Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Concerned about returning to my spouse

Concerned about returning to my spouse

Old Oct 6th 2016, 1:28 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Concerned about returning to my spouse

Originally Posted by laurab1271
Okay, so after reading through this I understand it'll be 100% in my benefit to apply outland, but how long does it usually take for the initial application to be accepted? have I left it too late now to be returning to my husband mid November? I'm so grateful for the advice from everybody, I'd probably have got turned away had it not been for this so a huge thank you to all that have taken the time to respond!!
As long as you get the application filed, you're golden. It will take you about a month to put the application together if you start now. The forms are all on CIC's website, there's a FAQ in my signature that will be a huge help. He'll have to fill out the sponsor forms in Canada and then mail you all the forms with his signatures so that you can file the whole application as one package. Book your medical (takes a week or two to get an appointment), order your police certificates (you can pay to get rush UK ones, whether you need other countries depends on if you've lived anywhere else; you don't need to provide Canadian ones, CIC will sort that themselves)... if you start today you can get your application filed by the end of the month.

Keep copies of all your receipts (police checks, medicals, courier), and use a courier service to track your application so that you have a record and proof of delivery to CIC. All of that will be the proof to the border agent when you get to Canada that you've filed an application for sponsorship.

The forms can seem very overwhelming at first, especially if you are trying to do it on a deadline... but just take a deep breath, use the FAQ to help you fill it all out, and post any questions not covered in the FAQ and we will be happy to help you out.

It's totally doable.