Wikiposts

Common Law Visa- Working

Old Jun 19th 2008, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

princesshumla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Common Law Visa- Working

Hello!

So I am preparing my documents for the application to be sponsored by my common law partner, read all the WIKI's and the gov website and all looked good for me to go ahead and apply.

I met a British girl at work today who told me that apparently when you apply for a common law visa and it goes through, you aren't allowed to work for a whole year, as some kind of "proof" that your common law partner can sponsor you.

Is there any validity in this statement as if this is the case I can't apply for the sponsorship.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 3:53 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common Law Visa- Working

No.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 3:54 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by princesshumla
Hello!

So I am preparing my documents for the application to be sponsored by my common law partner, read all the WIKI's and the gov website and all looked good for me to go ahead and apply.

I met a British girl at work today who told me that apparently when you apply for a common law visa and it goes through, you aren't allowed to work for a whole year, as some kind of "proof" that your common law partner can sponsor you.

Is there any validity in this statement as if this is the case I can't apply for the sponsorship.
No, if your application is being processed in-canada, then you submit a request for an open work permit with the application, you cannot work until you receive approval in principle (AIP) about 4/5 months into the process. This assuming that your applying in Canada. Otherwise, you can't work until you receive your PR status.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply..

You said I can't work until I receive AIP, but is it still the case if i'm still on a work permit? I'm 6 months into a 2 year work permit and hope to get the common law process started early to avoid disappointment.

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

No, if your application is being processed in-canada, then you submit a request for an open work permit with the application, you cannot work until you receive approval in principle (AIP) about 4/5 months into the process. This assuming that your applying in Canada. Otherwise, you can't work until you receive your PR status.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 4:32 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by princesshumla
Thanks for the reply..

You said I can't work until I receive AIP, but is it still the case if i'm still on a work permit? I'm 6 months into a 2 year work permit and hope to get the common law process started early to avoid disappointment.
Well if you had given all the facts, like you are already in Canada on a work permit, then the answer would have been different. Yes you can keep working at your job, you just can change without a new LMO.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Sorry, I guess I was a little flustered. Thanks for your help though.

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Well if you had given all the facts, like you are already in Canada on a work permit, then the answer would have been different. Yes you can keep working at your job, you just can change without a new LMO.