Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Confirmation of receiving citizenship application

Confirmation of receiving citizenship application

Old Jan 17th 2013, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future
Default Confirmation of receiving citizenship application

Hi

Our citizenship application was sent in November and I checked with Canada Post as sent registered delivery and it was received in Sydney, NS on Nov 22 2012.

Should we have received a confirmation from CIC about this? Thought there may have been a delay due to Christmas but it was been nearly 2 months now.

Please advise.

Many thanks

Lucy
Old Jan 17th 2013, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confirmation of receiving citizenship application

Sent mine in Jan 2011 registered mail. Had an acknowledgement in may 2011.
2 months is nothing.

You can study the test book on line if you want but you might forget it all by the time you are called for your test.

Hth
Old Jan 17th 2013, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future

Thanks for sharing your timeline. Not going to do any study yet (have actually taught Canadian citizenship as ESL teacher so hope will pass the test!)

Just thought the AOR was pretty quick but should have thought better of it where CIC is concerned!!!
Old Jan 17th 2013, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Out of interest, how much notice is usually given when one is called to take the test?

Wayne.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Waggle
Out of interest, how much notice is usually given when one is called to take the test?
I got about two weeks. Others have said they got a couple of days. A lot will depend on the vagaries of Canada Post, as I've had mail take a month to go 200 miles.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 2:05 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucycrow
Hi

Our citizenship application was sent in November and I checked with Canada Post as sent registered delivery and it was received in Sydney, NS on Nov 22 2012.

Should we have received a confirmation from CIC about this? Thought there may have been a delay due to Christmas but it was been nearly 2 months now.

Please advise.

Many thanks

Lucy
Now, I was about to say they don't send you a letter acknowledging receipt, but looking at my eCas info it does sate:
"We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on August 8, 2011. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us."

Though that is tosh. I had to contact them as I had not got the guide, they told me they should have sent it out, but nothing turned up (it did after I phoned and asked)

As for dates, here's my timeline:
Application sent: 3rd August 2011
Application received at Sydney: 8th August 2011
Application started processing: 1st February 2012
Notice to attend to take citizenship test: 15th June 2012 (I believe this arrived two weeks before the date mentioned)
Notice to appear to take Oath of Citizenship: 19th July 2012 (Again, about two weeks before the date mentioned)

I have heard some people say that they have taken the test, their paper graded, they have been told they have passed and they go to the Oath ceremony on the same day.

Last edited by sharkus; Jan 19th 2013 at 2:12 am.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Rrunner has a brilliant futureRrunner has a brilliant futureRrunner has a brilliant futureRrunner has a brilliant futureRrunner has a brilliant futureRrunner has a brilliant future

I had a similar timeline; two weeks notice to take the test, though online, had I checked I would have had three weeks notice.
I have a 2-4 month wait to hear the result.

Process so far has been 10 months since the application was sent in which seems fast compared to some I know of who are up to two years.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Rrunner has a brilliant futureRrunner has a brilliant futureRrunner has a brilliant futureRrunner has a brilliant futureRrunner has a brilliant futureRrunner has a brilliant future

Sharks, which office did you take the test at?
I am going through Scarborough.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 1:55 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rrunner
Sharks, which office did you take the test at?
I am going through Scarborough.
Sorry bit slow, only just saw this. Took test in Hamilton office. Also oath was in the same office.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

So the two to four months was more like 3.5 weeks to hear back from them about the result of the test.
I am to take the oath on Family Day!
Old Feb 6th 2013, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Actually two weeks if I had looked online....
Old Feb 8th 2013, 11:33 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

Excellent, congratulations
Old Feb 9th 2013, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks!