Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Confirmation of Permanent Residence Letter - Proceeding to Port of Entry

Confirmation of Permanent Residence Letter - Proceeding to Port of Entry

Old Jul 12th 2013, 10:13 am
Just Joined

superd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confirmation of Permanent Residence Letter - Proceeding to Port of Entry

I just received my confirmation of permanent residence letter!

I already reside in Canada (Edmonton) and instructions with the CPR state I have to proceed to a Canadian Port of Entry to obtain my PR status.

Question... can I just drive down to the border, explain what I'm doing, pay visa waiver, cross, turn around and come back immediately to finalize the PR documents? Or will they kick up a fuzz?

I'd like to head down this weekend.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confirmation of Permanent Residence Letter - Proceeding to Port of Entry

Originally Posted by superd
I just received my confirmation of permanent residence letter!

I already reside in Canada (Edmonton) and instructions with the CPR state I have to proceed to a Canadian Port of Entry to obtain my PR status.

Question... can I just drive down to the border, explain what I'm doing, pay visa waiver, cross, turn around and come back immediately to finalize the PR documents? Or will they kick up a fuzz?

I'd like to head down this weekend.
Im assuming you have 2 x copies of the COPR document one which has the photo on it. If thats the case then Yes you can drive down to get it done.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Confirmation of Permanent Residence Letter - Proceeding to Port of Entry

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Im assuming you have 2 x copies of the COPR document one which has the photo on it. If thats the case then Yes you can drive down to get it done.
Yes, I have two copies, one with a photo.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware though, if you inform the US Border guards that the only reason you're going to the US is to get your Canadian PR, they will refuse you entry and this will permanently be recorded on your file, so you may want to do some shopping in the US and get PR on the way back as a secondary purpose for your visit.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Be aware though, if you inform the US Border guards that the only reason you're going to the US is to get your Canadian PR, they will refuse you entry and this will permanently be recorded on your file, so you may want to do some shopping in the US and get PR on the way back as a secondary purpose for your visit.
Thanks for the heads up. I was very curious about this. I might have to make a small vacation out of it then; crossing the border all the way from Edmonton for a few hours of shopping probably wouldn't add up in their eyes.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

vinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond repute

Edmonton Airport's an official Port-of-Entry, so can't you just nip down to YEG and do the paperwork there? (Explain that you're acting environmentally responsibly by saving emitting any more CO2 than necessary, by not driving all the way to the US border and back?)

My journey towards Canadian PR via PNP (with no immigration lawyer having been retained at any stage):
TWP#1 (09/2010, for 1yr).
TWP#2 (10/2011, for 1yr).
TWP#3 (10/2012, for 2yrs, having ticked 'Temporary With Intent To Permanent' on LMO application).
AINP (11/2012; approx. 3wks to be processed and approved following one query back from Edmonton).
PR application sent to CIO, Sydney, NS (01/2013).
Receipt acknowledged by CIO and simultaneously by CIC/CPPO (02/2013).
U.K. Police Report forwarded to CIC/CPPO (02/2013).
Medical requested by CIC/CPPO (02/2013).
Medical done in Seattle (03/2013).
Medical results acknowledged on the eCAS system (05/2013).
RPRF requested by CIC/CPPO and paid same day (06/2013)...
Old Jul 12th 2013, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by vinegarboy
Edmonton Airport's an official Port-of-Entry, so can't you just nip down to YEG and do the paperwork there? (Explain that you're acting environmentally responsibly by saving emitting any more CO2 than necessary, by not driving all the way to the US border and back?)
If only! Unfortunately one must leave and re-enter Canada. I think a cheap get-a-way is in order!
Old Jul 12th 2013, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

mikey_c_9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
At the peace arch (Vancouver) POE - you can turn back just after the USA flag, before even speaking to a US official.

Last time we flag-poled we did this. Is that not the case at all POE's?
Old Jul 12th 2013, 1:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You also have the option to make an appointment at your local CIC office.

CIC’s Call Centre at 1 888 242-2100 to arrange an appointment with the Citizenship and Immigration office nearest to your place of residence

Old Jul 12th 2013, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by siouxie
You also have the option to make an appointment at your local CIC office.

CIC’s Call Centre at 1 888 242-2100 to arrange an appointment with the Citizenship and Immigration office nearest to your place of residence

Thanks. I'll give them a call Monday morning... I've read the waiting times for appointments are long, but it may be worth it to save $xxx on a weekend trip.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey_c_9
At the peace arch (Vancouver) POE - you can turn back just after the USA flag, before even speaking to a US official.

Last time we flag-poled we did this. Is that not the case at all POE's?
It's not at all of them, but now you mention it I have noticed the "emergency back to Canada" U-Turn at the peace arch before (you can see it on Google maps here: https://maps.google.ca/?ll=49.001017...02073&t=h&z=19). I've not seen it any of the other crossings - the truck crossing for example doesn't have that option.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 11:17 am
Just Joined

From what I could see on Google Maps, between BC and Alberta, the only two boarders with a turn-around-lane are the Peace Arch and Kingsgate.

I called the CIC Call Center to set-up a local appointment and it's an eight week wait. The chap I talked to seemed to encourage flagpoling and had never heard of any problems doing so.

Anyway, I'm off on a short weekend vacation to Coeur d'Alene in two weeks.

Thanks for the response everyone.

Last edited by superd; Jul 16th 2013 at 11:46 am.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 8:22 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I might be incorrect on this, so someone please feel free to jump in if I'm incorrect, but I believe that you can go down to the border, tell the US border guards what you're up to, and what they will do is give you an "administrative refusal". It's not a black mark, it's not like saying "I was refused entry to the US", all it means is that you officially left Canada but did not enter the US (basically stayed in no-man's-land - a la Edward Snowden), then re-entered Canada for the purposes of activating your PR. Border guards will distinguish between "Administrative refusal" and a regular "Refused entry".
Old Jul 16th 2013, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

paulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nicepaulhothersall is just really nice

When I had to get an update on my TWP a year ago, I drove to the pacific truck crossing in Vancouver, parked up at the customs broker and just walked over to the Canada immigration building.

No leaving Canada needed, or even queuing to het to the point you can turn around.

The border guy was actually quite happy we were not wasting US and then another guy in the Canadian booth on the way back time
Old Jul 17th 2013, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulhothersall
When I had to get an update on my TWP a year ago, I drove to the pacific truck crossing in Vancouver, parked up at the customs broker and just walked over to the Canada immigration building.

No leaving Canada needed, or even queuing to het to the point you can turn around.

The border guy was actually quite happy we were not wasting US and then another guy in the Canadian booth on the way back time
You got lucky then. Technically you are supposed to leave Canada and seek re-entry by coming back in the usual way by being examined on the Primary Inspection Line. Its not something I advocate others to try lest they get told to actually cross into the USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.