Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Confused - Provincial Nominee Program

Confused - Provincial Nominee Program

Old Nov 4th 2004, 10:00 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Howick
Posts: 44
Brummie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confused - Provincial Nominee Program

Scenario - If I'm offered a job in Canada and apply for residency through the PNP, do you get an automatic work permit to start your job asap or do you have to wait here in the UK for the PR visa to be issued?

Just wondering how many employers will be prepared to wait upto 9 months before I could even get over to Canada - not many, if any I think.

Maybe I'm being stupid and haven't read things clearly, but surely no employer with a vacant position that needs filling urgently is going to wait for the immigration process.

BTW I'm a Graphic Designer in the Ad industry, so jobs come and go very quick, just as they do over here.

Cheers
Paul
Brummie is offline  
Old Nov 4th 2004, 2:33 pm
  #2  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Confused - Provincial Nominee Program

No, you don't get any "automatic" work permit when getting PNP certificate and applying for PR. If you want work permit then you must apply for it separately with properly validated job offer.


Originally Posted by Brummie
Scenario - If I'm offered a job in Canada and apply for residency through the PNP, do you get an automatic work permit to start your job asap or do you have to wait here in the UK for the PR visa to be issued?

Just wondering how many employers will be prepared to wait upto 9 months before I could even get over to Canada - not many, if any I think.

Maybe I'm being stupid and haven't read things clearly, but surely no employer with a vacant position that needs filling urgently is going to wait for the immigration process.

BTW I'm a Graphic Designer in the Ad industry, so jobs come and go very quick, just as they do over here.

Cheers
Paul
Andrew Miller is offline  
Old Nov 4th 2004, 6:24 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 53
spas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Confused - Provincial Nominee Program

Some PNP Programs, like the one of BC, allows you to apply for a work permit without HRDC validation. The work permit is usually issued for a year. The idea is that you can work until your PR application is completed.

spas
spas is offline  
Old Nov 4th 2004, 9:43 pm
  #4  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Confused - Provincial Nominee Program

Yes, but one still needs to apply for work permit, there is nothing "automatic".

Recently amended chapter FW1 of Immigration Manual in section 5.27 (at the end of section in part starting with R204(c)) deals with the process of issuing work permits to PNP nominees. It states that it applies not only to BC and Manitoba (which have already amended their agreements with feds) but to all Provinces with PNP agreements in place (amended or not).


Originally Posted by spas
Some PNP Programs, like the one of BC, allows you to apply for a work permit without HRDC validation. The work permit is usually issued for a year. The idea is that you can work until your PR application is completed.

spas
Andrew Miller is offline  
Old Nov 4th 2004, 11:38 pm
  #5  
swoops
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Fall River, NS
Posts: 322
swoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to all
Default Re: Confused - Provincial Nominee Program

Hi Andrew
When you apply for a work permit with the correct paper work how long do you normally have to wait.
thanks steve
Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Yes, but one still needs to apply for work permit, there is nothing "automatic".

Recently amended chapter FW1 of Immigration Manual in section 5.27 (at the end of section in part starting with R204(c)) deals with the process of issuing work permits to PNP nominees. It states that it applies not only to BC and Manitoba (which have already amended their agreements with feds) but to all Provinces with PNP agreements in place (amended or not).
swoops is offline  
Old Nov 5th 2004, 12:42 am
  #6  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Confused - Provincial Nominee Program

Depends from visa post and the job itself - it may be the matter of days, weeks or months (especially if medicals are needed).

Originally Posted by swoops
Hi Andrew
When you apply for a work permit with the correct paper work how long do you normally have to wait.
thanks steve
Andrew Miller is offline  
Old Nov 5th 2004, 12:53 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Howick
Posts: 44
Brummie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Confused - Provincial Nominee Program

Thanks Andrew,

So the quickest way into Canada then is to get a job offer with work permit whilst your PNP or Skilled Worker PR application is ongoing?
Brummie is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.