Confused about LMO process!!

Old Jul 8th 2007, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

sparky_63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confused about LMO process!!

can anybody help?

employer contacted me last week to say lmo had been approved, then emailed me a copy of pre approval document he had sent to service canada!
What does this mean and what timescale can we expect before we can get moving to Calgary?

Cheers!
Old Jul 8th 2007, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused about LMO process!!

I'm presuming you want to go asap. If you have the job offer and the LMO you can go almost straight away via a temporary work permit, this can be obtained via the Canadian embassy which could be about 12 weeks I believe.

I personally flew to Ontario and obtained the work permit at the airport, some don't like doing this as it is a long way to go to be refused. The immigration officer told me that the LMO and job offer were the important things.

Applying for PR can be done from Canada.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for replying!

Although employer says it is approved we have nothing as yet to say so. he says they will be in touch with us. Do you by any chance know who the 'they' is? What part does service canada play in this. PR applied for in July 06.

Cheers
Old Jul 8th 2007, 1:22 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Employer's job was to obtain LMO. Now it is your job to apply with job offer and positive LMO confirmation letter (faxed or emailed) for Work Permit, either at the border (if no medicals needed) or through visa post if medicals needed or if you are not in the hurry. Service Canada has nothing to do with LMO and Work Permit. Something doesn't sound right here.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

hfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant future

Your employer submitted the application for LMO to the local HRSDC-Service Canada Centre. Service Canada then did an assessment of the labour market, and issued a positive LMO confirmation (to your employer) for your job offer. A copy of your LMO was transmitted to CIC too.

Your employer/HR ('they') would need to send you a copy of the LMO confirmation (fax/email) and a detailed job offer letter. Once you have the positive LMO letter and employment documents, you then apply for the work permit.

You can find more information in this regard from the link below:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/em...s/hire-how.asp
Old Jul 8th 2007, 6:39 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Service Canada is just a portal to access various departments, programs and services of the Canadian government. You don't apply to SC for LMO - you apply to HRSDC. Just like you apply for any immigration visa or permit to CIC.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Roos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really nice

My Positive LMO has service canada on it also
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Is the pre approval we were email are LMO?
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Roos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really nice

i got both, i got a pre-approval which they had before they hired me, then they had to get a proper LMO with my name on it. i've got copies of all my paper work here with me as i'm getting ready to get my WP at POE
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

after you got your pre approval how long did you have to wait until you got your complete LMO?
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

give me 5 i'll check the dates...

9th May 06 - Interview & Job offer
10th oct 06 - LMO pre approval for 52 positions
1st nov 06 - Positive LMO (this has date on it you must be in country by)

Last edited by Roos here; Jul 8th 2007 at 10:51 pm. Reason: added dates
Old Jul 8th 2007, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much for your help. Hopefully we will hear any day then!
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

hfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Service Canada is just a portal to access various departments, programs and services of the Canadian government. You don't apply to SC for LMO - you apply to HRSDC. Just like you apply for any immigration visa or permit to CIC.
Indeed SC provides one-stop access to the services of the Canadian govt, and the LMO application is submitted to SC only (using the HRSDC fw application). The HRSDC site mentions in the hiring steps to employ foreign workers:

"Submit an HRSDC Foreign Worker Application for a labour market opinion (LMO) to the Service Canada Centre responsible for your area..........."

SC has the mandate to review employer applications to hire foreign workers.

And on the LMO itself, which is issued on Service Canada's letterhead, it says (at least, the one I got): Service Canada (SC) has issued a positive Labour Market Opinon (LMO)....

Good luck, sparky_63.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Thanks hfxns!