Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Community Identified Stream and Immigration Consultants Nova Scotia

Community Identified Stream and Immigration Consultants Nova Scotia

Old Jan 31st 2011, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

fuzzbottle will become famous soon enoughfuzzbottle will become famous soon enough
Default Community Identified Stream and Immigration Consultants Nova Scotia

I have been in touch with a well known immigration consultant from Nova Scotia and have received an estimate for their help in applying for the community identified stream in NS. I must admit I was not expecting such a high quote!! but I appreciate that it covers a lot of things I might struggle to achive. Does anyone have experience of acheiving this visa stream on their own or is it worth using the consultant to hopefully increase your chances of success
Old Jan 31st 2011, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Community Identified Stream and Immigration Consultants Nova Scotia

there are a lot of us around who are going down the CI route or who have been down it. I would say it is something you should seriously consider just doing yourself - that is how we have been doing it and it's going OK - so far lol. At work now, will reply again later but I'm sure others will be along too!
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:44 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by izzi81
there are a lot of us around who are going down the CI route or who have been down it. I would say it is something you should seriously consider just doing yourself - that is how we have been doing it and it's going OK - so far lol. At work now, will reply again later but I'm sure others will be along too!
Ditto, we are probably a couple of months behind Izzi with our application and so far so good. If you are a straightforward case ie. meet all the requirements, there is no reason why you shouldn;t be able to everything yourself, we did Where are you in the process, have you met with your chosen RDA yet? The first port of call would be to look at the NS immigration website. There's a section on there about the Community Identified Stream. If you read the guidance on completing the forms and look at the forms which can also be downloaded fromn their website, you'll see it is actually quite straightforward to complete everything yourself with a bit of time and patience.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

OK I have a bit more time now.. on my break

The key thing about the Community Identified Stream is that you get approval from the RDA - Regional Development Agency. If you don't get that you can't emigrate, and I don't really see how a consultant could help with that because you have to go out there and meet with the RDA yourself and it's on the basis of meetings that they decide whether to support your application.

If you're in the early stages, these would be my thoughts....
Have you decided where in NS you want to go? You have to choose a particular region, and the regions have different takes on the requirements for the CI route, as well as different employment opportunities etc.
You'll have to do some internet browsing of the different counties, and then you'll have to go out there for a recce and see what they're like and whether you want to settle there or not! Then you'll have to get in touch with the RDA and see what their requirements are. Most should be able to give you some info by email or post. You'll have to meet with the RDA in person in NS at least once (depending on which county you've picked and what they like people to do) and if all goes well they will support your application.

At that stage it's just a case of pulling together all the info they need. Some people do pay a consultant to help with this, but unless you've got big medical or criminal issues I'm not sure there is any point parting with your cash. As far as I know, everyone here who has applied through NS CI has done it on their own? The consultant can't help you get the info together, you have to do that yourself whatever happens, so the key is to be reeeally thorough!

You say you think the quote will cover things you would struggle to achieve... what things? Maybe we can reassure you that you can do it yourself
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

I support what izzi81 says - barring any major issues in your background you can save a ton of money by doing it yourself.

I would add that you need to research what the RDA of your chosen area requires from you and how you will approach them. I get the impression that some folk believe CI to be an easy 'back-door' option. If the RDA have the slightest suspicion that you have a less than honest intention of settling in 'their' community, then you are unlikely to get the support needed from them - and without the RDA Letter of Recommendation, your application (when it arrives at NS Immigration) will go nowhere.

Think about what work you can do or would like to do. Research 2-3 likely areas, read up all you can and check the county's RDA website. Then go take a recce vacation for 2 weeks or so. While there, make an appointment to see the RDA in your chosen area and take it from there.