Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Confirmation of being eligible to apply for PR?

Confirmation of being eligible to apply for PR?

Old May 4th 2009, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future
Default Confirmation of being eligible to apply for PR?

Hi there

Not sure if anyone can advise on this one.

Just arrived in Toronto on BUNAC 12 months visa and looking into being eligible for the Ontario Health INsurance Programme (OHIP). My husband is because he has got a job for the next 12 months but I can't be seen as his eligible OHIP spouse as have my own BUNAC visa which is not linked to his.

To be eligible for OHIP, you can be applying for PR but you need to be approved and have a letter saying so (you don't need to have had your medical). We applied with myself as the main applicant in feb and got our 120 day letter and have sent back docs and now just waiting to for AOR letter.

The OHIP info asks for this:

CIC Confirmation Letter – letter on CIC letterhead addressed to the Applicant for Permanent Residence that confirms that the applicant is eligible to apply for permanent residency in Canada;

(http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/...aq_dt.html#Q21)

Does anyone know which letter this is? It seems strange as not sure whether/when you get a letter saying you are eligible to apply. We applied to Sydney, NS and now being dealt with my London so not sure if this affects anything.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Lucy
Old May 4th 2009, 7:44 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confirmation of being eligible to apply for PR?

Hi

Originally Posted by lucycrow
Hi there

Not sure if anyone can advise on this one.

Just arrived in Toronto on BUNAC 12 months visa and looking into being eligible for the Ontario Health INsurance Programme (OHIP). My husband is because he has got a job for the next 12 months but I can't be seen as his eligible OHIP spouse as have my own BUNAC visa which is not linked to his.

To be eligible for OHIP, you can be applying for PR but you need to be approved and have a letter saying so (you don't need to have had your medical). We applied with myself as the main applicant in feb and got our 120 day letter and have sent back docs and now just waiting to for AOR letter.

The OHIP info asks for this:

CIC Confirmation Letter – letter on CIC letterhead addressed to the Applicant for Permanent Residence that confirms that the applicant is eligible to apply for permanent residency in Canada;

(http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/...aq_dt.html#Q21)

Does anyone know which letter this is? It seems strange as not sure whether/when you get a letter saying you are eligible to apply. We applied to Sydney, NS and now being dealt with my London so not sure if this affects anything.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Lucy
As far as I know that statement only applies to applicants in Canada, usually only spouses and dependent children.

"you have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada"

You are not applying in Canada, you are applying overseas through London.
Old May 4th 2009, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

I find that phrase really interesting given the form that ALL skilled applicants fill out is entitled...Application for Permanent Residence In Canada...regardless of which visa office they are sending it to. Add that to the fact that now all applicants will be sending their applications to Nova Scotia first for approval (an office IN Canada) and it's actually that office that decides eligibility I think there might be quite a few people questioning how the OHIP people are interpreting that rule.
Old May 5th 2009, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future

I completely agree that it's ambiguous with the wording especially having sent it to Nova Scotia for the first eligibility check!

It's just so frustrating that my husband is OHIP eligible and I'm not even though we have already applied for PR.

Sorry to rant but just seems bit unfair!

Lucy
Old May 5th 2009, 5:11 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by lucycrow
I completely agree that it's ambiguous with the wording especially having sent it to Nova Scotia for the first eligibility check!

It's just so frustrating that my husband is OHIP eligible and I'm not even though we have already applied for PR.

Sorry to rant but just seems bit unfair!

Lucy
Who said that life is fair?

Sydney CIU is not approving applications, it is only saying the application is eligible for further processing. It is the overseas office which makes the decision.
Old May 5th 2009, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Who said that life is fair?

Sydney CIU is not approving applications, it is only saying the application is eligible for further processing. It is the overseas office which makes the decision.
"you have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada"

Ummmm shoot me down if I'm wrong but they aren't asking you for an 'approved' application they're asking you to prove you've submitted an application and were eligible to apply. Surely the letter from Sydney, NS proves that otherwise it wouldn't get sent on to the Visa office.

I know what you're trying to say PMM but the wording is completely ambigious.
Old May 5th 2009, 7:08 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

OHIP make up the rules as they go along anyway I find - you've nothing to lose (other than time) by going down there and asking them....
Old May 5th 2009, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

lol I would if I could...unfortunately my application didn't go through Sydney and I have no documentation to go down and fight my cause at the moment.

I think it's good to not just accept opinions, while the majority of advice is good and well meaning I've found that a lot of times you are told you can't do something when actually you can. Or you can have a damn good fight trying lol
Old May 5th 2009, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

I did take the letter down to the OHIP office in Islington and said it wasn't the right letter! Could try all the OHIP offices in Toronto just to see if anyone else accepts it!!!

Just found out that got Health Insurance on husband's work policy but not sure whether that offers the same as OHIP. It's so confusing this health thing!!