Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Confusion around Certificate of Qualification (NOC7271)

Confusion around Certificate of Qualification (NOC7271)

Old Jan 24th 2020, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

Richnzj19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confusion around Certificate of Qualification (NOC7271)

Hi! Been searching across all sites and still not clear. I'm a fully qualified carpenter from New Zealand with 15+ years
experience. Have been living in the UK for the past 5 years, self employed as a carpenter and roofer, qualifications were recognised as NVQ Level III.
Looking at BC as an option to immigrate, thereforeI reached out to ITA and they advised to challenge. Once I challenge, will I receive a Certificate of Qualification or do I still need to sit an exam? I don't think I need Red Seal but do they mean Red Seal exam when they talk about the exam? Once I have challenged, can I then select "yes" for Certificate in the eligibility tool? My understanding is that unless I am eligible through the tool and receive a number, I wont be able to create a profile. Apologies for the lengthy post but somewhat confused. Thanks for your help and for running this forum!
Old Jan 25th 2020, 5:23 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusion around Certificate of Qualification (NOC7271)

Originally Posted by Richnzj19
Hi! Been searching across all sites and still not clear. I'm a fully qualified carpenter from New Zealand with 15+ years
experience. Have been living in the UK for the past 5 years, self employed as a carpenter and roofer, qualifications were recognised as NVQ Level III.
Looking at BC as an option to immigrate, thereforeI reached out to ITA and they advised to challenge. Once I challenge, will I receive a Certificate of Qualification or do I still need to sit an exam? I don't think I need Red Seal but do they mean Red Seal exam when they talk about the exam? Once I have challenged, can I then select "yes" for Certificate in the eligibility tool? My understanding is that unless I am eligible through the tool and receive a number, I wont be able to create a profile. Apologies for the lengthy post but somewhat confused. Thanks for your help and for running this forum!
You challenge based on the hours of verifiable, certified experience that you have.. a carpenter friend of my son went to live in BC and had obtained his CoQ without any difficulty and I don't recall him having to sit any exam as a Carpenter. Red Seal is an endorsement placed on the CoQ and is only needed if it's your intention to work in other Provinces. You can read more on BC's website - If you look at the page for Carpenter - under "Challenge Certification/ recognition of prior experience" - you can read the instructions on how to apply and the forms you will need. https://www.itabc.ca/program/carpenter

I presume your intention is to apply under Express Entry (Trades) - and as such yes you will need either a Certificate of Qualification (CoQ) or a qualifying job offer in order to apply.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ed-trades.html

I'd suggest using the CRS tool to see how many points you might have with a C o Q or whether you might need a job offer to get an invite from the Express Entry Pool - Trades have a lower points requirement https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr...d/crs-tool.asp
Post back and let us know if you have any further questions
Old Jan 25th 2020, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Richnzj19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Confusion around Certificate of Qualification (NOC7271)

Thank you! Score currently only 227, awaiting IELTS results but dont think it will increase by much. Was hoping to try through the RNIP in Vernon, we had narrowed down to this area even before coming across the pilot. Visiting in April, so maybe we get lucky and I find a job. Might need to be flexible on the area, though, if chances are better in another province!