Conjual Partner?

Old Jun 28th 2008, 5:52 am
Vanessa & Glyn

Location: Slough, Berkshire....Soon to be back in Halifax, NS (Born n raised Cape Bretoner!!!)
nessamj has a spectacular aura aboutnessamj has a spectacular aura aboutnessamj has a spectacular aura about
Default Conjual Partner?

Hello,

my partner and I have been together for over a year now and are very serious about our relationship. He lives in the Lake District and I live in Berkshire. We visit each other every 2-3 weeks but due to my work permit, i could not move up there or i'd have to leave the country. He has been applying for jobs regularly for down south but has had no luck.

Would our situation qualify as an "immigration issue" that prevents us from being together by CIC for sponsorship?

Thanx
Vanessa
Old Jun 28th 2008, 5:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Conjual Partner?

Originally Posted by nessamj
Hello,

my partner and I have been together for over a year now and are very serious about our relationship. He lives in the Lake District and I live in Berkshire. We visit each other every 2-3 weeks but due to my work permit, i could not move up there or i'd have to leave the country. He has been applying for jobs regularly for down south but has had no luck.

Would our situation qualify as an "immigration issue" that prevents us from being together by CIC for sponsorship?

Thanx
Vanessa
Can you just clarify - are either of you Canadian? You mention 'sponsorship' so not sure?

If not, then how are you planning on going to Canada i.e. via which visa route?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 28th 2008 at 6:02 am.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 6:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought this may help from the CIC website, about common law partnership, as it will apply no matter which route you are taking. Doesn't sound as though you could apply under 'conjugal partners' though I'm afraid but hope it helps:

This category is for partners—either of the opposite sex or same sex—in exceptional circumstances beyond their control that prevent them from qualifying as common-law partners or spouses by living together.

A conjugal relationship is more than a physical relationship. It means you depend on each other, there is some permanence to the relationship and there is the same level of commitment as a marriage or a common-law relationship.

You may apply as a conjugal partner if:

you have maintained a conjugal relationship with your sponsor for at least one year and you have been prevented from living together or marrying because of:
an immigration barrier
your marital status (for example, you are married to someone else and living in a country where divorce is not possible) or
your sexual orientation (for example, you are in a same-sex relationship and same-sex marriage is not permitted where you live)
you can provide evidence there was a reason you could not live together (for example, you were refused long-term stays in each other’s country).
You should not apply as a conjugal partner if:

You could have lived together but chose not to. This shows that you did not have the level of commitment required for a conjugal relationship. (For example, one of you may not have wanted to give up a job or a course of study, or your relationship was not yet at the point where you were ready to live together.)
You cannot provide evidence there was a reason that kept you from living together.
You are engaged to be married. In this case, you should either apply as a spouse once the marriage has taken place or apply as a common-law partner if you have lived together continuously for at least 12 months.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 6:20 pm
Vanessa & Glyn

Location: Slough, Berkshire....Soon to be back in Halifax, NS (Born n raised Cape Bretoner!!!)
nessamj has a spectacular aura aboutnessamj has a spectacular aura aboutnessamj has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Can you just clarify - are either of you Canadian? You mention 'sponsorship' so not sure?

If not, then how are you planning on going to Canada i.e. via which visa route?
Hello!

I am canadian, he's british! and we have all the emails/rejection letters from him applying for jobs so we could be together, but he's n ot been successful.

Cheers
V
Old Jun 28th 2008, 6:53 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nessamj
Hello!

I am canadian, he's british! and we have all the emails/rejection letters from him applying for jobs so we could be together, but he's n ot been successful.

Cheers
V
Citizenship and Immigration Canada's definition of a conjugal partner is a person who would have married another person or who would have lived with that other person in a committed relationship but who has not been able to do so because of insurmountable obstacles. Some examples include:
  • being married to someone else and being unable to divorce them because the country in which the person lives does not recognize divorce

• being homosexual in a country in which homosexuality is illegal

• not being allowed into another country for political reasons
Not being able to get a job isn't one of the criteria on their list. They expect you to be willing to starve for love. And I'm not being facetious. Those are the facts.
x
Old Jun 28th 2008, 7:00 pm
Vanessa & Glyn

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Citizenship and Immigration Canada's definition of a conjugal partner is a person who would have married another person or who would have lived with that other person in a committed relationship but who has not been able to do so because of insurmountable obstacles. Some examples include:
  • being married to someone else and being unable to divorce them because the country in which the person lives does not recognize divorce

• being homosexual in a country in which homosexuality is illegal

• not being allowed into another country for political reasons
Not being able to get a job isn't one of the criteria on their list. They expect you to be willing to starve for love. And I'm not being facetious. Those are the facts.
x

arrghhhh! WHM visa it is!

THanks!!!!!