Contract Working

Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

u952460 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Contract Working

Hi

If I were to enter Canada as a visitor and be granted a 6 month stay and looked for work within this time, for contract work I would still need a work permit right? or does this just apply to permenant roles?

My situation is that I my girlfriend lives in Canada, she is Canadian I am English. We have been doing a long distance relationship for a year and a half. I am planning on moving out to Canada all being well in September. In a recent visit I met with a few recruiters and they were hopeful of placing me, the best route being to be sponsored buy an employer. If this doesn't materialise then what are my options??
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contract Working

Originally Posted by u952460
Hi

If I were to enter Canada as a visitor and be granted a 6 month stay and looked for work within this time, for contract work I would still need a work permit right? or does this just apply to permenant roles?

My situation is that I my girlfriend lives in Canada, she is Canadian I am English. We have been doing a long distance relationship for a year and a half. I am planning on moving out to Canada all being well in September. In a recent visit I met with a few recruiters and they were hopeful of placing me, the best route being to be sponsored buy an employer. If this doesn't materialise then what are my options??
Hi and welcome to the forum,

You are right that any job would require a work permit, regardless of whether it was full-time, part-time, contract, etc.

Out of interest, what is your occupation? I'm intrigued that the recruiters you have met are hopeful of placing you despite the recession, which seems to be the opposite from what most people on here are being told. Given that any employer has to prove they've advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job - with no shortage of Canadians looking for work - to get the LMO, I'm guessing you must be in a occupation in demand for them to be that confident. So I'm wondering if there might be another route open to you.

Also, sorry for the personal question, but how old are you? It's just that if you're under 30 then there is definitely another way to get there for a year.

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:50 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

What do you mean by "contract work"? Do you mean you would be self-employed and provide services to customers under contract? E.g. an IT contractor?

If you are going to be self-employed and do contract work for Canadian companies then yes, you do need a work permit. Getting a work permit for self-employment can be a challenge (there is a requirement to prove "significant benefit etc" but it is not impossible.

If you were going to be a contractor to UK companies but work remotely in Canada then there are some situations where you would not need a work permit. Provided you werent supplying Canadian companies, being paid into a Canadian bank account etc it is possible that you would not be "entering the Canadian Labour market".
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

u952460 is an unknown quantity at this point

By contract work I mean temping, working towards being taken on perm somewhere.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 5:24 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

By contract work I mean temping, working towards being taken on perm somewhere.
In which case I expect you would be employed by a temp agency or similar - no question therefore that you would need a work permit.