Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Company Wants to get me LMO but my passport expires

Company Wants to get me LMO but my passport expires

Old Aug 3rd 2012, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

gquaglia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Company Wants to get me LMO but my passport expires

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone is able to help me with a problem.

I have very recently come to canada on the International Experience Canada. My Visa runs until july 2013
I have a job with a company but was only expecting to be here for the year so I didn't renew my British Passport (it expires FEB 2014). The company I'm working for has said they would like to apply to get me an LMO so I can stay on. The trouble is the expiry of my passport means I could only be here another 7months?

What I would like to know is am I able to renew my British Passport from here in Canada? I believe my Visa is very much a part of my current passport so if I just renewed my passport the normal way it wouldn't match my visa? If this is the case there must be a way round it? I mean I can't be the only person this has happened to

Any help would be much appreciated. Google so far has returned me nothing.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Company Wants to get me LMO but my passport expires

Originally Posted by gquaglia
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone is able to help me with a problem.

I have very recently come to canada on the International Experience Canada. My Visa runs until july 2013
I have a job with a company but was only expecting to be here for the year so I didn't renew my British Passport (it expires FEB 2014). The company I'm working for has said they would like to apply to get me an LMO so I can stay on. The trouble is the expiry of my passport means I could only be here another 7months?

What I would like to know is am I able to renew my British Passport from here in Canada? I believe my Visa is very much a part of my current passport so if I just renewed my passport the normal way it wouldn't match my visa? If this is the case there must be a way round it? I mean I can't be the only person this has happened to

Any help would be much appreciated. Google so far has returned me nothing.
All renewal of UK passports are done by Washington.
Send off the passport for renewal now and then get the company to apply for the LMO. Once new passport arrives just flagpole at the nearest land border crossing and if you want pay the $6 fee for the I94 waiver and make a shopping day out of it in the US.