Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Complicated situation - need advice!

Complicated situation - need advice!

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

cshaubel is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Complicated situation - need advice!

Hi,

I've been searching the internet for an appropriate forum to post these questions and it seems I've found the right one. I apologize for it not being completely on-subject but everyone seems very knowledgeable...

I'm posting on behalf of my boyfriend.

My boyfriend is an American/Panamanian citizen. He was born in the Canal Zone when the United States was there, thus he was appointed both citizenships. His first language is English and attended private international/US schools. He has been accepted for college here in Canada. The school advised that he not worry about getting his student VISA until 2 months before he left - they were under the assumption he would come in as a US citizen (therefore he could get his VISA at the border and enter Canada immediately). But, when he applied, he applied as a Panamanian citizen (he didn't know any better, figuring since he lives there now, that would be the appropriate one to use.) Today he found out he needs a medical exam (all Panamanian citizens do) and it could add months onto his application, meaning he will miss school in the Fall. I automatically contacted the advisor at the school on his behalf and explained the situation. After speaking with Canadian Immigration, she advised that he continue with his Panamanian VISA application, and that since he was residing in Panamanian the medical examination would apply. His medical is tomorrow and the test results should be in within 2 days.

Now, the problem is, getting here for school on-time and the fact that we were planning on him attending a wedding with me in a few weeks. The advisor suggested that he come to Canada using his US passport as a tourist, and have his parents mail him the appropriate letter when it arrives. We would drive across the border (I live about 15 minutes away) and then when we come back across, notify the customs officer about the situation and show the VISA letter. She said that this happens often for international students and that Customs at the border is aware of it. Now, all WE are worried about is 1) he is going to be entering Canada on a 1 way ticket! 2) should he be honest when flying in and explain the situation, and that he is waiting for his student visa or 3) say that he is visiting his girlfriend and was unsure of when he was going home, therefore had yet to book the ticket.

I'm so stumped here. Unfortunately it is the college that misinformed us (he would have started the VISA application MUCH SOONER if we'd known) and he simply cannot miss school.

Does anyone have any suggestions or insight?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

cshaubel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Complicated situation - need advice!

Lots of views but no suggestions... oh well...