Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Confused about what qualifications I need assessed (ECA)

Confused about what qualifications I need assessed (ECA)

Old Sep 13th 2016, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Gorbzilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Confused about what qualifications I need assessed (ECA)

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
39 points for age on the CRS if he's 42.

I do agree though that he can't be scoring enough from what he's said, but perhaps there's just something he's not mentioned.
Oh sorry my mistake. If OP can get over 400 points then OINP may be a possibility, if the criteria do no change..

I know there's an unofficial tool on the web which doesn't quite calculate scores properly. @katibogar, make sure you're using the CRS Tool on the CIC website.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp
Old Sep 13th 2016, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I make it 396 on the CIC CRS calculator as follows:

Education: 135
Language: 133
Subtotal: Human/core = 296

Skill Transferability = 100

Are you absolutely sure you are putting down at least the minimum amount for the question 'How much money (in Canadian dollars) will you bring to Canada? This has to meet the minimums given by CIC here: Proof of funds – Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)
Old Sep 13th 2016, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katibogar

5 years or more work experience
Just noticed this answer. You can only answer 5 years or more for the question about skilled work experience in Canada. If you don't have skilled work experience in Canada you should be answering none to this question and then 3 years or more in the question below about how many years of skilled foreign work experience.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

katibogar is an unknown quantity at this point

PhD, or Master's, AND at least 17 years of full-time study** (total) - 25 points
English and French language ability - High-proficiency in english only - 16 points
Work Experience - 4 years and more - 21 points
age - 42 - (21 to 49 is 10 points)
Arranged employment - 0
Adaptability - Completed a Master's or Ph.D. and has at least 17 years of total education - 5 points

Total = 77
Old Sep 13th 2016, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Ok, so it looks like I only get 396 points using the right tool, should I just give up?
Old Sep 13th 2016, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much. On the proper tool I get less points sadly.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks very much. On the proper tool I get less points sadly.
With 396 it is unlikely you will be selected for EE without either a PNP or LMIA supported job.

However, you are Master's educated which is rarer in North America than Europe and so an LMIA is certainly not out of reach if you can find an employer willing to do one for you.

Have you thought about coming to Canada for a few weeks holiday and doing some job hunting?
Old Sep 13th 2016, 3:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

PhD, or Master's, AND at least 17 years of full-time study** (total) - 25 points
English and French language ability - High-proficiency in english only - 16 points
Work Experience - 4 years and more - 21 points
age - 42 - (21 to 49 is 10 points)
Arranged employment - 0
Adaptability - Completed a Master's or Ph.D. and has at least 17 years of total education - 5 points

Total = 77
Not sure where you're looking at points, but the above isn't correct - for instance, for age you'd only get 5 points. And for work experience you'd get 15 (which is the maximum), not 21.

Have a look here and try again and let us know what you score as - Six selection factors – Federal skilled workers

I agree with the above, at 396 you're not likely to get selected and will probably need a job offer or to get your points up another way, but I'm still trying to figure out why it says you're not even eligible to enter the pool at the mo! What did you put for proof of funds?
Old Sep 14th 2016, 8:56 am
Just Joined

English skills - 24

Education - University degree at the Master’s level or equal - 23
Experience - full-time paid work - 6 or more years - 15
Age - (42) - 5
Arranged employment = 0
Adaptability = 0

67 points
Old Sep 14th 2016, 1:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

English skills - 24

Education - University degree at the Master’s level or equal - 23
Experience - full-time paid work - 6 or more years - 15
Age - (42) - 5
Arranged employment = 0
Adaptability = 0

67 points
So definitely enough points, which must mean you're ineligible for some other reason. What are you putting as your amount of funds? And what are you putting when asked about the ECA?
Old Sep 14th 2016, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Funds, about 25,000 Canadian Dollars. ECA I answered no, but I'm in the process of getting my bachelor's degree and my my masters assessed. I will still only have 360 points though. I don't understand why so low with my education, good IELTS and 14 years in a good job
Old Sep 14th 2016, 4:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Ok, that'll be why it's saying you're not eligible then - the ECA is mandatory so if you say you've not got one it's an instant 'no' regardless of everything else.

Try it saying yes and hopefully it will say you're then eligible to apply.

But agreed, at 360 you're not really in with a chance of being selected. Unfortunately your age is letting you down. If you were in your twenties you'd get another 75 points or so for age.

But don't let it get you down, very few are eligible for EE without a job offer or PNP, so you're not alone in that. The points are high enough now that they're selecting the very best and those already working in Canada, but at least now you know what you need to do.

Plan a trip, job hunt and good luck!
Old Sep 14th 2016, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ok, that'll be why it's saying you're not eligible then - the ECA is mandatory so if you say you've not got one it's an instant 'no' regardless of everything else.

Try it saying yes and hopefully it will say you're then eligible to apply.

But agreed, at 360 you're not really in with a chance of being selected. Unfortunately your age is letting you down. If you were in your twenties you'd get another 75 points or so for age.

But don't let it get you down, very few are eligible for EE without a job offer or PNP, so you're not alone in that. The points are high enough now that they're selecting the very best and those already working in Canada, but at least now you know what you need to do.

Plan a trip, job hunt and good luck!

I concur. Having a masters degree does make the LMIA process more likely to succeed as it is less common here in Canada.

In writing your resume concentrate on unique skills that you have that Canadian employers would be unlikely to find in the current Canadian workforce.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for all your help, amazing forum!