Confused, very confused

Old Nov 3rd 2013, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

TeamW is a glorious beacon of lightTeamW is a glorious beacon of lightTeamW is a glorious beacon of lightTeamW is a glorious beacon of lightTeamW is a glorious beacon of lightTeamW is a glorious beacon of lightTeamW is a glorious beacon of lightTeamW is a glorious beacon of lightTeamW is a glorious beacon of lightTeamW is a glorious beacon of lightTeamW is a glorious beacon of light
Default Confused, very confused

Hi there, just wondered if anyone could help me with this one...

My husband (British) has got a job offer in Canada and the company (through an immigration firm) is sorting out his LMO. He is in category B of the skilled workers list. He was advised that he could take his LMO and get his work permit at the airport (port of entry).

We want to travel together. I've got a Brazilian passport and both our kids have a british one like my husband. I know that, being Brazilian, I need to get a 'tourist visa' to get to Canada and we thought we could all travel together and get our visas at the airport (my husbands work permit, my daughter's student permit and an 'open work permit' for me, if they give me one). However, I sent an email to the Canadian consulate in London and they say we need all to get our visas before we travel.... ?

I'm very confused because I know of Brazilian people who got student permits at the port of entry, etc, so not sure why they said I cannot. What about my kids who are british? Did you have to get your kids' visas before travelling as well?
Old Nov 4th 2013, 12:31 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused, very confused

Originally Posted by TeamW
Hi there, just wondered if anyone could help me with this one...

My husband (British) has got a job offer in Canada and the company (through an immigration firm) is sorting out his LMO. He is in category B of the skilled workers list. He was advised that he could take his LMO and get his work permit at the airport (port of entry).

We want to travel together. I've got a Brazilian passport and both our kids have a british one like my husband. I know that, being Brazilian, I need to get a 'tourist visa' to get to Canada and we thought we could all travel together and get our visas at the airport (my husbands work permit, my daughter's student permit and an 'open work permit' for me, if they give me one). However, I sent an email to the Canadian consulate in London and they say we need all to get our visas before we travel.... ?

I'm very confused because I know of Brazilian people who got student permits at the port of entry, etc, so not sure why they said I cannot. What about my kids who are british? Did you have to get your kids' visas before travelling as well?
What job will your Husband be doing in Canada? CIC generally advise that you should apply for your permits before flying into Canada - though obviously lots of people obtain them at the point of entry.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

CBSA don't issue visas at Ports of Entry. CIC need to issue the visa before you travel as well as the TWP as you are not eligible to apply at the POE for a work permit.

Section 5.23 of this manual page 45

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...w/fw01-eng.pdf
Old Nov 4th 2013, 2:27 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
CBSA don't issue visas at Ports of Entry. CIC need to issue the visa before you travel as well as the TWP as you are not eligible to apply at the POE for a work permit.

Section 5.23 of this manual page 45

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...w/fw01-eng.pdf
I guess her confusion is why CIC are saying that ALL family members need to apply for a visa before travel - as she is the only one who requires a visa for entry. The others do not - so why are CIC saying they do?
Old Nov 4th 2013, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I guess her confusion is why CIC are saying that ALL family members need to apply for a visa before travel - as she is the only one who requires a visa for entry. The others do not - so why are CIC saying they do?
Sort of like asking how do they get the caramel into the Caramilk bar when it comes to CIC some days
As long as CIC sees he is a UK citizen and has been issued with the LMO showing skill level B and the kids hold UK passports then yes they could be issued their documents at the POE. Other than that I have no idea. Perhaps its because they won't issue the SOWP before he actually gets his work permit as the LMO is no guarantee that a work permit will be issued on entry.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 10:25 am
Just Joined

TeamW is a glorious beacon of lightTeamW is a glorious beacon of lightTeamW is a glorious beacon of lightTeamW is a glorious beacon of lightTeamW is a glorious beacon of lightTeamW is a glorious beacon of lightTeamW is a glorious beacon of lightTeamW is a glorious beacon of lightTeamW is a glorious beacon of lightTeamW is a glorious beacon of lightTeamW is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the replies. I'm just concerned about how long it will take if we have to get the visas before we go. We just wanna go as soon as we can. Perhaps I should just apply for tourist visa, go as a dependant and hopefully get my husbands and kids visas at the POE? And maybe apply for SOWP when already in Canada?