Consultants?

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Consultants?

Originally Posted by NSpaul
On the subject of fees everyone has the right to choose a consultant who's rate they feel is reasonable and good value. Or better still dont use a consultant at all (do your own application) in which case you dont pay anything.

BUT - to anyone who is seriously concerned about paying what appears to be the going rate on grounds of affordability I would say think long and hard about what the cost of immigrating will be. Prepare a budget. If you are planning to move your whole family (with kids) and all you furniture/belongings to Canada, sell your house in the UK and buy again in Canada, spend a period out of work while you look for a job, pay visa fees, shipping costs, flights hotel and car rental for the move and a couple of reccie visits then you could be looking at a total cost of anything upto $100k. It really adds up! The $3k or more fee to a consultant is probably a drop in the ocean. I'm not saying it has to amount to that much but you really need to prepare a budget and know what the costs are. Things like:

Estate agent and solicitors fees to sell your UK house
Lawyers fees and other charges to buy a house in Canada
Mortage redemption penalty (if applicable)
Deed transfer tax (depending on the province) for buying a house
Flights
Car rental
Hotels or temporary accommodation
Visa and right of landing fees
Removals and Shipping costs
Insurance for your shipment (usually extra to the shipping charge)
Customs charges (if you are unlucky and get your container searched)
Living expenses while you find a job

I'm not saying it isnt all worth it - it is - but its expensive.
Also on the subject of budgets...(just a quickie as it should probably be in a different thread...) - I hadn't realised (until the other day) that if we can't sell our UK house in time (i.e. if we get a job offer and have to get out to Canada quickly) and decided to rent it out until we can come back to sell it, that our rental income would be taxable as ''worldwide income'' (thanks to the guys at uk2novascotia for making me aware of that).
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:20 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Consultants?

Hi

Originally Posted by seanyg
Also on the subject of budgets...(just a quickie as it should probably be in a different thread...) - I hadn't realised (until the other day) that if we can't sell our UK house in time (i.e. if we get a job offer and have to get out to Canada quickly) and decided to rent it out until we can come back to sell it, that our rental income would be taxable as ''worldwide income'' (thanks to the guys at uk2novascotia for making me aware of that).
But don't forget that the mortgage payments, rates, repairs, agent are a deduction. If that comes to pass that you are renting, hire a tax expert to do your taxes.