Wikiposts

Confused!

Old Aug 11th 2008, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

trosgal is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Confused!

Hi, Me, my husband and my 3 year old son are all wanting to move to Canada pretty soon but I'm confused with the six factors (to get points) On the education one I have a two year diploma in Early Years from college but I dont have the 14 years of study how many points would I get? I really don't understand how I get 14 years of study with a 2 year diploma. Also anyone have any advice on where to move? We're thinking of Ottawa at the minute! Any advice would be greatly appriciated!
Thanks
Old Aug 11th 2008, 11:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused!

Originally Posted by trosgal
Hi, Me, my husband and my 3 year old son are all wanting to move to Canada pretty soon but I'm confused with the six factors (to get points) On the education one I have a two year diploma in Early Years from college but I dont have the 14 years of study how many points would I get? I really don't understand how I get 14 years of study with a 2 year diploma. Also anyone have any advice on where to move? We're thinking of Ottawa at the minute! Any advice would be greatly appriciated!
Thanks
Hi and welcome!

You first step is to start reading the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page), and then you will understand much more about Canadian immigration etc.

Basically, you need to forget the 'points' route - Skilled Worker applications were recently taking between 5 and 8 years to be processed, but any received since Feb 2008 have simply been put on hold as there are changes due to be implemented later this year. It is widely anticipated that those changes will mean that any application without arranged employment will simply be rejected. And even if yours is not rejected, bear in mind the delay to processing and the current backlog of nearly 1,000,000 applications, and you can anticipate a 10 year processing time.

So, start reading the Wiki and then you'll understand your other options for immigration. What do you and your husband do? That might help people give you an idea of your chances. It might also be worth reading about the various areas of Canada to see if you fancy anywhere else (although your location choice is likely to dictated by where you can find work so you may not get that much say in it!). Ottawa is supposedly lovely though, unfortunately my husband's French isn't good enough for him to work there so it's somewhere we couldn't consider.

Anyway, make a cuppa and get reading! Best of luck.