Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Confused about what qualifications I need assessed (ECA)

Confused about what qualifications I need assessed (ECA)

Old Sep 9th 2016, 11:51 am
Just Joined

katibogar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confused about what qualifications I need assessed (ECA)

Hello,

I'm currently living in England and working as a Web Developer. I would like to apply for Express Entry and not sure what qualifications I need assessed. I would like to work as a Web Developer in Canada.

I have secondary school certification (baccalaureate) from Romania, A degree in Psychology also from Romania, and a masters degree in Computing from England. Do I need all 3 sent off to be assessed?

Thanks

Kati
Old Sep 9th 2016, 12:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused about what qualifications I need assessed (ECA)

Hi, you don't need to have your secondary education assessed normally, so it would be your degree and masters.

HTH.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Confused about what qualifications I need assessed (ECA)

Thank you very much!
Old Sep 9th 2016, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Could even get away with just your masters as that will earn the most points.

I don't see why you would nee the bachelors assessing for EE.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 4:28 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Could even get away with just your masters as that will earn the most points.

I don't see why you would nee the bachelors assessing for EE.
Yeah I dont understand this either as 'Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be for a program of three or more years' is for 2 degrees or a degree and a diploma
Old Sep 9th 2016, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

My degree took 4 years and my masters only 1. Sadly the masters is the only one relevant to my current career. How can I find out what I need to send off, please?
Old Sep 9th 2016, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katibogar
My degree took 4 years and my masters only 1. Sadly the masters is the only one relevant to my current career. How can I find out what I need to send off, please?
For EE you only score the points for your highest qualification. In your case this is the Masters. As such I see no point sending your Bachelors for accessing as you wont get any points for it.

he only reason to get it assessed is if employers or professional organization in Canada require an assessment of it.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 12:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I'd get both done. My reasoning for this is that CIC have been known to refuse just a Masters (as normally it should be done following a degree, but if they don't have the degree info then how do they know you've done both?). Granted, that's normally for people from 'dodgy' countries with a high fraud rate, so hopefully wouldn't apply to you, but you never know.

For a small amount of hassle, I wouldn't risk it myself, but to each their own.
Old Sep 12th 2016, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Thank you very much for all the help.
One more question, please. Why is it that when using the points calculator I exceed the 67 needed to qualify fort the EE (76 points), but when I'm actually applying for the EE under Federal Skill Worker, I get Review of Minimum Entry Criteria - Not Met.

Thanks

Kati
Old Sep 12th 2016, 1:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you very much for all the help.
One more question, please. Why is it that when using the points calculator I exceed the 67 needed to qualify fort the EE (76 points), but when I'm actually applying for the EE under Federal Skill Worker, I get Review of Minimum Entry Criteria - Not Met.

Thanks

Kati
Without knowing everything about you, it's hard to say.

Do you have the required work experience (at least one year in a skilled job)? The required funds? Language level? Etc. There are various criteria to meet to be eligible as a FSW, the points is only one of them. If you can tell us what answers you're putting in, we can try and help you figure out where it's going wrong.

Also, have you checked out your points score on the CRS? You'll need to be above approx 450-480 to be in with a chance of being invited to apply for PR, so best to check you're at that level or higher before spending money on IELTS, ECA etc.

Good luck.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Hi,

I have 14 years in a skilled job, I have the funds, good-ish IELTS score.
Marital status : divorced
Age you were on the date that your Invitation to Apply (ITA) was sent to you – not sure. 42 now.
Highest level of education for which you have obtained? – master’s degree

Official languages: IELTS listening:8.0; reading: 8.0; writing 8.5;speaking 8.5

No second official language
5 years or more work experience
Do you have a certificate of qualification from a Canadian Province or Territory – no
Do you have a valid job offer supported by a Labour Market Impact Assessment? – no
Do you have a letter of nomination from a Province or Territory? – no

Grand total = 465. But I could not enter the Express Entry pool. Got rejected. So stressed.

Do I have a chance?

Thanks

Last edited by katibogar; Sep 13th 2016 at 10:19 am.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 10:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

OK, so you say above that using the points calculator you exceed 67, but how are you working that out? If you can give a breakdown of how you think you score over 67, we can help figure it out hopefully.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 13th 2016 at 11:26 am.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 10:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

OK, I'm obviously missing something vital, as I've just done a guesstimate of your CRS score and I'm making it 236, so a long way off the 465 you're getting!

So let us know what else you've got points for, but you need to score at least 67 to even be eligible to apply under EE, once you've done that then the next step is the CRS score, and you'll need to be above approx 460 to be in with a chance of being selected once in the pool. So your 465 would be fine for that, and you should get PR at some point if that is what you're scoring.

Hopefully we can work out why it's not letting you enter and what points I'm missing.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Gorbzilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hopefully its obvious but don't do any ECA until you know what score you'll get via the tool. Given your age, you'll be scoring zero points for age unfortunately, which is a big deal. I get 465 points at 32 years of age, and my other factors are essentially the same as yours (clb 9 in ielts, masters degree, 9years work experience OUTSIDE canada) . I think you'd actually be getting more like 380ish..

FYI your degree does not need to be related to your job, just that yoir job must be skilled according to the NOC job classification.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 11:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Gorbzilla
Given your age, you'll be scoring zero points for age unfortunately, which is a big deal.
39 points for age on the CRS if he's 42.

I do agree though that he can't be scoring enough from what he's said, but perhaps there's just something he's not mentioned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.