Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Conditional Permanent Residence Proposed to Deter Marriages of Convenience

Conditional Permanent Residence Proposed to Deter Marriages of Convenience

Old Mar 15th 2012, 8:27 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Conditional Permanent Residence Proposed to Deter Marriages of Convenience

CIC recently released this press release
Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Jason Kenney announced measures to further strengthen the Government of Canada’s ability to crack down on marriage fraud.

Under the new proposal, now open for further public input, a spouse or partner being sponsored by a Canadian or permanent resident would be required to live together with their sponsor in a legitimate relationship for two years following receipt of their permanent resident status in Canada.
More here
Old Mar 19th 2012, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

Duckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really nice
Default Re: Conditional Permanent Residence Proposed to Deter Marriages of Convenience

Looks good to me - I've read many stories about sponsors being left high and dry once the partner arrives. Especially common where the marriages are culturally arranged, so the poor sponsor doesn't see anything wrong with marrying someone they've only just met..
Old Mar 19th 2012, 3:10 pm
Canadians!!

Jo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to all
Default Re: Conditional Permanent Residence Proposed to Deter Marriages of Convenience

I was wondering however, how about people who had been married for years before applying, and have kids together...? Clearly the immigration status is not the original incentive to get together. Shouldn't it be that couples have to be together for 2 years before PR status is granted, but if that already happened before application was submitted, then they can automatically get it...? That's what I think...
Old Mar 19th 2012, 4:58 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Jo&Alex
I was wondering however, how about people who had been married for years before applying, and have kids together...? Clearly the immigration status is not the original incentive to get together. Shouldn't it be that couples have to be together for 2 years before PR status is granted, but if that already happened before application was submitted, then they can automatically get it...? That's what I think...
If you read the proposal, relationships over 2 years with children in common will not be subject to the Provisional PR Card.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 5:13 pm
Canadians!!

Jo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to all

I did miss that!!! It makes sense!