Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Confused about PR and sponsoring a spouse

Confused about PR and sponsoring a spouse

Old Jan 10th 2012, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light
Default Confused about PR and sponsoring a spouse

Hi can anyone tell me what I need to do regarding the above? I am a Canadian Citizen and an Irish Citizen living in New Zealand (tho I have never lived in Canada as I obtained citizenship through my Canadian father) I had a look online and I am confused about it all. I want to move to Canada with my family. Do I need to get PR for my husband or do I need to sponser him? Also can I get canadian citizenship for my kids or do they need to be sponsored too?
Thanks

Last edited by irish_eyes; Jan 10th 2012 at 6:29 am. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:45 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused about PR and sponsoring a spouse

As you are a Citizen you would sponsor your husband for Permanent Residency whilst you are living in NZ but would need to have plans to return to Canada once he receives PR.

As to your children, it depends on when they were born.

You can use this http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...es/tool_04.asp to ascertain if they are Canadian Citizens or not - if they are then you need to apply for the certificates and passports, if they are not then you would need to sponsor them for PR as well.

Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
Hi can anyone tell me what I need to do regarding the above? I am a Canadian Citizen and an Irish Citizen living in New Zealand (tho I have never lived in Canada as I obtained citizenship through my Canadian father) I had a look online and I am confused about it all. I want to move to Canada with my family. Do I need to get PR for my husband or do I need to sponser him? Also can I get canadian citizenship for my kids or do they need to be sponsored too?
Thanks
Have a read of the Wiki - there is a good article in there about spousal sponsorship which should help.

Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by siouxie
As you are a Citizen you would sponsor your husband for Permanent Residency whilst you are living in NZ but would need to have plans to return to Canada once he receives PR.

As to your children, it depends on when they were born.

You can use this http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...es/tool_04.asp to ascertain if they are Canadian Citizens or not - if they are then you need to apply for the certificates and passports, if they are not then you would need to sponsor them for PR as well.

Thanks for that, 2 were born in Ireland and one here in new zealand. Will check out the link and the wiki section.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 9:38 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on what year they were born as to whether they are Canadian, not where (unless they were born in Canada) lol.

Old Jan 11th 2012, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by siouxie
It depends on what year they were born as to whether they are Canadian, not where (unless they were born in Canada) lol.

2005 Ireland
2007 Ireland
2011 New Zealand

Just waiting on a call back from embassy!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 9:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
2005 Ireland
2007 Ireland
2011 New Zealand

Just waiting on a call back from embassy!
Did you actually speak to someone then? It's highly unusual to manage that, and even less likely that anybody will call you back - but you never know!

Your best bet, if the test on the CIC website hasn't answered your question, is to consult an immigration lawyer/consultant, who will know the relevant law and be able to advise you.

Old Jan 11th 2012, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Did you actually speak to someone then? It's highly unusual to manage that, and even less likely that anybody will call you back - but you never know!

Your best bet, if the test on the CIC website hasn't answered your question, is to consult an immigration lawyer/consultant, who will know the relevant law and be able to advise you.

haha yes I actually spoke to 2 people! Wasnt able to talk to who I needed to talk to so she said they would call me back and she actually did call me back.

So the kids born in 2005 and 2007 are entitled to citizenship but the one born in 2011 has to be sponsored. Not able to do any of it in person so I need to download everything and do it all by web and post!! But at least I know where I stand. She reckons that citizenship can take up to 12 months but it can be processed quicker if we are in a hurry. Sponsorship is done through ozzie branch then on to NS so not sure how long that may take either. Thanks for your help also.