Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

"Community Identified" Stream - Nova Scotia

Wikiposts

"Community Identified" Stream - Nova Scotia

Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:32 am
Just Joined

ffthebrave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Community Identified" Stream - Nova Scotia

We have recently landed via this route (9 months) and is well worth considering if you are looking to bypass the wait and you are in the right circumstances.

There is apparently a quota renewed each January though NS are in the process of increasing this.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 1:23 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Community Identified" Stream - Nova Scotia

Maybe you should start a service on here of identifying people
Old Sep 5th 2007, 5:17 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ffthebrave
We have recently landed via this route (9 months) and is well worth considering if you are looking to bypass the wait and you are in the right circumstances.

There is apparently a quota renewed each January though NS are in the process of increasing this.
Perhaps also mention what types of organisations are able to "identify" someone and what reasons they usually need to give for needing them to come to Nova Scotia?
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

I've not heard of this - can you tell us more about it ?
Old Sep 6th 2007, 1:15 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southcote
I've not heard of this - can you tell us more about it ?
There's some stuff on it here at the NS Immigration website: http://novascotiaimmigration.com/en-page1095.aspx

Would think ffthebrave would be able to tell more if her has actually done it
Old Sep 6th 2007, 6:01 am
Just Joined

Graven64 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NSpaul
There's some stuff on it here at the NS Immigration website: http://novascotiaimmigration.com/en-page1095.aspx

Would think ffthebrave would be able to tell more if her has actually done it

This looks good for those of youwho have strong ties with NS, if you dont I guess you have to go across the pond and build those strong ties... Am I correct ?
Old Sep 6th 2007, 7:54 am
Immigration Consultant

Originally Posted by Graven64
This looks good for those of youwho have strong ties with NS, if you dont I guess you have to go across the pond and build those strong ties... Am I correct ?
well I guess none of these organisations are going to "identify" you if they never met you before
Old Sep 6th 2007, 8:41 am
Just Joined

ffthebrave is an unknown quantity at this point

We became involved in "community" life just by being here as everyone does. It wasn't planned as we were at that time unaware of the Community Identified route.

Our pre-school daughter went to "pop ups" so we got known at the school, we joined an ice-skating club and joined in their fund-raisng, we helped our neighbours as they helped us. We also purchased a house here in Malagash, Cumberland County.

The next step is an interview with the Regional Development Agency - ours was Cumberland County (CReDA) http://www.creda.net/community/immigration.html. We supplied letters of support from neighbours, school Principal and church and a letter from or local councillor. This was a very easy-going meeting and after, they recommend support for our application with Nova Scotia immigration.

Then, on approval, the application is sent to London and medical requests/police checks/photographs are requested, and finally visas issued. Then we had to leave (we drove to Maine for the weekend) then landed.

Nova Scotia is losing a lot of people to Alberta and they have an aging population and say many businesses have no succession planning and therefore business opportunities here increase and property prices remain (relatively) low. Just near us - 75 acres raised prime meadow/farmland with great oceanview for £30000, as an example. Waterfront is still affordable (but less people seem to want that now with sea levels supposedly rising!).

We were encouraged all along the route by CReDA and NS Immigration whom you can call and talk to with humour - eg I called to see how our application was going and got "won't be long, it is in sight of my desk.." It was!)

We are so pleased we did it and lived the life while we waited for things to progress.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Graven64 is an unknown quantity at this point

We became involved in "community" life just by being here as everyone does. It wasn't planned as we were at that time unaware of the Community Identified route.

Our pre-school daughter went to "pop ups" so we got known at the school, we joined an ice-skating club and joined in their fund-raisng, we helped our neighbours as they helped us. We also purchased a house here in Malagash, Cumberland County.

The next step is an interview with the Regional Development Agency - ours was Cumberland County (CReDA) http://www.creda.net/community/immigration.html. We supplied letters of support from neighbours, school Principal and church and a letter from or local councillor. This was a very easy-going meeting and after, they recommend support for our application with Nova Scotia immigration.

Then, on approval, the application is sent to London and medical requests/police checks/photographs are requested, and finally visas issued. Then we had to leave (we drove to Maine for the weekend) then landed.

Nova Scotia is losing a lot of people to Alberta and they have an aging population and say many businesses have no succession planning and therefore business opportunities here increase and property prices remain (relatively) low. Just near us - 75 acres raised prime meadow/farmland with great oceanview for £30000, as an example. Waterfront is still affordable (but less people seem to want that now with sea levels supposedly rising!).

We were encouraged all along the route by CReDA and NS Immigration whom you can call and talk to with humour - eg I called to see how our application was going and got "won't be long, it is in sight of my desk.." It was!)

We are so pleased we did it and lived the life while we waited for things to progress.
Sounds great, can I ask how long ou had to remain there whilst this all went through, I appreciate it took 9 months to process but how long were you there before you got the letters from the community. Im Happy for you, well done and you have a great life there! :-)
Old Sep 6th 2007, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

CHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant future

Congratulations to you and your family!

