Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Completing Police Checks Ahead of Request

Completing Police Checks Ahead of Request

Old May 3rd 2006, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Lionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the rough
Default Completing Police Checks Ahead of Request

Hi all

I'm currently waiting for my Family Class application to be processed.
My sponsor has been approved and I have recieved my AOR from CHC London.

I am living with my Common-Law wife in Canada right now, as a visitor.
When we submitted our application, as per instruction, I didn't include the Police Check from the UK.

I was wondering if it's worthwhile getting the check done and sending it to CHC London prior to them requesting it, thereby hopefully speeding up the process.
Would it speed up the process, or hinder it?

As an aside, I need to get certified copies made of my documents for obtaining the check. What constitutes a "certified copy"? Is this similar to getting something notarised - or would just a photocopy stamped in some way at a Police Station here suffice?

Thanks in advance for any help...
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:45 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Completing Police Checks Ahead of Request

Hi

Originally Posted by Lionel_in_Ontario
Hi all

I'm currently waiting for my Family Class application to be processed.
My sponsor has been approved and I have recieved my AOR from CHC London.

I am living with my Common-Law wife in Canada right now, as a visitor.
When we submitted our application, as per instruction, I didn't include the Police Check from the UK.

I was wondering if it's worthwhile getting the check done and sending it to CHC London prior to them requesting it, thereby hopefully speeding up the process.
Would it speed up the process, or hinder it?

As an aside, I need to get certified copies made of my documents for obtaining the check. What constitutes a "certified copy"? Is this similar to getting something notarised - or would just a photocopy stamped in some way at a Police Station here suffice?

Thanks in advance for any help...
You didn't read the instructions properly, the UK police check should have been included with your application. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3901e.pdf see item 10 of the checklist. What you probably want is a certified true copy, banks, notaries can do it, they make a copy of a document then certify as a true copy.
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Lionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

You didn't read the instructions properly, the UK police check should have been included with your application. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3901e.pdf see item 10 of the checklist. What you probably want is a certified true copy, banks, notaries can do it, they make a copy of a document then certify as a true copy.

Hi PMM

Strange - I read http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3999E.pdf and on page 6 near the bottom it states:
"For the following countries, police certificates should not be obtained before applying for immigration" and then goes on to list the United Kingdom, amongst others.

I have submitted a police check from here in Ontario however.

So should I go ahead and get it done? It does say to await further instruction, but i'm not going back to the UK anytime soon and as a FC application the check shouldn't expire before PR is given.

Thanks for your help!
Old May 3rd 2006, 11:29 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Lionel_in_Ontario
Hi PMM

Strange - I read http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3999E.pdf and on page 6 near the bottom it states:
"For the following countries, police certificates should not be obtained before applying for immigration" and then goes on to list the United Kingdom, amongst others.

I have submitted a police check from here in Ontario however.

So should I go ahead and get it done? It does say to await further instruction, but i'm not going back to the UK anytime soon and as a FC application the check shouldn't expire before PR is given.

Thanks for your help!
It is out of date, you have to look at the country specific guide. Your police check from Ontario? I hope it was from the RCMP and that you submitted your fingerprints, rather than a name check from the OPP.

PMM
Old May 3rd 2006, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

It is out of date, you have to look at the country specific guide. Your police check from Ontario? I hope it was from the RCMP and that you submitted your fingerprints, rather than a name check from the OPP.

PMM
Ok, I guess i'll get right on that then...

The police check here was just from my local Police service.
I wasn't aware that there was any requirement for a fingerprint check. CIC Mississauga returned our application because we needed to submit a T4 for my partner, and they never asked for RCMP certificate - the application has now been forwarded to CHC London, so maybe they were satisfied with what I submitted?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/police-...ca/canada.html isn't very decisive either way.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Lionel_in_Ontario; May 3rd 2006 at 11:42 am.
Old May 3rd 2006, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

vietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the rough

I have a simular question, if there are any experts who can help:

We submitting the police checks along with our common-law application; however, the police checks were done 8 months ago and therefore would now no longer be valid because police checks are good for 6 months, if I'm correct. We haven't heard anything from Singapore yet. SO MY QUESTIONS ARE:

1. Will they ask for a new police check?
2. Would it be a good idea to submit a new police check before they ask for them?
3. If sending before they ask, would this speed up the process.

PS, The new police check are already done and ready to go. We just picked it up today.

Thanks
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by vietcan
I have a simular question, if there are any experts who can help:

We submitting the police checks along with our common-law application; however, the police checks were done 8 months ago and therefore would now no longer be valid because police checks are good for 6 months, if I'm correct. We haven't heard anything from Singapore yet. SO MY QUESTIONS ARE:

1. Will they ask for a new police check?
2. Would it be a good idea to submit a new police check before they ask for them?
3. If sending before they ask, would this speed up the process.

PS, The new police check are already done and ready to go. We just picked it up today.

Thanks
Hmm...my husband's police check in the UK was valid for 1 year (same as medicals)...where is it for yours that says it's only good for 6 months?
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

vietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the rough

Hi cov-canuck,

The police check is from Vietnam, but I don't think location has anything to do with how long it is valid. It was an expert on this board who told me there were valid for 6 months. I believe it was Mr Miller but I'm not a 100%, so I will have to go back and see if I can find it. Anyway, we have a new one ready just in case. Luckly in Vietnam police checks only cost $8ca.

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
Hmm...my husband's police check in the UK was valid for 1 year (same as medicals)...where is it for yours that says it's only good for 6 months?
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

I looked back and yes, it was Mr Miller who said that. Here is his quote :

PC's must be not older than 6 months when received by visa post with application. If visa post needs newer from the country of current residence then they will ask for them close to the end of process.

Also, Mr Miller has already answered my question. I must of missed it some how. Anyway, so we will send in the new police check.

Hi cov-canuck,

The police check is from Vietnam, but I don't think location has anything to do with how long it is valid. It was an expert on this board who told me there were valid for 6 months. I believe it was Mr Miller but I'm not a 100%, so I will have to go back and see if I can find it. Anyway, we have a new one ready just in case. Luckly in Vietnam police checks only cost $8ca.
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

I looked back and yes, it was Mr Miller who said that. Here is his quote :

PC's must be not older than 6 months when received by visa post with application. If visa post needs newer from the country of current residence then they will ask for them close to the end of process.

Also, Mr Miller has already answered my question. I must of missed it some how. Anyway, so we will send in the new police check.
There's no harm in sending a new one (particularly if it's still clean! ) but what this quote says is not that it's only valid for 6 months, but that it can't be older than 6 months when you send it with your application. i.e. a police check that you did 8 months before you even mailed your application is no good.
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, sorry I was incorrect about PC being valid for 6 months. Someone eles actually said that in another thread and that's what I remembered. But it was Mr Miller that said they can't be older then 6 months after being received.

Also, you miss understood me when I said the police checks were 8 months old. I didn't say they were 8 months old before sending. They're only 8 months old as of now. The application was sent in November, and the 3 months old when we sent in the application. Mississauga took 3 months to process the first stage, so I'm not sure if the PC were greater then 6 months by the time they reach Singapore. Anyway, it wont hurt to send in a new one. We just want this application to go as fast as possible and are trying to advoid any delays.

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
There's no harm in sending a new one (particularly if it's still clean! ) but what this quote says is not that it's only valid for 6 months, but that it can't be older than 6 months when you send it with your application. i.e. a police check that you did 8 months before you even mailed your application is no good.