Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

confused - temp work permit help/advice from N Ireland (UK) to Canada (BC) needed

confused - temp work permit help/advice from N Ireland (UK) to Canada (BC) needed

Old Jul 10th 2012, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

judithc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default confused - temp work permit help/advice from N Ireland (UK) to Canada (BC) needed

Hi, I'm new to the forum and would be really grateful for any help and advice. My fiance is 40 and a truck driver (also has a lot of construction experience), I'm 39 currently a support worker but with lots of hospitality/catering experience. We've done a lot of research and think our best option is to go for a temp work permit (in BC)then apply through the semi-skilled PNP (in truck driving for him and hospitality/catering for me). A lot of the information is pretty confusing so could anyone answer any of the following questions -
- we have dual citizenship (British and Irish) - would it be better to apply under one or the other?
- how does a job qualify as LMO? Are the companies registered, or is it decided on each individual position?eg truck driving - would this automatically qualify (as it's one of the sem-skilled occupations for BC's PNP), or does the company have to prove that the job can't be taken by a Canadian citizen? Is there any way of knowing if a job will get positive LMO before applying for it?
- Is there a list of employers we could access who are willing to/have experience of hiring immigrants?
- to gain a temporary work permit, would we have to undergo a police check and/or medical? Is the process fairly straightforward once we have a job offer?
- would my fiance have to resit his truck license test? Is an ADR certificate from the UK valid in BC or would he have to resit that too? Can a regular UK car/bike license be swapped for a BC license?
- I have a second cousin who lives in BC. Is there any kind of family sponsorship that may be an option?
Sorry this is so long, thank you all for reading and for any help you can give. Judith

Last edited by judithc; Jul 10th 2012 at 12:40 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 1:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: confused - temp work permit help/advice from N Ireland (UK) to Canada (BC) neede

Hi Judith, and welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by judithc
- we have dual citizenship (British and Irish) - would it be better to apply under one or the other?
It makes no difference at all.

- how does a job qualify as LMO? Are the companies registered, or is it decided on each individual position?eg truck driving - would this automatically qualify (as it's one of the sem-skilled occupations for BC's PNP), or does the company have to prove that the job can't be taken by a Canadian citizen? Is there any way of knowing if a job will get positive LMO before applying for it?
To get a LMO, the company must prove that the job has been nationally advertised, and no Canadian found that is willing/suitable. This applied even though truck drivers qualify for the semi-skilled PNP stream in BC. There is no way of knowing if a job will get a positive LMO in advance I'm afraid, other than knowing that the company has been advertising and submitted lots of evidence of that plus info on who applied and why they weren't suitable.

- - Is there a list of employers we could access who are willing to/have experience of hiring immigrants?
Nope, afraid not, there's no list like that. It would be worth asking in the trucking forum for info on any companies that may be hiring in BC, although I have to say that I've not heard of any truck drivers going to BC recently, it only seems to be companies in other provinces i.e. Manitoba that are hiring on TWP's. Does it have to be BC?

- to gain a temporary work permit, would we have to undergo a police check and/or medical? Is the process fairly straightforward once we have a job offer?
You are unlikely to require a medical for your jobs, they're only required for those working in certain occupations i.e. public health. Police check is likely though, although that's easy enough to get and only takes a couple of weeks.
- we have dual citizenship (British and Irish) - would it be better to apply - would my fiance have to resit his truck license test? Is an ADR certificate from the UK valid in BC or would he have to resit that too? Can a regular UK car/bike license be swapped for a BC license?
Sorry, not a clue about the trucking test (another question for the trucking section of the forum), but yes, you can swap a UK car licence for a BC one - info in the Wiki.

- I have a second cousin who lives in BC. Is there any kind of family sponsorship that may be an option?
There is family sponsorship, but a second cousin wouldn't be able to sponsor you I'm afraid.

HTH a bit, best of luck.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Default Re: confused - temp work permit help/advice from N Ireland (UK) to Canada (BC) neede

Thanks so much for that, it's really helpful. We are looking at BC because there is a semi-skilled element to their PNP program, there is also one in Saskatchwan and we would be quite happy to move there as well. appreciate your help, Judith
Old Jul 24th 2012, 11:38 am
Just Joined

On the same subject.....my fiance has been able to find quite a bit of infoamtion on the trucking forum, however I'm struggling to find info on employers in the hotel and catering industry. I'm looking in BC or Saskatchwan as they have h&c in their semi-skillled PNP. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could find an immigrant-friendly employer? Ideally I would like bar/restaurant management, but would consider pretty much anything. I have quite a bit of experience. Thanks a lot.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 2:26 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Foreign truck drivers have to take a test to get a class 1 license, plus an air brake test.

No idea how you would find 'immigrant friendly' employers. Is there such as being?