Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Completely Confused Canadian Spousal Sponsorship

Completely Confused Canadian Spousal Sponsorship

Old Aug 27th 2014, 8:45 am
Just Joined

TVonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Completely Confused Canadian Spousal Sponsorship

I am hoping to find out some general information and also hear how peoples experiences were for applying to immigrate to Canada from the UK with a spousal sponsor. Especially if the spouse is living abroad with them before they move to Canada.
I realise there are probably other posts on this but I can't seem to find any in my quick search and I am hoping to get some friendly information.

I am a Canadian living in the UK at the moment with my fiancé and we are just looking to hear timelines if the sponsor lives outside of Canada (The immigration website is so confusing to navigate through) and also if you have experienced this situation and have any good advice please share

Specific questions:
It says you have a year to get all the documentation in but when did people start getting the documentation together? Did you have any setbacks or surprises along the way? We don't want to move for a year and 8 months but we also need to know how long the sponsorship takes before the immigration application and did people find the overall process was like 6 months long? a year? Should we start now? Did people need a minimum amount in their bank account (Like i did for my visa here) before they apply? (can't find anything but fees on the website)

We are visiting Canada again in October and hope to ask the immigration office there but I would love to hear from people who have experienced this first hand.
I am sorry if this is repetitive but I figured I could get some really knowledgeable people here helping me. Thank you in advanced
Old Aug 27th 2014, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Completely Confused Canadian Spousal Sponsorship

There is a thread on Timelines for Spousal Sponsorship, its active so should be easy to find, probably on first page. SchnookoLoly has also put together a spreadsheet on this subject, look for one of her posts and the link is on her signature line.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

TVonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much! I am so new at this so thank you for your help
Old Aug 28th 2014, 7:44 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Poke! Poke!

I'm on holiday right now so will keep this short.... not a problem to apply outside Canada. Makes no difference. Spreadsheet is in my signature! The timeline thread is a huge help. There are three or four other threads about spousal sponsorship on the first three or so pages of the forum.

Also read the wiki section on family immigration as it will answer a bucket of your questions!

Good luck!