Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Companies promising can get LMO jobs for you and how true is it!!

Companies promising can get LMO jobs for you and how true is it!!

Old Oct 18th 2012, 1:15 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8
nicolac is a jewel in the roughnicolac is a jewel in the roughnicolac is a jewel in the roughnicolac is a jewel in the rough
Default Companies promising can get LMO jobs for you and how true is it!!

Hi Sorry this is so long. Was wondering whether anyone had any advice or knew anything about the following. My husband is currently serving with British Air Force overseas and is due to retire from Forces from next March. We originally looked to immigrate under skilled worker program, having being told that being ex british military would be no problem in immigrating to be told, that as a serving member of military and having been trained with a trade, eg electrical engineering or IT, that as you don't officially leave your house and officially just do that role every day, it does not count as having experience in that field. This obviously causes us alot of problems and although we are aware this route has ceased until next year, we don't think this will be viable then either. Our only other option then is the temporary work permit (LMO) option. This is obviously not that easy to obtain as you need to prove to the government that a canadian can't or won't do that particular job and you need to find an employer that is prepared to even look past the fact at the CV stage that you are not a Canadian resident! My husband has been applying to numerous companies regarding positions and has had no response back from anyone, leading us to believe that our quest may be futile!! We have approached a company called incanadanow, who first check to see if you eligible to go through through 'jobconnect program', where they find an employer for you and then sort the LMO out for you. The fee for this service is around 3500 sterling pounds. The company has all their credentials on their site which we have checked and they appear solid, but we wanted to know has anybody else heard of this company before ? Incanadanow say they have jobs available now in my husbands field (IT) but we are very wary of whether this will really work. We have lived outside of the UK for so long now and we would love to make Canada our first real home outside of the military. Any advice or help would be gratefully received!! Thank you
nicolac is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2012, 1:20 am
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,217
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Companies promising can get LMO jobs for you and how true is it!!

If your husband qualifies as a Skilled Worker, then it doesn't matter whether he did the job in the Army, or 'left the house every day'. He would still qualify.

Having said that, if he does need a job offer, then he should NOT be paying anybody for that - it is illegal in most of Canada for anybody to charge him for assisting in finding a job and frankly £3500 is a ridiculous amount of money! That's more than most consultants charge for a full PR application!

So I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole frankly, and just try it himself. You say your husband has applied to 'numerous companies', how has he been doing that? Has he been out there?
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2012, 5:24 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8
nicolac is a jewel in the roughnicolac is a jewel in the roughnicolac is a jewel in the roughnicolac is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Companies promising can get LMO jobs for you and how true is it!!

Thank you for replying. This company get around the illegality of asking for this fee as they say this is for the other services they provide and not the 'jobconnect program' as such! No my husband has not been out to Canada yet to try job hunting as we were told that companies do not like you to approch them out of the blue, nor recruitment agencies if you do not already have a work permit. We obviously would be happy to do this if we thought we stood a chance. We have joined the obvious job sites, monster, linked in etc and have been applying to many companies direct. We are aware that our chances of getting a position may be better if we look toward the west, whereas we were focusing on the East before. If you have any ideas on how to help, we would gladly listen. Thanks
nicolac is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2012, 5:41 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Silverdragon102's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Amherst Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,935
Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Companies promising can get LMO jobs for you and how true is it!!

Amazing what companies will tell you to get their business. Companies do not mind you sending in resumes and if you do it yourself will save lots of pennies. The forms are easy to complete. Just check out the wiki above for Canada
Silverdragon102 is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2012, 5:57 am
  #5  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,217
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Companies promising can get LMO jobs for you and how true is it!!

Originally Posted by nicolac
This company get around the illegality of asking for this fee as they say this is for the other services they provide and not the 'jobconnect program' as such!
So what exactly are they saying is included in the £3500 fee? Given that the LMO is free to apply for (and the employer has to do it anyway) and that the TWP is $150 (and can just be obtained at the airport when you arrive without any paperwork or hassle), I'm at a bit of a loss as to what that fee is for? As it's clearly not for visa paperwork, I'd love to know how they justify it.

Originally Posted by nicolac
No my husband has not been out to Canada yet to try job hunting as we were told that companies do not like you to approch them out of the blue
You've been advised really badly then! Have a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki, which has loads of good tips and advice in it. Basically though, forget applying for anything on the internet (unlikely to even get a response doing that, never mind a job offer), to stand any chance you need to pick up the phone at the very least, or ideally get out there and knock on doors. That's how 90% of the people on this forum have got job offers.

Grab a cuppa, read the Wiki and maybe rethink your job hunting strategy, as it may be easier if you can concentrate on the all important personal contact and networking.

Best of luck.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:12 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,746
Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Companies promising can get LMO jobs for you and how true is it!!

