Wikiposts

Converting TWP to PR Question!

Old Jul 8th 2010, 8:58 am
Animal Member

FelisCattus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Converting TWP to PR Question!

Hi Folks,

I was just reading the CIC website and I want to make sure I'm understanding something correctly.
If I'm employed as a vet in Ontario under a TWP and the job offer is permanent - then I should be apply for PR under the skilled worker program (skill level A), right? I think the application can be expedited too if I'm in the country.
However, I am a new graduate and I don't have a year's experience in my field yet, so does that mean that I have to wait a year before I can apply for PR

Another question, can you still use the FSW program if your profession is not on the "List"
Also are Federal Skilled Workers the same as Skilled Workers? - the terms seem to be interchangeable on the CIC site

Thanks in advance!
FC
Old Jul 8th 2010, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Converting TWP to PR Question!

It's all about the FSW category you apply under. If category 1, you must be on the FSW list of approved occupations, and don't require a Labour Market Opinion or anything like that, just proof of past experience in that profession. If Category 2, you need a job offer, with a positive Labour Market Opinion, or to have an already approved work permit in hand.

Since you have no experience however, this does mean you will either have to work for a year, either in the UK or in Canada under a TWP, so you can get enough points to immigrate. Without experience it is unlikely you will have enough points.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 8:24 pm
Animal Member

Ok thanks for that, do you reckon having done two degrees previous to veterinary medicine - one of which was a PhD would provide enough points?
Old Jul 8th 2010, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

Why don't you calculate carefully your own points first?

Remember that you must meet all of the following:

1. Have at least 12 months of full time (or full time equivalent) of paid work experience in skilled occupation (NOC matrix, skills level 0, A and B) - if you don't have it then no go already and #2 and #3 won't change anything

2. Be eligible to apply - either with qualified arranged employment or with experience in one of the occupation on current eligiblity list - if you are not meeting the requirement then stop here and #3 won't change anything

3. Reach or exceed the pass mark (currently 67 points) - if all 3 above are met then you can apply.

Calculate your points from here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ly-factors.asp
Old Jul 10th 2010, 12:07 am
Animal Member

Originally Posted by crazy72
Why don't you calculate carefully your own points first?

Remember that you must meet all of the following:

1. Have at least 12 months of full time (or full time equivalent) of paid work experience in skilled occupation (NOC matrix, skills level 0, A and B) - if you don't have it then no go already and #2 and #3 won't change anything

2. Be eligible to apply - either with qualified arranged employment or with experience in one of the occupation on current eligiblity list - if you are not meeting the requirement then stop here and #3 won't change anything

3. Reach or exceed the pass mark (currently 67 points) - if all 3 above are met then you can apply.

Calculate your points from here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ly-factors.asp
Bummer, I have enough points even without the work experience. Guess I'll have to wait a year before I apply then.
Thanks Guys!
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:10 pm
Animal Member

Just read this on http://www.skillclear.co.uk/canada/c...r-visa-FSW.asp

Is work experience a requirement?

Work experience is a critical requirement for a Skilled Worker immigrant. Applicants must be able to demonstrate at least one year's work experience in an occupation appearing on the General Occupations List. Applicants with arranged employment in Canada are exempt from the work experience requirement.

So does this mean that because I'll already be working in Canada then I can apply for PR straight away? So much info out there.....it's hard to know what's right and what's not.......
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

Originally Posted by FelisCattus

Applicants with arranged employment in Canada are exempt from the work experience requirement.

So does this mean that because I'll already be working in Canada then I can apply for PR straight away? So much info out there.....it's hard to know what's right and what's not.......
Complete BS. Read the law and it's Regulations, not the nonsense on some not even Canadian consulting firm.

In order to apply under FSW candidate must first and foremost meet the definition of skilled worker.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/SOR-20...-ga:l_6-gb:l_1

Look down into Section 75 - it reads in subsections (2) and (3):

Skilled workers

(2) A foreign national is a skilled worker if

(a) within the 10 years preceding the date of their application for a permanent resident visa, they have at least one year of continuous full-time employment experience, as described in subsection 80(7), or the equivalent in continuous part-time employment in one or more occupations, other than a restricted occupation, that are listed in Skill Type 0 Management Occupations or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification matrix;

(b) during that period of employment they performed the actions described in the lead statement for the occupation as set out in the occupational descriptions of the National Occupational Classification; and

(c) during that period of employment they performed a substantial number of the main duties of the occupation as set out in the occupational descriptions of the National Occupational Classification, including all of the essential duties.

Minimal requirements

(3) If the foreign national fails to meet the requirements of subsection (2), the application for a permanent resident visa shall be refused and no further assessment is required.

Only after meeting the definition of skilled worker comes the next step - the eligibility to apply determination, having either arranged employment or qualifying work experience in occupation on the current list of 29.

After that come the selection factors and pass mark.

Again - read the laws, regulations, rules and everything else what you need to know on CIC website, don't ever rely on a third party crap, especially when such third party obviously contradicts the law and makes ridiculous statements.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:32 pm
Animal Member

Originally Posted by crazy72
Complete BS. Read the law and it's Regulations, not the nonsense on some not even Canadian consulting firm.

In order to apply under FSW candidate must first and foremost meet the definition of skilled worker.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/SOR-20...-ga:l_6-gb:l_1

Look down into Section 75 - it reads in subsections (2) and (3):

Skilled workers

(2) A foreign national is a skilled worker if

(a) within the 10 years preceding the date of their application for a permanent resident visa, they have at least one year of continuous full-time employment experience, as described in subsection 80(7), or the equivalent in continuous part-time employment in one or more occupations, other than a restricted occupation, that are listed in Skill Type 0 Management Occupations or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification matrix;

(b) during that period of employment they performed the actions described in the lead statement for the occupation as set out in the occupational descriptions of the National Occupational Classification; and

(c) during that period of employment they performed a substantial number of the main duties of the occupation as set out in the occupational descriptions of the National Occupational Classification, including all of the essential duties.

Minimal requirements

(3) If the foreign national fails to meet the requirements of subsection (2), the application for a permanent resident visa shall be refused and no further assessment is required.

Only after meeting the definition of skilled worker comes the next step - the eligibility to apply determination, having either arranged employment or qualifying work experience in occupation on the current list of 29.

After that come the selection factors and pass mark.

Again - read the laws, regulations, rules and everything else what you need to know on CIC website, don't ever rely on a third party crap, especially when such third party obviously contradicts the law and makes ridiculous statements.
I guess it's a money making scam....
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FelisCattus
I guess it's a money making scam....
Maybe next time you'll look into government's website for answers, although even CIC's website and every instruction or application guide on CIC website carry a very clear disclaimer:

This is not a legal document. For legal information, refer to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations or the Citizenship Act and Regulations, as applicable.

Read the CIC website, trust their info but verify all in the law and it's Regulations, pay attention to current Ministerial Instructions, all amendments to Regulations, up to date relevant chapters of Immigration Manual and Operational Bulletins to have a clearer picture.

Last edited by crazy72; Jul 17th 2010 at 10:50 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:50 pm
Animal Member

OK, slap on wrist taken and noted

Thank you for clearing that up.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Slapping your wrist wasn't my intention.