Common-in-Law Visa Query

Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:08 am
Just Joined

Cactus Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Common-in-Law Visa Query

My girlfriend (Canadian Citizen) and I (UK Citizen) have common in law status here in the UK and are looking to move to Vancouver together.

Q1. Will having the UK version of what we are applying for expedite the process or is it still fairly difficult?

Q2. Is it best to apply outland and have it sorted before arrival or will we need to provide an exact "landing date" from when the visa will become active?

Q3. Is there anything I am missing or aspects I have not considered?

Thanks in advance for any responses I receive.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:39 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common-in-Law Visa Query

Hi

Originally Posted by Cactus Fan
My girlfriend (Canadian Citizen) and I (UK Citizen) have common in law status here in the UK and are looking to move to Vancouver together.

Q1. Will having the UK version of what we are applying for expedite the process or is it still fairly difficult?

Q2. Is it best to apply outland and have it sorted before arrival or will we need to provide an exact "landing date" from when the visa will become active?

Q3. Is there anything I am missing or aspects I have not considered?

Thanks in advance for any responses I receive.
1. Basic for C/law for CIC sponsorship is that you have lived together for at least one year and have combined your affairs and are seen in the community as a couple.
2. Apply now.
3. Your "spouse" will have to include a letter outlining what steps s/he has taken in regards to housing/schooling/work when you return to Canada, if you are issued a visa. You don't provide a "landing" date, your COPR (visa) will be valid for 1 year after the date of the medical or the expiry of the passport which ever comes first.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 3:52 am
Just Joined

Cactus Fan is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for your kind reply.

Could you please expand on the visa expiry date issue. I was under the impression that the COPR would be valid for as long as we fulfilled the criteria ie the relationship was ongoing, and then if and when I have been in the country long enough to apply for PR status then I could move on to that.

You also mentioned a medical. Is this the same as the process for other visa or will it be more or less strict?

Assuming I have attained this visa, can I work freely as soon as I arrive?

thanks in advance
Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:56 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cactus Fan
Many thanks for your kind reply.

Could you please expand on the visa expiry date issue. I was under the impression that the COPR would be valid for as long as we fulfilled the criteria ie the relationship was ongoing, and then if and when I have been in the country long enough to apply for PR status then I could move on to that.

You also mentioned a medical. Is this the same as the process for other visa or will it be more or less strict?

Assuming I have attained this visa, can I work freely as soon as I arrive?

thanks in advance
COPR is the Confirmation of Permanent Residence. What you need to do once you have this is to land in Canada and "activate" your PR. When you do this a PR card will be sent to you. Thus you don't need to move on to the PR side of things as you'd have that already. The next step after that, if you wish, would be to obtain Canadian Citizenship.

If you have PR then yes, you can work freely, as in, no work permit is required. The only exceptions to this would be occupations that require specific security clearances, as you would need to be a citizen, but I'd say for 99 percent of jobs that would not apply, so you can work wherever you wish.

It sounds as though you're basically looking at the outland common law / spouse sponsorship application. I did the inland version of this as I was living in Canada with my fiance (now wife) who is a Canadian Citizen.