Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

COPR - Landing city different from destination city

COPR - Landing city different from destination city

Old Jul 24th 2018, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

UKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default COPR - Landing city different from destination city

Hi, I wondered if it is ok to land in a different province and city to the 'destination city' in my COPR (i.e. Vancouver instead of Ottawa). The landing will be to activate my PR for the first time and it is a non-provincial nominated visa. I've seen some older posts suggesting this is ok but just wanting to double check.

Should I seek approval from CIC before doing so or request a change to the COPR?
Old Jul 24th 2018, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COPR - Landing city different from destination city

Originally Posted by UKexpat82
Hi, I wondered if it is ok to land in a different province and city to the 'destination city' in my COPR (i.e. Vancouver instead of Ottawa). The landing will be to activate my PR for the first time and it is a non-provincial nominated visa. I've seen some older posts suggesting this is ok but just wanting to double check.

Should I seek approval from CIC before doing so or request a change to the COPR?
No problem whatsoever.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

UKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, that's great to hear.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

You just have to land at the first airport that you arrive at in Canada ................. so it must be a non-stop flight to Vancouver.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 8:16 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKexpat82

Provided that you are not nominated by a Province, you can land at any airport in Canada.

I am a new permanent resident in Canada. Can I live somewhere other than the “city of destination” on my Confirmation of Permanent Residence?

Old Jul 24th 2018, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Thanks for the link. I did see it earlier but was not sure if that applied to the landing destination being different from destination city. Looks like I got the confirmation though
Old Jul 24th 2018, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Now dependent on which Province nominated you and where you land it can sill be done. How does a UK citizen say nominated for PEI, New Brunswick, Saskatchewan do it seeing as there are no direct flights to those Provinces from the UK
Old Jul 26th 2018, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

LizLon is an unknown quantity at this point

I was literally just looking for the answer to this question. I'm wondering if it's also ok to land in Quebec? They have that special application don't they? But Montreal is the closest airport that BA flies direct to from London so we'd like to fly to there and drive to Ottawa where we will be looking to live. Also I have family in Montreal that it would be good to visit... Or will the Quebec part of it all make a big hassle for landing for the first time?

TIA
Old Jul 26th 2018, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LizLon
I was literally just looking for the answer to this question. I'm wondering if it's also ok to land in Quebec? They have that special application don't they? But Montreal is the closest airport that BA flies direct to from London so we'd like to fly to there and drive to Ottawa where we will be looking to live. Also I have family in Montreal that it would be good to visit... Or will the Quebec part of it all make a big hassle for landing for the first time?

TIA
I cant see it being a problem as you have no intention of living in Quebec.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I cant see it being a problem as you have no intention of living in Quebec.
thanks! way easier and cheaper to fly to Montreal than Ottawa oh Toronto for that matter!
now just get approved 😉
Old Jul 26th 2018, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

thanks! way easier and cheaper to fly to Montreal than Ottawa oh Toronto for that matter!
now just get approved 😉
As FL said, no problem. Montreal airport is about a 2:20 drive then on to Ottawa (depending on which part). There is of course a direct flight from LHR to Ottawa from Air Canada. Ottawa airport is a darling little airport and very quick and easy to get through.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
As FL said, no problem. Montreal airport is about a 2:20 drive then on to Ottawa (depending on which part). There is of course a direct flight from LHR to Ottawa from Air Canada. Ottawa airport is a darling little airport and very quick and easy to get through.
thinks i am well acquainted with both of them! I hate air Canada. with a passion. they are more expensive than other airlines for nothing. and every time I have ever flown with them they have lost my luggage 🤔😡 Montreal is easier as my mum lives there so we would have to be making a trip there at some point in the first week of arrival so best to get it out of the way. I was just worried that if we landed there they would think we were trying to live in Quebec which we most certainly are not! haven't even got PR for the other half yet so jumping the gun a bit but realising we have probably got less than 10 months before we leave I'm trying to see about everything we can do to prepare in advance!
Old Jul 27th 2018, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
What if they had been nominated for PR by Manitoba? For me its simple if I suspect that they have no intention of living in the Province that nominated them then I won't land them therefore no PR status and still treated as a visitor. If suspected of being inadmissible for misrep or non compliance then entry could be refused and they end up being sent back home dependent on the circumstances. A Province could withdraw their PR application prior to being landed.
This is a very interesting thread indeed. All of this makes sense (I'm assuming here as we are spousal application) if you have been nominated under a provincial system... but for a spousal application? We will be living in Ottawa because it's the closest city to Montreal! Which is where I'm from (kind of) and where my mother currently resides. My father is in Ottawa. My british spouse doesn't speak French, hence the move to Ontario... but only Air Canada flies direct to Ottawa from London and they are three times more expensive than a flight to Montreal (where we usually land when we go on holiday)...

So, if we land in Montreal with the intention of going to Ottawa (which, let's be in honest, in terms of distance is pretty darn close) will they send us back? Also what is the deal with Quebec having their own system? Could they turn us away or not 'land' us because we will be living in Ontario?

Many thanks!
Old Jul 27th 2018, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is a very interesting thread indeed. All of this makes sense (I'm assuming here as we are spousal application) if you have been nominated under a provincial system... but for a spousal application? We will be living in Ottawa because it's the closest city to Montreal! Which is where I'm from (kind of) and where my mother currently resides. My father is in Ottawa. My british spouse doesn't speak French, hence the move to Ontario... but only Air Canada flies direct to Ottawa from London and they are three times more expensive than a flight to Montreal (where we usually land when we go on holiday)...

So, if we land in Montreal with the intention of going to Ottawa (which, let's be in honest, in terms of distance is pretty darn close) will they send us back? Also what is the deal with Quebec having their own system? Could they turn us away or not 'land' us because we will be living in Ontario?

Many thanks!
I wouldn't worry about it as you have not been nominated by Quebec under PNP. As for Quebec having their own system well its a deal they struck for workers and students wanting to work or study in Quebec.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

Thought I would share an update. Landed in Vancouver and successfully activated my PR. My COPR had city of destination as Ottawa and was asked if I still intended to reside there. I told the officer that I would be residing in the future in BC. No issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.