Originally Posted by nicolac
Thank you for replying. This company get around the illegality of asking for this fee as they say this is for the other services they provide and not the 'jobconnect program' as such! No my husband has not been out to Canada yet to try job hunting as we were told that companies do not like you to approch them out of the blue, nor recruitment agencies if you do not already have a work permit. We obviously would be happy to do this if we thought we stood a chance. We have joined the obvious job sites, monster, linked in etc and have been applying to many companies direct. We are aware that our chances of getting a position may be better if we look toward the west, whereas we were focusing on the East before. If you have any ideas on how to help, we would gladly listen. Thanks
My husband works in IT and sent his resumes off to a few companies. This was followed by skype interviews and then interviews face to face when we came over for a holiday. One offered him a job and started the LMO process and here we are.

It's not easy but it's not impossible either... Calgary is short of good IT people.

He has to be prepared to follow up on sending his resumes with phone calls. Like Oompa says its all about phones and face to face chats over here. You would be better in my opinion to spend the £3500 on a trip over here and organise to get together for coffee with some of the companies. This is what my husband did. One said they would like to get together for coffee but then a week later they wanted to talk to him on the phone and then Skype etc and then by the time we got over for the holiday it was formal interviews with heads of departments and directors etc.

Hope this helps
Geordie Lass is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:20 am
  #7  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,885
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Companies promising can get LMO jobs for you and how true is it!!

Im in the wrong job 3500 quid wow maybe I should quit now and pass myself off as a consultant
The only companies who can promise you a job are the companies in Canada who are hiring and even then its no guarantee you would get one.
With no disrespect to legal consultants who ply their trade there are far too many non legal firms who advertise this service but dont deliver.
Read this link for accredited members
http://www.iccrc-crcic.ca/home.cfm
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 12:34 am
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8
nicolac is a jewel in the roughnicolac is a jewel in the roughnicolac is a jewel in the roughnicolac is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Companies promising can get LMO jobs for you and how true is it!!

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
My husband works in IT and sent his resumes off to a few companies. This was followed by skype interviews and then interviews face to face when we came over for a holiday. One offered him a job and started the LMO process and here we are.

It's not easy but it's not impossible either... Calgary is short of good IT people.

He has to be prepared to follow up on sending his resumes with phone calls. Like Oompa says its all about phones and face to face chats over here. You would be better in my opinion to spend the £3500 on a trip over here and organise to get together for coffee with some of the companies. This is what my husband did. One said they would like to get together for coffee but then a week later they wanted to talk to him on the phone and then Skype etc and then by the time we got over for the holiday it was formal interviews with heads of departments and directors etc.

Hope this helps
Firstly thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply. We have been reading the Wiki and following on from comments, we will be changing our strategy I think. Do you all agree that looking on the East would be the way to go and that employers like the more personal touch with phone calls and prearranged meetings??? Geordie Lass did your husband apply for advertised positions or just send resumes off blind and then follow them up? What sort of timescale from sending off resumes until meeting with employers did you have?? Congrats on it working for you by the way! Any other info you have or anyone else would be so much appreciated!! Am sorry this so long , just really want all the knowledge we can get. Thanks in advance
nicolac is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 3:49 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,746
Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Companies promising can get LMO jobs for you and how true is it!!

Originally Posted by nicolac
Firstly thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply. We have been reading the Wiki and following on from comments, we will be changing our strategy I think. Do you all agree that looking on the East would be the way to go and that employers like the more personal touch with phone calls and prearranged meetings??? Geordie Lass did your husband apply for advertised positions or just send resumes off blind and then follow them up? What sort of timescale from sending off resumes until meeting with employers did you have?? Congrats on it working for you by the way! Any other info you have or anyone else would be so much appreciated!! Am sorry this so long , just really want all the knowledge we can get. Thanks in advance
He looked up companies that matched what he did in the UK and then sent them a resume. He sent off 3 to start with. One contacted him (which is unheard of). I think this was around May/June time. We then came over on holiday and they wanted to meet with him after the skype interviews. They offered him the job after the second face to face interview. We got the LMO in March (if I remember rightly) so almost 6 months. I think they dragged their heels a bit and it prob could have been done a bit quicker.

Hope that helps.
Geordie Lass is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 6:04 am
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8
nicolac is a jewel in the roughnicolac is a jewel in the roughnicolac is a jewel in the roughnicolac is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Companies promising can get LMO jobs for you and how true is it!!

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
He looked up companies that matched what he did in the UK and then sent them a resume. He sent off 3 to start with. One contacted him (which is unheard of). I think this was around May/June time. We then came over on holiday and they wanted to meet with him after the skype interviews. They offered him the job after the second face to face interview. We got the LMO in March (if I remember rightly) so almost 6 months. I think they dragged their heels a bit and it prob could have been done a bit quicker.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Geordie Lass, thats great! If you ever think of anything else that could be useful to us, then please don't hesitate to get in touch! thanks again
nicolac is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.