Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Which company to get Qualifications assessed??

Which company to get Qualifications assessed??

Old Aug 28th 2015, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Lauterbrunnen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which company to get Qualifications assessed??

Hi everyone,

I'm an electrician from Scotland currently living and working here in Calgary, Alberta. I'm going to get my UK electrical qualification assessed to gain more points for the express entry route to PR. I see that there are a number of companies who will do the assessment. Can anyone recommend a company they have used for this and maybe some advice on anything related to this too?? Thanks for any help on my PR mission!
Old Aug 28th 2015, 8:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which company to get Qualifications assessed??

Originally Posted by Lauterbrunnen
Hi everyone,

I'm an electrician from Scotland currently living and working here in Calgary, Alberta. I'm going to get my UK electrical qualification assessed to gain more points for the express entry route to PR. I see that there are a number of companies who will do the assessment. Can anyone recommend a company they have used for this and maybe some advice on anything related to this too?? Thanks for any help on my PR mission!
Any of the credential assessment agencies authorised by CIC will do, it's really up to you which you use. Most people tend to just go with whoever has the lesser processing time, as they can vary by several months.

What do you score on the CRS, is it enough to get selected from the pool or do you need a job offer first?

HTH.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 3:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your response! I'll look further into each of their processing times then. I'm sitting on about 400 points, which is very frustrating as I've been working here in the trade with my Canadian license for over a year now. I'm just trying to do whatever I can now to gather some more points. An LMIA would be very nice but no chance of that just now unfortunately.

Cheers
Old Aug 29th 2015, 4:06 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your response! I'll look further into each of their processing times then. I'm sitting on about 400 points, which is very frustrating as I've been working here in the trade with my Canadian license for over a year now. I'm just trying to do whatever I can now to gather some more points. An LMIA would be very nice but no chance of that just now unfortunately.

Cheers
If you've already got a Canadian electrician's (Red Seal?) license, what's the point of getting your UK trade qualifications assessed?
Old Aug 29th 2015, 4:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
If you've already got a Canadian electrician's (Red Seal?) license, what's the point of getting your UK trade qualifications assessed?
Unfortunately, he won't get any points for his education unless he's had it assessed. With only 400 points, he needs every one he can get!

OP - is PNP nomination an option if a LMIA isn't?
Old Aug 29th 2015, 4:40 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to get my UK electrical qualification assessed to gain more points for the express entry route to PR.
Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Unfortunately, he won't get any points for his education unless he's had it assessed.
But he never mentioned his education, just his trade qualifications. Then he said he's already working as a qualified electrician in Canada.

That's what puzzles me.

<BTW we're both in Europe now, :thumb up: >
Old Aug 29th 2015, 4:41 am
Born again atheist

I'm going to get my UK electrical qualification assessed to gain more points for the express entry route to PR.
Unfortunately, he won't get any points for his education unless he's had it assessed.
But he never mentioned his education, just his trade qualifications. Then he said he's already working as a qualified electrician in Canada.

That's what puzzles me.

<BTW we're both in Europe now, >
Old Aug 29th 2015, 5:09 am
Just Joined

Novocastrian, Yes this is a confusing one for sure. Several Irish guys whom I've been working with and went through the process with a laywer were advised that in the section where they were asked if they had a Canadian qualification, they were to answer 'no'. They all have Red seal electrical licenses (same as myself) but due to them not completing there apprenticeship in Canada it would not count. Seems crazy to me as I went through quite the process to get my Red seal here. So it seems I need to have my UK license assessed to gain points. Very confusing and doesn't make any sense, I know I know

christmasoompa, here in Alberta I don't think PNP is realistic as I'm sure the wait for that is over two years now. I have been looking into a possible move to Saskatchewan or Manitoba through PNP though. Info online isn't to clear on that though from what I've looked at. To be honest, I'm hoping that by scraping together some more points will get me selected through Express Entry and I won't need to look at a relocation.

Thanks for the help, very much appreciated!
Old Aug 29th 2015, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Kiki1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Novocastrian, Yes this is a confusing one for sure. Several Irish guys whom I've been working with and went through the process with a laywer were advised that in the section where they were asked if they had a Canadian qualification, they were to answer 'no'. They all have Red seal electrical licenses (same as myself) but due to them not completing there apprenticeship in Canada it would not count. Seems crazy to me as I went through quite the process to get my Red seal here. So it seems I need to have my UK license assessed to gain points. Very confusing and doesn't make any sense, I know I know

christmasoompa, here in Alberta I don't think PNP is realistic as I'm sure the wait for that is over two years now. I have been looking into a possible move to Saskatchewan or Manitoba through PNP though. Info online isn't to clear on that though from what I've looked at. To be honest, I'm hoping that by scraping together some more points will get me selected through Express Entry and I won't need to look at a relocation.

Thanks for the help, very much appreciated!

AINP- Alberta PNP has been suspended and anyway it will not give you 600 points.

Regarding electrician qualification in UK- is it NVQ? As far as I know you can not assess trade certifications (WES)

World Education Services: Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) Credential Assessments

With a WES ECA you can:

• meet CIC educational credential assessment requirements (note for physicians and pharmacists)
  • gain recognition for your education so you can pursue your goals in Canada
  • store your report and educational documents for future use. The WES ECA is valid for five years for CIC purposes. For information about CIC immigration programs, visit the CIC website.

*WES does not evaluate occupational or trade qualifications.

Old Aug 29th 2015, 8:51 am
Just Joined

I'll need to look at the other companies then and see if they would do it. My UK qualification is an SVQ, as I done it in Scotland. I must be able to gain points somehow with either my UK license or my Red Seal, given that the trade is on the NOC type B list.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 3:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You may want to have a look through this page on CIC website: Express Entry &ndash; Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...conversion.asp

Two-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute (1)

(1) Note that this equivalency assessment outcome applies to reports issued by either the International Credential Evaluation Service (ICES), British Columbia Institute of Technology or the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS), Government of Alberta These designated organizations indicate outcomes in English only.

IQAS does not evaluate Trades Training or occupational/professional qualifications and evaluates only formal academic/technical education.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 29th 2015 at 3:27 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 9:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Kiki1
AINP- Alberta PNP has been suspended and anyway it will not give you 600 points.
Why do you think it won't get him 600 points if he's got a nomination from AB PNP?

It has been paused, but it might be the OP's only option from what he's said.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

That's what puzzles me.

<BTW we're both in Europe now, >
And I hope France is treating you well monsieur? Hurrah for Europe.

I'd assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the OP had a 'proper' apprenticeship, which is counted as a qualification. No idea what an SVQ is tbh, so I don't know whether he could get that assessed or whether it would give him any points.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 1:53 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you think it won't get him 600 points if he's got a nomination from AB PNP?

It has been paused, but it might be the OP's only option from what he's said.

And I hope France is treating you well monsieur? Hurrah for Europe.

I'd assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the OP had a 'proper' apprenticeship, which is counted as a qualification. No idea what an SVQ is tbh, so I don't know whether he could get that assessed or whether it would give him any points.
SVQs (Scottish Vocational Qualifications) and other SQA accredited qualifications - SQA