Reading your post above made a nice refreshing change, and reminded me of why I want to move my family to a community based area.

It sounds like you will be very happy with your new life, and went with the right attitude of fitting in with others around you, and becoming a part of the community without thinking "whats in it for me" - I wish you well for the future
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

I too am going through community identified, but my experience may offer a little more hope to UK based people.

I rang immigration in Nova Scotia as I was getting frustrated in that I "nearly but not quite" fell into all sorts of categories - we didn't have a job lined up, I manage a company but don't own it, Warren is a welder but that wasn't specified as a shortage etc - and we didn't want to wait four years to move to our dream area!

Francis in immigration was lovely, she told us about community identified as it applied because we were looking at a rural area. she gave us the number of an economic development agency and some advice of how to apply.

I went to Kentville Economic development agency, Madonna there told me to "pop" over for an interview!! and I also had an interview with the business development manager there. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't easy, I had to have all my paperwork in order and a 30 page business plan for a business we were looking at in NS (a small gift shop). Usually, a second interview is required a few months later, but I had managed to be sufficiently well prepared to get away with one interview.

As for the letters of recommendation, we were allowed to bring letters from people in the UK. As Madonna said, how could we get letters from NS, we didn't know anyone there yet!! I got about nine letters from work, the scoutmaster, charities I am involved with etc.

When Madonna wrote my letter of support, I drove to immigration in Halifax with all my paperwork, intending just to ensure it arrived safely, but Francis saw me there and then which made the process even faster.

So our timeline is: we had our interviews May, got authorisation to apply to London from NS in August, applied at the beginning of September and got our medical forms back a week and a half later.

We have our medical next week, then ... it is a waiting game like everyone else!! We have bought our house in the Annapolis valley, a quiet area very family orientated and so peaceful. Just got to get through this last bit !!!

If you think you have the business skill, try Community identified, as they need skilled people and it seems to be one hell of a lot faster than skilled worker

Good luck!
Rachel
Old Sep 25th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

This sounds really interesting. So was there any stipulation given as to how old your ties with the community had to be?

Halifax County's Regional Development Agency says they have to be long established (As does the official NS site).

http://www.greaterhalifax.com/en/hom...migrating.aspx

It doesn't seem from the experiences here that they were that 'old'.

So for example, if my family went out there for say 3-4 months, was involved in the local community and got an armful of references the Regional Development agency would entertain the application?

(I've applied for PR via the Federal Skilled worker route by the way...)
Old Sep 26th 2007, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

thats a good question! We are seriously thinking of coming over to NS in the spring for 6 months having spent a great couple of weeks at the beginning of this month. It seems like a lifetime ago already after 2 weeks of being back in blighty. A couple of other questions though

can you buy any business and get in through this route?

And this may be an assumption but i guess you went over as a visitor for 6 months then renewed after that? How did immigrationtreat you when you said you wanted to stay for 6 months in an attempt to make it permanent and if you had to renew after 6 months what did you have to do at that point.

We also are in the federal skilled route with approx 3 years to go at this rate and its been in a year already.

Would the fact that we are already in this queue affect any potential application via the community identified route?

Sorry about the questions but it would be great to get a little more insight

Thx
Old Sep 26th 2007, 2:32 am
Immigration Consultant

Originally Posted by bodgerx
This sounds really interesting. So was there any stipulation given as to how old your ties with the community had to be?

Halifax County's Regional Development Agency says they have to be long established (As does the official NS site).

http://www.greaterhalifax.com/en/hom...migrating.aspx

It doesn't seem from the experiences here that they were that 'old'.
I've got no direct experience of the Community Identified stream but I can tell you that the "official" stance often seems to be a bit stricter than the reality. For instance in the NS PNP skilled worker stream there seemed to be a lot of emphasis on the employer haveing to "prove" that they couldn't find a Canadian to fill the job but the reality was that just a print-out from their website showing they had advertised it via their own website seemed to satisfy!

You need to understand there are politics at work here. The provinces get approval from Ottawa to set-up their PNPs and effectively by-pass the federal immigration rules. In return Ottawa wants to ensure that the PNPs are genuinely addressing the unique needs of individual provinces, people are properly vetted, and the PNP is not simply competing with the federal program for the same people. But, at the provincial level, they just want skilled immigrants so as long as they can show Ottawa they are loosely following the rules of the PNP agreement between the Province and federal government they don't really care too much.

I think this will be especially the case in rural areas outside of HRM - such is the need for immigrants to prevent the population declining and the economic problems that accompany that situation that they will probably bend the rules as much as they can to get you in. You'll probably find that demand for immigrants in HRM is not as high though.

Last edited by Paul Wildy; Sep 26th 2007 at 2:35 am.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Thanks NSPaul.

I don't think you have to be buying a business. Check out the official Nova Scotia Immigration site. Also, ffthebrave seems to have switched from Federal to PNP...check out her other thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.