Conjugal Sponsorship

Old Oct 3rd 2014, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

twist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Conjugal Sponsorship

Hi everyone,

I have a question I'm hoping someone can help with. I am coming to the end of my final IEC Visa and I am about to submit a PNP application.

I am planning ahead in case the application is refused for whatever reason. Basically my back-up option is that my Canadian girlfriend would sponsor me via the conjugal scheme however I have a couple of questions about this.

1. By the time my IEC runs out we would have been together for 10 months, at this point we are not living together because I am worried that if I have to leave Canada for a while she will then have given up a great apartment which she shares with her friend, and may have to hold down the lease on her own for the sake of us being able to live together for only 5 months. (as it stands I pretty much live with her now anyway, just not officially) would that invalidate our application because we could have potentially lived together during that period?

2. The processing time for the UK is 11 months for this visa, would I have to remain in the UK for that period of time?
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 8:15 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Conjugal Sponsorship

I am not an expert on this and hopefully someone who is will confirm, but:

1a) The conjugal scheme is for couples who cannot, by law, live together. Maybe they are same sex couples who are in a country where homosexuality is illegal. Something like this.

1b) As the above does not apply to you marriage, or living together as a married couple for a minimum of 12 months, is your only alternative.

2) No, you can apply to change your status to a visitor and stay in Canada. However, you cannot work once your IEC runs out.

Let's hope the PNP application is successful.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 8:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Conjugal Sponsorship

What he said. ^^^^^^

You are free to marry or live together anytime you choose, so conjugal isn't relevant to your situation.

HTH.