commonlaw

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:14 am
Just Joined

woodywendy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default commonlaw

Hi,

Am new to this forum, can anyone offer advice, my boyfriend and I live in England, he has been offered a job in Vancouver starting in September, all along he has told them that he will be bringing me and my two children to live with him and they have said thats's not a problem as long as we are on the paperwork but have today received an email saying I can only go on his paperwork if we are commonlaw. We have been together for 3 years but do not live actually live together due to the fact that I have been through a divorce etc, although we do spend every night together at either of our properties. Don't know what to do, should we say that we do live together and open a joint bank account etc, how much evidence will we be asked for is it a difficult process to go through. Please can anyone help.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: commonlaw

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

From what you've said, looks like your only option if you want to go on his visa as a dependent is to get married - I'll get my hat! To go as his dependent, you'd have to have lived together for a year or more (and be able to prove it via things like joint utilty bills, rental agreement, bank account, joint insurances etc), or to be married.

Alternatively, you'll need to get a visa on your own so take a look at the Wiki (blue bar at top of page) to see what your visa options are and if you'd qualify for any.

One other thing I should mention is that you describe the children as yours, so if they are from a previous relationship, then you will need their father's written permission to remove them from UK jurisdiction, or a court order to that effect.

HTH, good luck.