Complex Case PR Application

Old May 7th 2018, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

sophie1789 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Complex Case PR Application

We have resided in NB Canada since 2015. We were nominated through NBPNP and approved April 2016 and our application for PR was received April 22 2016. We met eligibility for applying for PR in October 2016 and medicals completed and passed May 2017.
Before we left the UK we thought we had ticked all boxes as my husband had a NO Live Trace on his Police certificate so we applied to The High Commissioner of Canada for rehabilitation. As his minor convictions (drunk disorderly,threatening behaviour) took place in 1990 they returned our payment and we received a letter advising he was not criminally inadmissable to Canada.
We are still waiting for a decision (even though processing times are approx 18 months from application received) and after speaking with several call centre staff we have been left feeling bewildered and frustrated as we are not getting anywhere. The last call made last week we were advised this application could run and run and you need to back off as this is a complex file!!
We had instructed a lawyer who had sent a letter breaking down the terms of the crime and she advised this should not have affected our application as 28 years has passed since the convictions.
Our local MP has also written to the Head of Immigration but that had no impact on our file at all.
Has any one else gone through this process as any advise would be greatly appreciated. We have no idea how long a complex case can run until a decision is made and are really concerned. Also, as a complex case does this have a timeline from the date they registered it as complex?
Old May 7th 2018, 1:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Complex Case PR Application

Originally Posted by sophie1789
We have resided in NB Canada since 2015. We were nominated through NBPNP and approved April 2016 and our application for PR was received April 22 2016. We met eligibility for applying for PR in October 2016 and medicals completed and passed May 2017.
Before we left the UK we thought we had ticked all boxes as my husband had a NO Live Trace on his Police certificate so we applied to The High Commissioner of Canada for rehabilitation. As his minor convictions (drunk disorderly,threatening behaviour) took place in 1990 they returned our payment and we received a letter advising he was not criminally inadmissable to Canada.
We are still waiting for a decision (even though processing times are approx 18 months from application received) and after speaking with several call centre staff we have been left feeling bewildered and frustrated as we are not getting anywhere. The last call made last week we were advised this application could run and run and you need to back off as this is a complex file!!
We had instructed a lawyer who had sent a letter breaking down the terms of the crime and she advised this should not have affected our application as 28 years has passed since the convictions.
Our local MP has also written to the Head of Immigration but that had no impact on our file at all.
Has any one else gone through this process as any advise would be greatly appreciated. We have no idea how long a complex case can run until a decision is made and are really concerned. Also, as a complex case does this have a timeline from the date they registered it as complex?
It doesn't sound as though his criminal history is impacting things, if anything is (although all seems normal to me, processing times were much longer in 2016 when you applied), then it's probably something else. I know it's easier said than done, but I really wouldn't worry, if there is an issue then it's probably something as simple as somebody with the same name as him having a 'history' and them needing to check it out and make sure he's not the same person.

You say you applied in April 2016 but then say you met eligibility in October 2016, so I assume the latter date is when you applied and the first is a typo? If so, that's only 18 months ago, you're well within the published timescales back then (and remember, that's only for 80% of cases, so 20% take longer). It was about 2.5-3 years for paper based PNP not so long ago.

I hope you hear something soon. Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 7th 2018 at 1:48 pm.
Old May 7th 2018, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

sophie1789 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Complex Case PR Application

Thank you for your reply Christmasoompa, sorry I wasn't clear on my post. We applied for PNP in Feb 2016 and gained Provincial nomination in April 2016. It was only a 7 week turnaround which was a great service. CIC received our application in June 2016 but backdated it to the PNP date of April 2016.We are hoping it will be resolved shortly so we can feel truly settled as we are loving our lives here in NB.