Converting work permit to PR

Old Jul 4th 2005, 6:21 pm
Account Closed

pat12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Converting work permit to PR

I would be interested if Mr. Miller could please provide me with some advice. I am a GP from the UK currently working on a temp 12 month work permit in B.C. I would like to move to Ontario after my 1 year is up, the reason I didn't go there in the 1st place was because when I applied for jobs and registration last year, the College of Physicians of Ontario had a very restrictive policy re. the employment and registration of foreign docs. This has changed as of last month as they realised that they have a dire shortage of GPs. I thought it may be better to apply for PR instead of renewing my work permit, however, looking at the CIC website, to gain an additional 10 points from applying from here, I would need to have 12 months on my work permit at the time of application. How is this possible since I'm already here and working? Also, another point re. my medical degree - the UK degree is an undergraduate bachelors degree, unlike the US and Canadian medical degrees which are post-graduate, how does this affect ones points? One more question, if I were to apply for PR, would I still need a work permit once my current one is up (assuming the processing of PR takes up to 2 years)? I'd very grateful if you could advise on the most appropriate course of action. Thanks
Old Jul 4th 2005, 6:42 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Converting work permit to PR

It is more complex than you may hope it to be.

There is no "12 months on work permit at time of application" requirement anymore, you are reading outdated information. There are few ways to get Arranged Employment points, and determination which way to pick can only be made after full assessment of all circumstances.

Fact that you will have PR application in process doesn't change anything as your status in Canada goes - you still need to extend your status and extend your work permit until you become a PR.

Originally Posted by pat12
I would be interested if Mr. Miller could please provide me with some advice. I am a GP from the UK currently working on a temp 12 month work permit in B.C. I would like to move to Ontario after my 1 year is up, the reason I didn't go there in the 1st place was because when I applied for jobs and registration last year, the College of Physicians of Ontario had a very restrictive policy re. the employment and registration of foreign docs. This has changed as of last month as they realised that they have a dire shortage of GPs. I thought it may be better to apply for PR instead of renewing my work permit, however, looking at the CIC website, to gain an additional 10 points from applying from here, I would need to have 12 months on my work permit at the time of application. How is this possible since I'm already here and working? Also, another point re. my medical degree - the UK degree is an undergraduate bachelors degree, unlike the US and Canadian medical degrees which are post-graduate, how does this affect ones points? One more question, if I were to apply for PR, would I still need a work permit once my current one is up (assuming the processing of PR takes up to 2 years)? I'd very grateful if you could advise on the most appropriate course of action. Thanks
Old Jul 5th 2005, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

mamboya is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Converting work permit to PR

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
It is more complex than you may hope it to be.

There is no "12 months on work permit at time of application" requirement anymore, you are reading outdated information. There are few ways to get Arranged Employment points, and determination which way to pick can only be made after full assessment of all circumstances.

Fact that you will have PR application in process doesn't change anything as your status in Canada goes - you still need to extend your status and extend your work permit until you become a PR.
Is it possible to apply for a work permit from within canada if you are in on a visitor's visa.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 3:32 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Converting work permit to PR

Nope. Only those who are in Canada already on valid work or study permit may apply inside Canada for extension, change of conditions or new permit. Impossible if here on visitor visa.

Originally Posted by mamboya
Is it possible to apply for a work permit from within canada if you are in on a visitor's visa.