Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Concurrent processing of work permit

Concurrent processing of work permit

Old Aug 15th 2007, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future
Default Concurrent processing of work permit

Hi,

I read the following on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/processing.asp) :-

"Certain temporary foreign worker applicants are now eligible for concurrent processing. This means that their work permit applications can start being processed before a Canadian visa office has an approved labour market opinion (LMO). Until August 2006, foreign nationals had to wait until Service Canada approved the LMO before applying for a work permit at a Canadian visa office."

Eligibility
The job you are applying for must be listed in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) at the O, A or B level. For more information, see National Occupational Classification List in the Related Links section at the bottom of the page.
You must be applying for a work permit at a Canadian visa office outside Canada.

I appear to meet both of these criteria as I'd be applying to the London visa office and the position is listed in the B level as Biological Technologists and Technicians code 2221. I'd not heard of concurrent processing before and wondered if anyone else has done it.

Also is the timescale for getting a work permit at London (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...mp-workers.asp) realistic? It currently states 78% of cases are processed in <28 days.

I was considering getting the work permit at POE as I thought it would be quicker, but if London can supply them in <28 days then I can do that whilst I'm working my notice period and awaiting my LMO.

Any advice appreciated.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 11:01 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Concurrent processing of work permit

You can file application but it won't be approved without valid LMO, thus if your employer cannot get LMO in less than 28 days (as most Provinces take now 12 to 16 weeks for LMO) then what's the point? Unless of course job requires medicals - in such case it is worth it.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

We have applied for Concurrent processing as has middle of nowhere.

I think WP times of 78% in less than 28 days are pretty optomistic

Concurrent processing saves you having to wait the WP times in addition to the LMO (middle of nowhere got his WP before he had even been told about positive LMO).

HOWEVER there can be a problem with it I think, which is that they have a tendancy to only hold things on file for 90 days and they appear to be able to throw our concurrent processing out unless the LMO comes back in the timescale. This appears to defaet the object to me, but it could happen and this could be partly to London doing what they want/normally do on applications. Our LMO went in 27th april, our WP application went in on 10th may, we got a standard letter back with not one reference to the concurrent bit on 15th June, advising they would throw it out after 90 days. This is a trifle unfair as the albertan LMO wait times have rocketed and the whole point of doing this concurrent processing is to help save time. So :
1. either they mean it, in which case we feel hard done by as concurrent processing was something they were touting at the time
2. or they couldn't be bothered to send a dedicated letter out to us.

Albertan LMOs are such that noone would meet the 90 days

Gryph
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future

Thanks for the replies, seems not to be such a big benefit as I'd first thought.

Maybe i'll stick to my original plan of getting the work permit at POE in Halifax. I'm 99% sure I dont need a medical (will double check though).

The only thing thats dodgy about getting one at POE is that i'll be flying over as a family including 2 young kids, don't really want any problems when we arrive.

Out of interest has anyone from the UK been turned away at POE after getting positive LMO?
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sockdogg
Thanks for the replies, seems not to be such a big benefit as I'd first thought.

Maybe i'll stick to my original plan of getting the work permit at POE in Halifax. I'm 99% sure I dont need a medical (will double check though).

The only thing thats dodgy about getting one at POE is that i'll be flying over as a family including 2 young kids, don't really want any problems when we arrive.

Out of interest has anyone from the UK been turned away at POE after getting positive LMO?
I would think in your situation it would be of enormous benefit! It would give you peace of mind and you can apply now!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:42 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

are you sure you can do that? I hadn't heard of being able to get a WP at the border
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:44 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I read the following on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/processing.asp) :-

"Certain temporary foreign worker applicants are now eligible for concurrent processing. This means that their work permit applications can start being processed before a Canadian visa office has an approved labour market opinion (LMO). Until August 2006, foreign nationals had to wait until Service Canada approved the LMO before applying for a work permit at a Canadian visa office."

Eligibility
The job you are applying for must be listed in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) at the O, A or B level. For more information, see National Occupational Classification List in the Related Links section at the bottom of the page.
You must be applying for a work permit at a Canadian visa office outside Canada.

I appear to meet both of these criteria as I'd be applying to the London visa office and the position is listed in the B level as Biological Technologists and Technicians code 2221. I'd not heard of concurrent processing before and wondered if anyone else has done it.

Also is the timescale for getting a work permit at London (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...mp-workers.asp) realistic? It currently states 78% of cases are processed in <28 days.

I was considering getting the work permit at POE as I thought it would be quicker, but if London can supply them in <28 days then I can do that whilst I'm working my notice period and awaiting my LMO.

Any advice appreciated.
if you have a job offer why don't you apply through the NS Provincial Nominee Program? That would get you perm residency. And I seem to remember that if you get provincial nomination (doesn't normally tak that long) you can then apply for a work permit and you are exempted from needing the LMO. So could be quicker overall
Old Aug 16th 2007, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

fionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nice

I don't know about NS PNP but for Alberta PNP we needed a positive LMO.
that was in 2005.
Fiona
Old Aug 16th 2007, 4:58 am
Immigration Consultant

Originally Posted by fionamst
I don't know about NS PNP but for Alberta PNP we needed a positive LMO.
that was in 2005.
Fiona
you don't for NS (or at least you didn't) - employer just has to provide evidence of their recruitment effort prior to offering job to would-be immigrant
Old Aug 16th 2007, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

I cant apply for PNP in Nova Scotia as the job i've been offered is on a 3 year contract and not permanent.

This type of contract is very common in the research field as it runs from one grant's worth of funding till the next, if the research is valuable then it gets extended for another 3 or 4 years.