Complex PR in UK/Canada question

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Question Complex PR in UK/Canada question

I'll try to make a long story as short as possible!

I'm a Canadian citizen who emigrated to the UK age 10 (my parents moved us over). I have permanent residency (stamp in my Canadian passport to say I can enter the country for an indefinate amount of time), was educated from the age of 10 in British schools, have a National Insurance number, and have worked in the UK since I was 18.

My husband (who is British) and I are discussing the possibility of moving to Canada in the next couple of years, because we don't like the way the UK is changing, and feel that the benefits of an increased quality of life in Canada is worth the risk of moving. We will be applying as a spousal sponsership, according to the CHC in London the fact that I have retained my Canadian citizenship means that I can sponsor my husband, despite not having lived in Canada for 15 years.

My main question is if we move to Canada, will I be sacrificing my right to live and work in the UK indefinately, as it stands at the moment? Although we will be moving without the intention of coming back, situations can change and I would hate to throw that option out the window by relocating.

I know that it is possible to obtain dual citizenship between Canada and the UK, I spent weeks being bounced around the CHC before I got a phone number where they were supposed to tell me whether this was possible in my case or not, but after 4 weeks of trying multiple times a day I never got anything other than a busy signal, so I'm beginning to doubt that anyone actually works there!

I know this isn't technically a Canadian immigration question, but if anyone has any idea, I'd appreciate it. While I'm open-minded enough to take on the risk of moving to a country I barely know (despite being born there), I'd rather not burn all my bridges if I have the choice!

Thanks.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 4:46 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Complex PR in UK/Canada question

Hi

Originally Posted by cov-canuck

I'm a Canadian citizen who emigrated to the UK age 10 (my parents moved us over). I have permanent residency (stamp in my Canadian passport to say I can enter the country for an indefinate amount of time), was educated from the age of 10 in British schools, have a National Insurance number, and have worked in the UK since I was 18.

My husband (who is British) and I are discussing the possibility of moving to Canada in the next couple of years, because we don't like the way the UK is changing, and feel that the benefits of an increased quality of life in Canada is worth the risk of moving. We will be applying as a spousal sponsership, according to the CHC in London the fact that I have retained my Canadian citizenship means that I can sponsor my husband, despite not having lived in Canada for 15 years.

My main question is if we move to Canada, will I be sacrificing my right to live and work in the UK indefinately, as it stands at the moment? Although we will be moving without the intention of coming back, situations can change and I would hate to throw that option out the window by relocating.

I know that it is possible to obtain dual citizenship between Canada and the UK, I spent weeks being bounced around the CHC before I got a phone number where they were supposed to tell me whether this was possible in my case or not, but after 4 weeks of trying multiple times a day I never got anything other than a busy signal, so I'm beginning to doubt that anyone actually works there!

I know this isn't technically a Canadian immigration question, but if anyone has any idea, I'd appreciate it. While I'm open-minded enough to take on the risk of moving to a country I barely know (despite being born there), I'd rather not burn all my bridges if I have the choice!

Thanks.
Take out UK citizenship, Canada recognizes dual citizens, you don't lose anything you just keep another option open.

PMM
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 5:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Canadian citizen who emigrated to the UK age 10 (my parents moved us over). I have permanent residency (stamp in my Canadian passport to say I can enter the country for an indefinate amount of time), was educated from the age of 10 in British schools, have a National Insurance number, and have worked in the UK since I was 18 ...

If you leave the UK without British citizenship your "indefinite leave to remain" will likely expire.

Taking British citizenship by naturalisation should be very straightforward. Go to this site:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind...on_forms.html?
and download the forms and guide AN for naturalisation.

Canada has allowed Canadians to naturalise elsewhere and keep Canadian citizenship since 1977. The UK has allowed dual citizenship since 1949.

Do you have children born in the UK? If so, you should get them Canadian citizenship cards and Canadian passports.

Jeremy
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Red face Re: Complex PR in UK/Canada question

No children, which makes the process much easier. Thanks for the information, I'll check out the website.

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you leave the UK without British citizenship your "indefinite leave to remain" will likely expire.

Taking British citizenship by naturalisation should be very straightforward. Go to this site:

Canada has allowed Canadians to naturalise elsewhere and keep Canadian citizenship since 1977. The UK has allowed dual citizenship since 1949.

Do you have children born in the UK? If so, you should get them Canadian citizenship cards and Canadian passports.

Jeremy
Old Apr 4th 2005, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Question Re: Complex PR in UK/Canada question

I know that it's a very personal decision, but do you think it's actually worth going ahead with the dual nationality route? Or would it be better to wait and see if we do decide to come back, and apply as my British husband's spouse?

Would having dual nationalities affect my ability to sponsor my husband for a Canadian PR?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
Old Apr 4th 2005, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Would having dual nationalities affect my ability to sponsor my husband for a Canadian PR?
No, I'm British and Canadian, didn't matter. I saw in your first post you were concerned as you hadn't lived there since 10yrs old - I've never ever lived there and it didn't matter an iota. You make a declaration to say you will take up residency in Canada if your other half is granted PR.

Best of luck!

Biiiiink
Old Apr 4th 2005, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

OK then...I'm sold! I've printed out the AN application for the UK, seems pretty straightforward! We've decided to keep our options open, and apply for dual nationality (for me anyway!).

One last question...what notification (if any) will I have to make to the Canadian government about my change in nationality? I'm assuming I'll have to tell them at some point, or would this be done automatically by my application?

I have to admit, I didn't expect to have so many helpful responses so quickly, thanks a lot!

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
No, I'm British and Canadian, didn't matter. I saw in your first post you were concerned as you hadn't lived there since 10yrs old - I've never ever lived there and it didn't matter an iota. You make a declaration to say you will take up residency in Canada if your other half is granted PR.

Best of luck!

Biiiiink
Old Apr 4th 2005, 7:03 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

OK then...I'm sold! I've printed out the AN application for the UK, seems pretty straightforward! We've decided to keep our options open, and apply for dual nationality (for me anyway!).

One last question...what notification (if any) will I have to make to the Canadian government about my change in nationality? I'm assuming I'll have to tell them at some point, or would this be done automatically by my application?

I have to admit, I didn't expect to have so many helpful responses so quickly, thanks a lot!

None, Canada doesn't care how many citizenships you have.

PMM
Old Apr 4th 2005, 2:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Canada hasn't cared about you acquiring another citizenship since 1977.

The British government stopped notifying the 'old' countries of new British citizens in about 1988.

Jeremy
Old Apr 4th 2005, 2:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

I know that it's a very personal decision, but do you think it's actually worth going ahead with the dual nationality route? Or would it be better to wait and see if we do decide to come back, and apply as my British husband's spouse?
Why make a simple thing difficult?

Reapplying for a spouse visa involves cost, delay and hassle. And a big problem if your husband had died, for example, and you wanted to return to the UK. And if you did come back, you'd likely find you had to wait out the 3 years for naturalisation from scratch.

With a British passport, you return any time you like. No questions asked. Simple.

Also if you wanted to live somewhere else in Europe, again with a British passport it's simple. Without it - it's complex as you need the EEA family visa, or whatever it's called under the other country's law.

Thanks.
Not as far as I'm aware - lots of dual national Canadians sponsor spouses. Canada doesn't care whether you have another nationality or not.

Jeremy