) The CD's, books, games, PS3, photo albums, bike, the teddy your Mum gave you when you were 6 months old, that one day you will decide to ship over from the UK (or where ever) to Canada. This is your 'Goods to Follow'

Old Dec 1st 2016, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Think of it this way.

1) Things that you have physically on your person, when you cross the border into Canada. This is your 'Goods Accompanying' regardless of where it was bought

2) The CD's, books, games, PS3, photo albums, bike, the teddy your Mum gave you when you were 6 months old, that one day you will decide to ship over from the UK (or where ever) to Canada. This is your 'Goods to Follow'

Thanks Siouxie, that clarifies things for me

I've just been reading up on entry into the US. Do I need to obtain an I-94 number before I travel? I know in the wiki it mentions about getting the I-94 back before going through the Canadian border. I have an ESTA from when I flew to the States in January this year, so I know I'm ok on that front.

As far as I can tell it's basically drive to the border, present my British passport, ESTA and WP. Once through, visit the States. Come back to border crossing and say to CBSA "I want to activate my PR", present documents in the COPR list, Goods to follow and goods accompaniying, and the I-94 document the Americans should have given me previously?

Apologies if I'm making a big deal of this! Just trying to get organised and make sure I am fully prepared before going through with it Never driven over a border before, always flown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.